2014-15 Grand Prix assignments | Page 10 | Golden Skate

2014-15 Grand Prix assignments

Country
Russia
Top 12 highest finishers at worlds guaranteed 2 assignments: Lipnitskaia, Pogorilaya, Gold, Wagner, Edmunds, Park, Murakami, Osmond, Weinzierl, Daleman, J. Helgesson, Meite (24 spots)

The top 24 season's best/world ranking guaranteed one (all got 2; 20 spots):
SB: Sotnikova (1), Radionova (10) Miyahara (13) Li (15), Leonova (19), Tuktamysheva (20), Imai (22)
WR: Marchei (13) Hicks (18) Gao (19)

That leaves 28 spots. There are 6 host picks that are TBD.

After that host nations can opt to invite anyone from the top 75 in SB (and/or WR?), which they did (for the most part):
Cesario (27 SB; 25 WR)
H.J. Kim (31 SB; 38 WR)
Chartrand (32 SB; 35 WR)
Cain (40 SB; 109 WR )
Mallet (43; 66 WR)
Hongo (44; 29 WR)
K. Zhang (45 SB; 45 WR)
Gosviani (46 SB; 27 WR)
Wang (47 SB; 54 WR)
V. Helgesson (50 SB; 15 WR)
Oba (52 SB ; 39WR)
Han (54 SB; 32 WR)
Gedevanishvili (55; 51 WR)
Popova (58 SB; 33 WR)
Brezinova (59 SB ;46 WR)
Ovcharova (62 SB; 70 WR)
Gjersem (64; 92 WR)
Lecavelier (73 SB; 49 WR)

Artemyeva and Lam, however do not fit either of the criteria...so I guess :headscrach:

Rules are as follows:
1. 12 best of Worlds (who participate in GP) have 2 spots.
2. Top24 of WS and Top24 of SB have 1 spot, even if they are in both Top24.
(no JrWorlds medalists and JGP winner this season - they are not eligible by age, except Redionova who has high places in WS and SB lists)
3. All remaining spots are filled by SB.

Home spots may be filled as host federation wants, with no limits at all in fact.

Artemyeva and Lam have (for rules) right only on home spot. But have other spots.
In Men Znan Bush (Russia) and Stephen CARRIERE (USA) too.
I believe, it is becasuse nobody who could refuse it did not so.

Btw, Lecavelier has home spot, so she is not out of rules.

Country
Russia
The real shocker for me: NO KOVTUN AT COR. This really threw me for a loop. I don't know what to think about it. I thought for sure he'd get it - a little home scoring after all. But Voronov and Kolyada and one TBD. Kovtun at COC and TEB? Seems...strange!
In fact, nothing strange.
Russians treat COC ond TEB as best GP Events, better than COR.

Jannetty

Spectator
ISU has new rules this year:
In order for a skater/couple to be eligible to compete at a Grand Prix event, a minimum total score or minimum technical score must have been achieved in the previous or current season in an ISU event (GP, JGP, Championships, WTT or U.S. International Figure Skating Classic, Nebelhorn Trophy, Ondrej Nepala Trophy, Finlandia Trophy, Coupe de Nice). Exceptions apply to host country skaters, previously ranked skaters or split ranked couples who return with new partners. The minimum score for the 2014/15 season is as follows:

130.02 points for Ladies
169.56 points for Men
134.94 points for Pairs
105.27 points for Ice Dance
http://www.isu.org/en/single-and-pa...news/2014/06/isu-gp-2014-selections-announced

Artemieva - Coupe de Nice 2013 (1 place)
Lam - Finalandia Trophy 2013 (5 place)
Bush - Coupe de Nice 2013 (3 place)
Carriere-U.S. Int. FS Classics 2013 (2 place)

Country
Russia
Woah, Team USA Men war going on here? :laugh:

Jeremy will retire when he wants to retire.

I can't understand FS fans who want to retire non-degrading skaters. Let them skate as long as they want and can and we will enjoy their skating.

Jeremy is not degrading, he is reigning US Champion and skated well at Worlds.
Not so good at Olympics - yes. But who cah say about him/her self that he/she newer made mistakes? Skaters also are people and may make mistakes.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
I have no problem with Abbott continuing. He is still a good skater, and far from the pathetic, sad, and downright scary case say Fumie Suguri has become. Now that is someone it makes sense for people must retire for their own sanity, but not Jeremy. He is an Olympic medalist from last year and had Fernandez or Machida had an off competition at worlds might have won his first individual medal at a worlds. He is also last years U.S Champion. I think one of the reasons some American posters are calling for him to retire is they are scared he will beat their favorites and take a spot on next years U.S world team because of it (with good reason as he is very much a threat to this); which is proof in fact that he is still a real threat, a strong skater and competitor, and that he should not feel he has to retire if he does not wish to.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Let's not have a reprise of yesterday's us men flame war, please? Each of the men, as Sandpiper pointed out nicely, all have strengths and weaknesses. Let's see how it plays out this season!

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Jeremy and Jason earned their spots at last year's Olympics and Worlds, and this year's GP assignments under discussion.

Some fans find Jason lovable and Arhur's tweet sounds nasty, and fans may choose their favorites based on perceived personalities, but all skaters' rights to compete and their placements should be and are earned by their on ice performances.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Jeremy and Jason earned their spots at last year's Olympics and Worlds, and this year's GP assignments under discussion.

Some fans find Jason lovable and Arhur's tweet sounds nasty, and fans may choose their favorites based on perceived personalities, but all skaters' rights to compete and their placements should be and are earned by their on ice performances.

Yep! :thumbsup:

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I have no problem with Abbott continuing. He is still a good skater, and far from the pathetic, sad, and downright scary case say Fumie Suguri has become. Now that is someone it makes sense for people must retire for their own sanity, but not Jeremy. He is an Olympic medalist from last year and had Fernandez or Machida had an off competition at worlds might have won his first individual medal at a worlds. He is also last years U.S Champion. I think one of the reasons some American posters are calling for him to retire is they are scared he will beat their favorites and take a spot on next years U.S world team because of it (with good reason as he is very much a threat to this); which is proof in fact that he is still a real threat, a strong skater and competitor, and that he should not feel he has to retire if he does not wish to.
Jeremy is an Olympic medalist only thanks to the other skaters on the US Team who didn't bomb like he did. He's not Plushenko who's one of the greatest competitors ever but a 29 year old skating against kids that can out jump him any day of the week and can hold it together better then Jeremey can when the chips are down.

Country
Russia

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
Jeremy is an Olympic medalist only thanks to the other skaters on the US Team who didn't bomb like he did. He's not Plushenko who's one of the greatest competitors ever but a 29 year old skating against kids that can out jump him any day of the week and can hold it together better then Jeremey can when the chips are down.
All correct. But he should still continue if he wants to.

w4300

Rinkside
I am thrilled with the SA assignments. It will be the first skating competition I have ever attended and happy to see some of my favorites there. Should be a lot of fun.

I am thrilled with the SA assignments. It will be the first skating competition I have ever attended and happy to see some of my favorites there. Should be a lot of fun.

It will be! :rock: My first Skate America was 2002 in Spokane. If you have a chance to hang out at the hotel that the skaters are staying at, they are always glad to meet fans. :yes:

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

Yeah...pretty good field. I'm thinking about going too but might shoot for GPF instead. I mean, if im getting in a plane it might as well land in Spain...right:) I'm sure your going to have a great time.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
It will be! :rock: My first Skate America was 2002 in Spokane. If you have a chance to hang out at the hotel that the skaters are staying at, they are always glad to meet fans. :yes:

I've stayed twice at the DoubleTree by O'Hare and met famous people there in the lounge both times. Chicago is a cool place to visit. Anyone know how close to O'Hare the venue is?

Jannetty

Spectator
In order for a skater/couple to be eligible to compete at a Grand Prix event, a minimum total score or minimum technical score must have been achieved in the previous or current season in an ISU event (GP, JGP, Championships, WTT or U.S. International Figure Skating Classic, Nebelhorn Trophy, Ondrej Nepela Trophy, Finlandia Trophy, Coupe de Nice). Exceptions apply to host country skaters, previously ranked skaters or split ranked couples who return with new partners.

I understand this part as follows: If you scored well at a Senior B Competetion (listed above), you are eligible for any GP event. If you have not fulfill this requirement, you still can participate but only as a home country skater. Artemieva, Lam, Bush and Carriere scored well at those selected Senior B competitions so they all were eligible for picking up but were not guaranteed any spots.

Country
Russia
GP Men sorted by Season Best

2 293.25 Yuzuru HANYU JPN 3 6
3 282.26 Tatsuki MACHIDA JPN 1 5
4 275.93 Javier FERNANDEZ ESP 2 4
7 255.10 Denis TEN KAZ 1 5
8 252.55 Sergei VORONOV RUS 4 6
9 247.37 Maxim KOVTUN RUS 3 5
10 246.35 Jeremy ABBOTT USA 1 6
11 246.20 Han YAN CHN 3 5
12 243.09 Jason BROWN USA 1 4
13 242.56 Takahito MURA JPN 2 6
14 241.24 Adam RIPPON USA 2 5
15 239.87 Peter LIEBERS GER 3 6
16 238.36 Max AARON USA 2 4
17 238.02 Takahiko KOZUKA JPN 2 4
18 237.24 Konstantin MENSHOV RUS 2 5
19 236.98 Michal BREZINA CZE 2 4
20 236.09 Nan SONG CHN 3 5
23 224.86 Alexander MAJOROV SWE 2 4
24 224.44 Richard DORNBUSH USA 3 5
25 224.19 Chafik BESSEGHIER FRA 1 5
26 222.23 Kevin REYNOLDS CAN 2 6
27 221.00 Joshua FARRIS USA 3 6
30 217.06 Nam NGUYEN CAN 1 3
31 216.24 Adian PITKEEV RUS 1 5
32 214.26 Jinlin GUAN CHN 6
33 214.04 Jorik HENDRICKX BEL 1
34 213.39 Florent AMODIO FRA 2 5
35 213.09 Ivan RIGHINI ITA 4 6
36 211.49 Artur GACHINSKI RUS 1
37 211.24 Alexei BYCHENKO ISR 1
39 210.02 Keiji TANAKA JPN 3
40 208.51 Jeremy TEN CAN 4
42 205.19 Elladj BALDE CAN 2
43 203.26 Misha GE UZB 3
44 202.80 Jin Seo KIM KOR 6
46 201.26 Mikhail KOLYADA RUS 4
48 198.82 Michael MARTINEZ PHI 1
50 196.89 Ross MINER USA 6
60 185.22 Yi WANG CHN 3

Liam FIRUS CAN 2
Zhan BUSH RUS 3
Stephen CARRIERE USA 4

We see - all skaters to 31th in GS list have two Events.
Also Amodio (34) and Rigini (35) have two Events. Rigini because of his place at Worlds, Amodio - one of Events is at home.

All skaters to 44th place who have not GP Events retired or skip season or prefer JGP.

Top5 of substitutes are
32 214.26 Jinlin GUAN CHN 6
33 214.04 Jorik HENDRICKX BEL 1
36 211.49 Artur GACHINSKI RUS 1
37 211.24 Alexei BYCHENKO ISR 1
39 210.02 Keiji TANAKA JPN 3
It is for now, situation will change after fillng TBD spots. GACHINSKI and TANAKA may have home spots.

Others in Substitute list
40 208.51 Jeremy TEN CAN 4
42 205.19 Elladj BALDE CAN 2
43 203.26 Misha GE UZB 3
44 202.80 Jin Seo KIM KOR 6
45 201.74 Artur DMITRIEV RUS
46 201.26 Mikhail KOLYADA RUS 4
47 199.64 Ryuju HINO JPN
48 198.82 Michael MARTINEZ PHI 1
49 197.35 Andrei ROGOZINE CAN
50 196.89 Ross MINER USA 6

We can see who may have GP spots by substitute.

Numbers at the end of line mean numbers of GP Events (1 to 6).
1 - Skate America
2 - Skate Canada
3 - Cup of China
4 - Rostelecom Cup
5 - TEB
6 - NHK Trophy

supsu

On the Ice
I know. We have to, in a way, thank them for breaking up, not only for the utter Better Than Reality TV of it all, but because it really makes the Ice Dancing playing field totally OPEN in a way it hasn't been in at least SIX years. AND Hurtado/Diaz in TWO events. Admittedly, I'm dreading an onslaught of Carmen-esque Paso Dobles, but you can't have everything...

Oh, but do i wish they had made a reality tv show about the break-up and the new couples! I would've been clued to the tv screen... :popcorn:

w4300

Rinkside

Unfortunately (or fortunately as the case may be) I live 10 minutes away from the venue so will be commuting

w4300

Rinkside
I've stayed twice at the DoubleTree by O'Hare and met famous people there in the lounge both times. Chicago is a cool place to visit. Anyone know how close to O'Hare the venue is?

Ohare is about 30-40 minutes east of the venue, longer depending on traffic. If driving you would head out west on the Jane Adams Tollway and exit at Beverly Road and you are right there