Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: 10 World titles

10 World titles

Ulrich Salchow (SWE), Sonja Henie (NOR) and Irina Rodnina (USSR) all won the World Figure Skating Championships 10 times. Times have changed since, so these records will probably never be broken. But never say never! What are your thoughts?

Yulia and Ruslena team forever! Alba's Avatar
    No one, IMO.

Custom Title
    I think the direction the sport has gone on and the level of competition will make it hard to match or beat ten titles.

#TeamAUS
    I dont think the human body can sustain a skater long enough to win ten word titles in this day and age. Spins causing concussions, jumps leading to overuse injuries and hip injuries and the risk of injury in high risk elements! You would need a superhuman to accomplish something like that.

Yeah, I agree with the last two points. It's too bad Plushenko wasn't able to achieve this along with his other great achievements.

Custom Title
    10 World titles in this day and age is impossible. Not only is it hard to stay at a competitive level for so long, a skater would need motivation to continue. I'm sure if D/W or V/M continued (without competition from the other) they might be able to get many given their superiority over the field but what's the point. It's hard enough even making it to 10 World Championships, let alone winning them.

Custom Title
    Not possible anymore due to increased competition and the depth of the skating field currently.

Custom Title
    Theirs was a very different, much much smaller and simpler "world", more like a private club.

Custom Title
    0 chance.
    More people, more competition, and more talents!

On the Ice
    Its going to be awhile until someone else can do it because you need to have:
    -age on your side, you cant win your first title when your 20 years old
    -a relatively ease competition field/ competition you can beat
    -you have to be a great skater!
    - cant get injured
    -can't burn out

Hate fake smiles and horrendous costumes Meoima's Avatar
    Yes, if we can build cyborg skaters. but frankly new model will always triumph old model, we know how fast technology develop these days.

Rinkside
    Quote Originally Posted by blue_idealist View Post
    Yeah, I agree with the last two points. It's too bad Plushenko wasn't able to achieve this along with his other great achievements.
    Doesn't Yagudin have more World title than Plushenko? I thought it was 4 to 3 in Alexei's favor.

Custom Title
    Only possible thing I see is Russia maybe collecting 10 world titles from the Ladies but it'll be different ladies and probably not consecutively, my head hurts just thinking about the amount of talent they have.

Hate fake smiles and horrendous costumes Meoima's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Krunchii View Post
    Only possible thing I see is Russia maybe collecting 10 world titles from the Ladies but it'll be different ladies and probably not consecutively, my head hurts just thinking about the amount of talent they have.
    Me think the same.

Rinkside
    IMO, the biggest difference between the early winners and todays skaters..... Figures ! In those days, one could win a title by winning in figures. This required discipline and mental toughness however, it had a very low impact on a skaters body. Without figures, skaters are required to perform several very difficult jumps if they are to win a title.

Remember Jill's title in 1990. I don't fault her, but that skate wouldn't have been anywhere near the podium without her superior performance in figures.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast