2014-15 Grand Prix assignments | Page 16 | Golden Skate

2014-15 Grand Prix assignments

Icey

Record Breaker
Don't know what the problem is for me. Both vids: play, stop, play, stop,play........... Haven't had any trouble with vids until this.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Same here:bang:

I'm going to clear my cookies and delete my history. Don't know wh but that helps sometimes.

Isabel_O'Reilly

Final Flight
Same here:bang:

I'm going to clear my cookies and delete my history. Don't know wh but that helps sometimes.

Not that I'm saying you should keep them or anything, but you can download them by clicking on the symbol with the down arrow and line beneath them. That opens a new tab and then just click on download in the green.

Icey

Record Breaker
The only way I could watch them was to let them completely download---which took considerable time---and then click on the progress bar at the beginning to play. I have the uneasy feeling Jason is going down the same road as Sawyer: great artistry, breathtaking positions and artistry, but undone by the jumps as far as competition goes. I sincerely hope I am wrong. My iMac is only about two years old, so I am puzzled about what is causing this problem.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
The only way I could watch them was to let them completely download---which took considerable time---and then click on the progress bar at the beginning to play. I have the uneasy feeling Jason is going down the same road as Sawyer: great artistry, breathtaking positions and artistry, but undone by the jumps as far as competition goes. I sincerely hope I am wrong. My iMac is only about two years old, so I am puzzled about what is causing this problem.

I wouldn't worry too much. His programs were pretty rough at Broadmoor last year too. And in the jumps competition he did some nice 3As.

Components

Match Penalty
Tara Lipinski too, at Olympics she was two-times gold medalist of Grand Prix Final (at that time it was called Championship Series Final).

She also competed at the WC in 1996 and turned in one of the best Free Skates of the competition (and I think the most difficult as well).

supsu

On the Ice
How does a jump competition work? Just wondering...and i guess Jason didn't try 4t because we would´ve heard of it by now. By Mrs. P :p

OMG, i just watched the long program. :eek: Worked perfectly btw.
Anyways, that is an awesome piece of music and very dramatic. I've admired Jason's skills but he's not been my cup of tea, but this darker program gives me the chills already! There were some very nice parts, but i hate the times when skaters "show their hands" in a very dramatic part of music, Jason had one moment of these.. but never mind. What was his layout in the program? The second jump will be the quad i suppose. Did he have a second 3a? Yes, i played very close attention to the jumps... :laugh:

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
How does a jump competition work? Just wondering...and i guess Jason didn't try 4t because we would´ve heard of it by now. By Mrs. P :p

A jumps competition is basically where the entrants come on the ice, do a series of jumps, on which they are judged. So Jason came out and did two 3As, and two 3Lzs from different entries. (I think he won?). Jordan Moeller did a 3A, two attempts at 4T, and 3Lz (from a very cool hydroblade). Jason didn't do the 4T, I was thinking he might, but he didn't.

supsu

On the Ice
So they don't have a set they must perform but just what they decide to earn points? How many jumps do they need and and other questions.. :D i think i need to find the rules. That would be so cool to watch too. Oh no. i guess i need to get the stream next year. That would be a fun add to the go-series. Have them compete before short programs or something.. :clap:

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
So they don't have a set they must perform but just what they decide to earn points? How many jumps do they need and and other questions.. :D i think i need to find the rules. That would be so cool to watch too. Oh no. i guess i need to get the stream next year. That would be a fun add to the go-series. Have them compete before short programs or something.. :clap:

I don't think there's any required set of jumps, no. I think at Broadmoor each skater did four jumps. It was pretty cool and originally I renewed my subscription to the stream just for that.

I think it would be lots of fun to have at Worlds or even the Olympics if they want to hand out more medals - jump and spin competitions. Can you imagine if such a thing was part of competition in Plushenko and Yagudin's heyday? :laugh:

katmari

Final Flight
Country
United-States

Jason did a series of blog entries for ice network last year and in this one from 8/29/13 he explained his summer training for Riverdance:

What I did this year, which has been different than other years, is progressively add triples into my program when I compete. For example, for Broadmoor, instead of doing all planned elements, we planned to make certain jumps doubles. By Glacier Falls, we added in a few more of the planned elements, but, yet again, didn't do everything planned. I've truly loved approaching the summer events this way, because it makes the program feel more manageable.

We all know how this approach worked out for him last year. ;)

erasona

Rinkside
Hey GS!

A bit off topic from the thread title and the current train of posts, but I wanted to ask if anyone here has gone to Skate America. I just had a few questions :)

1. Is there that big a difference in the $175 and $125? I saw that for the $125 tier, there are reserved seats...?
2. I have a friend that will watch 1-2 shows on Saturday. I was wondering is it'd be cheaper to buy single event tickets, but I'm wondering if with the full event passes, we can still sit with her?
3. Will SA be very crowded? I've seen some videos and it seems quite empty? Won't it be the same in a post-Olympic season?
4. For any of the Chicago locals, how is parking in tbe Sears arena?

Thank you!

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Hey GS!

A bit off topic from the thread title and the current train of posts, but I wanted to ask if anyone here has gone to Skate America. I just had a few questions :)

1. Is there that big a difference in the $175 and $125? I saw that for the $125 tier, there are reserved seats...?
2. I have a friend that will watch 1-2 shows on Saturday. I was wondering is it'd be cheaper to buy single event tickets, but I'm wondering if with the full event passes, we can still sit with her?
3. Will SA be very crowded? I've seen some videos and it seems quite empty? Won't it be the same in a post-Olympic season?
4. For any of the Chicago locals, how is parking in tbe Sears arena?

Thank you!

1.) I think the main difference is that the club seats give you access to a separate food/drink area and entrance. As far as view to the ice, I don't think it's that different.
2.) The tickets go on sale for single sales on Aug. 1. There should be all-event passes still available. I'd wait until Aug. 1 and then see if you can find two seats next to each other. You may want to call Sears Center directly to make this arrangement.
3.) It probably won't be super crowded.

I'll let the locals answer the parking question.

Icey

Record Breaker
Jason did a series of blog entries for ice network last year and in this one from 8/29/13 he explained his summer training for Riverdance:

We all know how this approach worked out for him last year. ;)

I'm not sure this approach is the best one. IMO He would be better served in competing the program he intends to use after the summer as many times as possible at these summer comps and the current approach doesn't provide for that. In his FS at the Olympics he 3a + 3t<; 3a< ; singled a planned 2a; and got 0 points for the 3l he did. Jason is behind the curve jump wise. He and Hanyu are both 19 and Hanyu has being doing quads for quite awhile. I don't believe Jason has ever competed with a quad jump and at this point his 3a is hardly that steadfast. Maybe he will prove to be a late bloomer jump wise. I hope so, because he has other very extraordinary qualities.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Jason is a not a natural jumper like Hanyu or even someone like Josh Farris. He will probably always struggle with the 3A like Chan did. He stalks it a bit like Adam Rippon who has never mastered the jump either but that doesn't mean Jason won't get the quad. Lambiel didn't have a good 3A either but he could do quads same with Chan.

shiroKJ

Back to the forest you go.
Record Breaker
You can't compare Jason's technical's to Hanyu's because Hanyu has been doing quads since he was 14/15, and 3A's are like second nature to him. Some people are late bloomer's, much like Machida. He's still very young and has lots of time to work on the quad. I don't see him as a gold contender, but I definitely see him as a podium threat in the coming years. Plus, he's such a joy to watch and you don't need to win medals to win over people's hearts, which I think is most important :) As for his 3A, we can only wait and see. 3A's are the achilles heel to many of great skaters so even if he doesn't master it, its not a catastrophe.

HanDomi

Record Breaker
There is also diffrent approach in jumps stuff between Jason and Yuzuru. For me personally he should be trying this quad in program even if it is not 100 % secure. Why ? Because he needs to get more experience under pressure with it. But it is just my feelings, I am not his coach ho knows better how to deal with him. In comparison Yuzuru is jumping this 3A's and quads like nothing in exhibitions, shows. He is just taking fun with them and this jumps are coming to him more neutral, no fear attempting them.
I don't think 3A will be ever 100% secure for him, it just always look barely done. I think the same case will be here as with Stephane and Patrick :scowl: But as mentioned upper it doesn't mean he will not have quad.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
This goes back to strategy, ultimately.

Jason is good at selling programs. He has tons of charisma and projects well the choreography Rohene gives him. His m.o. even as far as a novice skater is to skate programs with detail and attention to the program and, generally, skate 'em clean.

Jason knows he's behind the other skaters technically. Instead of making a big deal about it, he (and his team) choose to focus on the stuff he can shine in.

Anyway, we have lots of threads to talk about this:

http://www.goldenskate.com/forum/showthread.php?51129-The-best-strategy-for-your-favorite-skater
http://www.goldenskate.com/forum/sh...-game-of-COP-A-case-study&p=955790#post955790

Last edited: