2014-15 Grand Prix assignments | Page 18 | Golden Skate

2014-15 Grand Prix assignments

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I doubt very much that Valentina Marchei will be skating pairs this season instead of singles, regardless of what that Italian paper had to say. She has never skated pairs in her life, and at 29, that is a huge set of skills she doesn't have and couldn't possibly learn over the summer.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Perhaps her motivation, like Joubert's, is to learn enough about pairs to be able to coach pairs, in a pinch?

breathesgelatin

Final Flight
Yeah, the last time Skate America was held in the south was Dallas in 1993. Really, it's only been held in the south twice, 1992 Atlanta and 1993 Dallas. Unless you count Colorado Springs as "south," which I don't.

I was surprised to see it's only ever been held in California once - Oakland 1991...

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Yeah, the last time Skate America was held in the south was Dallas in 1993. Really, it's only been held in the south twice, 1992 Atlanta and 1993 Dallas. Unless you count Colorado Springs as "south," which I don't.

I was surprised to see it's only ever been held in California once - Oakland 1991...

It was in Ontario, Calif. in 2011.

starlight97

Final Flight
Hey guys I'm new here;)
I don't know if anybody has already talked about this here but-
I'm very excited about how well Sotnikova will be able to perform. .. after this whole drama in and after Sochi she really has all eyes on her and if she fails to deliver and say maybe even performs like in the last grand prix final they're really gonna 'rip her apart' if you know what I mean. .
:/
Has anybody else thought about this and is also a bit 'worried' considering her inconsistency over the last few years?

satine

v Yuki Ishikawa v
Record Breaker
Hey guys I'm new here;)
I'm very excited about how well Sotnikova will be able to perform. .. after this whole drama in and after Sochi she really has all eyes on her and if she fails to deliver and say maybe even performs like in the last grand prix final they're really gonna 'rip her apart' if you know what I mean. .
Has anybody else thought about this and is also a bit 'worried' considering her inconsistency over the last few years?

Of course, I feel for her a lot. Anything short of a spectacular performance will be heavily scrutinized by many, many people. I wish her nothing but the best though & I can only hope that people that aren't too fond of her don't spread around heavy criticisms and negativity. There are plenty of skaters I plain don't care for at all but I don't go on ranting about them because that is just unnecessary rudeness. It's out of our hands though, we will just have to wait and see how she performs ;)

starlight97

Final Flight
@satine94
Yes exactly!
I kind of see two possibilities how this could turn out -
Either it pushes her(since she's surely aware of it) and she can channel it into her performances in a positive way..
Or it 'crushes' her like it did so many times in the past when the pressure was there but less...
Really hoping for option number one :)
But that's why I've been thinking, that for example Radionova and skaters like her who are still pretty 'new' and aren't carrying thaaat much weight on their shoulders could really come out this year and surprise a lot of people!
But these are all just thoughts, let's wait and see :)

Krunchii

Record Breaker
Hey guys I'm new here;)

Hmm she's inconsistent but somehow I think she does better after being disappointed? After the GPF meltdown she stood up and brushed herself off and won Nationals and then got a second silver at Euros. After being left off the team event she again brushed herself off, put on her game face and skated her best in the singles competition. Maybe the disappointment of her title being so disputed might motivate her to give it her all, I think she said that she still wants a world title and a Euros title so we'll see.

Totentanz

Ursula Gumennik
Medalist
At least, Adelina has courage and passion to try for achieving more. She has 2 european silvers and the olympic gold but still want to achieve more. After Sochi games, I began to believe her more and more. Before Sochi, I could even say that she will never skate two good programs and win gold. Cause that was what she used to do. Usually good short program performances, but free skate mistakes... Now after Sochi, I believe that she has much more to achieve if she is on fire.

Welcome, Starlight97. Thanks for joining us! :rock:

I think Adelina will be fine. What's done is done. I believe that Adelina will be in the mix with everyone else once the new season begins.

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Don't know if anybody has heard yet, but Mari Vartman and Aaron van Cleeve have been given the NHK slot that has been vacated by Felicia Zhang and Nathan Bartholomay, who have withdrawn (see this thread for more)

Don't know who has got the Skate Canada slot, though.

Here is the announcement on Mari and Aaron's Facebook Page:

https://www.facebook.com/Vartmann.Vancleave/posts/695724730476922

I think they're happy! ;) :biggrin:

CaroLiza_fan