2014-15 Grand Prix assignments | Page 17 | Golden Skate

2014-15 Grand Prix assignments

icellist

On the Ice
something that's been bothering about the GP assignments is that it currently confirms assignments for

top 12 at Worlds, top 24 season best and top 24 world ranking

would it be too hard for them to include top 24 season ranking? I know there'd be a lot of overlap but it helps rising juniors or seniors who had a good season like Samantha Cesario...

jace93

On the Ice
I'm not sure this approach is the best one. IMO He would be better served in competing the program he intends to use after the summer as many times as possible at these summer comps and the current approach doesn't provide for that. In his FS at the Olympics he 3a + 3t<; 3a< ; singled a planned 2a; and got 0 points for the 3l he did. Jason is behind the curve jump wise. He and Hanyu are both 19 and Hanyu has being doing quads for quite awhile. I don't believe Jason has ever competed with a quad jump and at this point his 3a is hardly that steadfast. Maybe he will prove to be a late bloomer jump wise. I hope so, because he has other very extraordinary qualities.

Patrick chan didn't start to put a quad toe in his program until the 2010-2011 season, but the quad toe has become one of his most reliable jumps, far more then the 3axel or even the triple lutz or the double axel

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
^I was just about to mention that. Patrick didn't start quads until he was 19-20, but his quad toe is quite reliable (and his 4T-3T is extremely beautiful when landed). On the other hand, the 3A is an eternal plague for him, and I fear that could be the case for Jason as well. In fact, Patrick's 3A seemed to get worse and worse after he got the quad, and he even seems to struggle with the 2A sometimes. (However, Lambiel's 3A was the worst of the lot--at least Patrick usually did a flawed 3A instead of hand downs/step outs on a 2A. And Lambiel won two World titles and Olympic silver).

If Jason's focus is to be a great entertainer and rely on high PCS, I have mixed feelings on him trying a quad that's not steady for him. Since he relies on his performances rather than his technical skill, he should probably avoid huge visible errors because those really do cut into performances. However, seems like PCS aren't tied much to technical merit these days, so maybe he'll do fine even if he falls on a quad... I do think he should practice getting the quad out there under high-pressure scenarios, but only if he's actually hitting them in practice. Please no choreographed falls...

w4300

Rinkside
1.) I think the main difference is that the club seats give you access to a separate food/drink area and entrance. As far as view to the ice, I don't think it's that different.
2.) The tickets go on sale for single sales on Aug. 1. There should be all-event passes still available. I'd wait until Aug. 1 and then see if you can find two seats next to each other. You may want to call Sears Center directly to make this arrangement.
3.) It probably won't be super crowded.

I'll let the locals answer the parking question.

There is ample parking but it isn't free. I believeI read that it is $15 day with in and out privileges

samson

Medalist
I was wondering if anyone has thoughts about what will happen with Hotarek and Berton's slots now that they are no longer competing?

They were slated for Skate America and Rostelecom Cup.

Amei

Record Breaker
There is ample parking but it isn't free. I believeI read that it is $15 day with in and out privileges

If there's a warehouse store within a reasonable distance, park there and walk to the arena :slink:

Country
Russia
something that's been bothering about the GP assignments is that it currently confirms assignments for

top 12 at Worlds, top 24 season best and top 24 world ranking

would it be too hard for them to include top 24 season ranking? I know there'd be a lot of overlap but it helps rising juniors or seniors who had a good season like Samantha Cesario...

The only Ladies of Top24 Season Ranking, who are not at Top24 of WR and SB, are Samantha Cesario and Nikol Gosviani.
They both have one GP Event. And remember - two GP Events are guaranteed only for Worlds Top12.

I see no difference.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The only Ladies of Top24 Season Ranking, who are not at Top24 of WR and SB, are Samantha Cesario and Nikol Gosviani.
They both have one GP Event. And remember - two GP Events are guaranteed only for Worlds Top12.

I see no difference.

If you removed the retired skaters (Suzuki, Kim, Lacoste) Cesario is in the top 24 of the ISU World Ranking (she was #25 before the removal). If Nagasu at #23 and Leonova at #28 could get two assignments---and they didn't compete at Worlds either, then why not Cesario?

b-man

Final Flight
Agree, Cesario should get 2 assignments. The US Fed could wait to see, after the normal withdrawals, if one of the other 5 GP's select Cesario. If that doesn't happen, the US Fed can and should use their TBD at SA to select Cesario. The US ladies, at 16 named entries plus 1 TBD, 17 total, are already close to the max of 18 entries, (6 GP's X max 3 per country equals maximum 18 entries.)

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Currently, the only event where there are not three ladies (other than SA w/ the TBD) is Skate Canada. There's a few possibilities:

1.) There is speculation that Vanessa Lam may not end up taking her assignment at Rotelecom Cup. She currently not on the ISP or on any funding envelopes.
2.) If the rumor is true that Marchei is trying out pairs and she isn't going to do singles, then a spot opens up at Skate Canada.
3.) China could opt to not use their TBD spot. I would be surprised if this actually happens, but it seems there's not a ton of girls they're eager to send.
4.) And obviously she can get the TBD at Skate America.

Country
Russia
Currently, the only event where there are not three ladies (other than SA w/ the TBD) is Skate Canada. There's a few possibilities:

1.) There is speculation that Vanessa Lam may not end up taking her assignment at Rotelecom Cup. She currently not on the ISP or on any funding envelopes.
2.) If the rumor is true that Marchei is trying out pairs and she isn't going to do singles, then a spot opens up at Skate Canada.
3.) China could opt to not use their TBD spot. I would be surprised if this actually happens, but it seems there's not a ton of girls they're eager to send.
4.) And obviously she can get the TBD at Skate America.

Second spot (if not Worlds Top-12) is given only by Season Best.
And we see - Cesario (27th SB) has one spot, Hicks (29th) - two spots.
Of course, it means some games of USFS.

Maybe, Cesario's spot is given to Vanessa Lam.
Maybe, USFS has a hope that Ceasrio will have spot by substitute, it not - TBD spot at SA. Nobody deserves it more than Cesario.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Guys, please report posts if you feel one breaks the guidelines. Or ignore the user. Please do not bicker with each other. Also unless you have valid proof, please keep the conspiracy theories to yourself.

ShellyC

Rinkside
Does anyone know how much the tickets for the grand prix final in Barcelona will be? I'll be able to get them as soon as they go on sale and will be happy with mediocre-bad seats! Thank you