Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Skaters and Long Term Hip Injuries

Custom Title

Skaters and Long Term Hip Injuries

I looked up Todd Eldridge on Wikipedia (since I brought him up in the Greatest Skaters Not to Medal thread) and I saw that he had hip replacement surgery in April 2012. Michelle, Tara, Naoimi Nari, Alyssa and others had surgery to repair torn labrums. Do ongoing hip problems affect the lives of skaters long after they retire, or do they not affect their lives as much once they are done with intense training?

Custom Title
    I would say yes considering Todd retired after SLC in 2002.

Custom Title
    I wonder about someone like Michelle, who had the surgery in 2006 and actually got some of her triples back in her aborted attempt at a comeback. Does she wake up in pain everyday now or is she pain free?

Hate fake smiles and horrendous costumes Meoima's Avatar
    Alexei Yagudin.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by drivingmissdaisy View Post
    I wonder about someone like Michelle, who had the surgery in 2006 and actually got some of her triples back in her aborted attempt at a comeback. Does she wake up in pain everyday now or is she pain free?
    I think--I would hope--Michelle should be okay. She traces that hip injury back to in 2002, and still managed to compete for another three years on it (she probably should've fixed the hip sooner). And she actually got some triples back many years later; no doubt her talent and hard work played a part, but I think it would be difficult if the hip were still bothering her.

The thing is, if Michelle wakes up every day and still feels pain ()... how would someone like Alexei Yagudin or Tara Lipinski feel? Pretty awful to contemplate...

Quote Originally Posted by Sandpiper View Post
    The thing is, if Michelle wakes up every day and still feels pain ()... how would someone like Alexei Yagudin or Tara Lipinski feel? Pretty awful to contemplate...
    Well, Alexei and Tara must have took it really hard. I remember Alexei cried so much at Skate Canada. And Tara. She can skate, but not jump anymore I suppose. Never see her jumps after she was injured.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandpiper View Post
    I think--I would hope--Michelle should be okay. She traces that hip injury back to in 2002, and still managed to compete for another three years on it (she probably should've fixed the hip sooner). And she actually got some triples back many years later; no doubt her talent and hard work played a part, but I think it would be difficult if the hip were still bothering her.
    I'd hope so too. I imagine having your hip replaced is something that you never fully recover from 100% in regards to pain, strength, and range of motion. However, I'm not sure what all is involved with the labrum surgery and if the typical prognosis is full recovery.

Custom Title
    Tessa Virtue has a hip injury too, doesn´t she? I remember Matina talking about it after Sochi when she was asked if she think V/M will continue...

Quote Originally Posted by cruzceleste View Post
    Tessa Virtue has a hip injury too, doesn´t she? I remember Matina talking about it after Sochi when she was asked if she think V/M will continue...
    Tessa had surgeries on her legs, someone said so IIRC.

Celebrating the Excellence of #VirtueMoir golden411's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cruzceleste View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Meoima View Post
    Tessa had surgeries on her legs, someone said so IIRC.
    Tessa Virtue did not have hip injuries. She required surgery for compartment syndrome.

Custom Title
    Ksenia Makarova is not healthy for compete, she got a chronic hip injury! :(

Skating is obviously hard on the hips with all the repetitive stress and abnormal positions. Sometimes the hip joint sockets aren't formed correctly from birth, which I think was the case with Alexei and Naomi. I think it's possible that other skaters could have had some degree of hip dysplasia, that is abnormal shape or too shallow hip joint socket, which predisposed them to injury.

Quote Originally Posted by Amei View Post
    I would say yes considering Todd retired after SLC in 2002.
    True, but thankfully he skated as a pro (and with SOI for 11 years)! If he had medalled in the 1998 Nagano Olympics, I think he might have gone pro then (although that was also the time when there were the pro--am events). He decided to take off 2 seasons from Olympic-eligible competition (Nationals, Worlds, although he did do a GP event in one of those years). He also could have gone to 2002 Worlds, as he made the US team for it, but opted to join SOI right after SLC. That way Matt Savoie got to compete there.

I think the hip injuries had a more severe long term impact on Alexei & Tara. In Alexei's case in particular, since he really wanted to keep competing, but couldn't

Custom Title
    Kurt Browning comes to mind and his back injuries. I don't know that he had surgery but I do know that his back was an issue before the Olys. I think the force of landing some of those triples just takes its toll. OH - Tim Goebel - same thing

Keeper of the Kweens OGM. MK's Winter's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by noskates View Post
    Kurt Browning comes to mind and his back injuries. I don't know that he had surgery but I do know that his back was an issue before the Olys. I think the force of landing some of those triples just takes its toll. OH - Tim Goebel - same thing
    I definitely thought of Tim. All of those quads. Jumping really takes it's toll in the back/hips/knees

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast