Page 18 of 32 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ... LastLast

Thread: 2014-15 Grand Prix assignments

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by YLFan View Post
    I don't get why the age was raised to 15. If 14 year olds could compete it would make some of these fields look a lot better and let some rising stars get their feet wet instead of putting some girls out there who are basically C level.
    Because they have the frigging JUNIOR GRAND PRIX for a reason? What next, are you going to start whinging that the minimum age of 13 for the JGP is totally cruel and it should be lowered to 10 so the baby Russian jumping beans can go on it?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by karne View Post
    Because they have the frigging JUNIOR GRAND PRIX for a reason? What next, are you going to start whinging that the minimum age of 13 for the JGP is totally cruel and it should be lowered to 10 so the baby Russian jumping beans can go on it?

Custom Title
    Why do you have to be so rude? I mean it's obvious they changed the age this year to stop the influx of talent, particularly from certain countries but that remark was just uncalled for. It's not like you were talking to someone and something slipped out without meaning to. You could have considered what you said before you posted. If I didn't figuratively choke back most of the things I wished to say I would have been banned for many of my remarks.

And the only mention was of the sudden change for the SGP so don't start putting words in peoples mouth about the age for the JGP. Also you shouldn't use "Russian jumping beans" when we can tell you're just using it to try and dismiss the pure talent that's coming.

Banned
    The suggestion about juniors is actually a good idea But I would just lower it to 12

Tripping on the Podium
    While "Russian jumping beans" is clearly an exaggeration and you need not take too much offense to it (I'm sure other countries would kill for that kind of young talent, regardless of whether or not it lasts), to have little girls compete against ladies and win on the basis of their ability to churn out jumps that would not be possible post puberty seems a little silly.

I mean it's a similar argument in the gymnastics scene. (remember the Chinese team?). Anyway, don't forget that one of the reason many sports have age minimums in the first place is that you don't push kids too hard physically during a prime stage of development, too. I don't want to think about the implications on the men's side where all the sudden 12 year olds are expected to start hitting consistent quads...

Love popcorn, hate horendous costumes Meoima's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by aromaticchicken View Post
    While "Russian jumping beans" is clearly an exaggeration and you need not take too much offense to it (I'm sure other countries would kill for that kind of young talent, regardless of whether or not it lasts), to have little girls compete against ladies and win on the basis of their ability to churn out jumps that would not be possible post puberty seems a little silly.

I mean it's a similar argument in the gymnastics scene. (remember the Chinese team?). Anyway, don't forget that one of the reason many sports have age minimums in the first place is that you don't push kids too hard physically during a prime stage of development, too. I don't want to think about the implications on the men's side where all the sudden 12 year olds are expected to start hitting consistent quads...
    Agree! I mean I don't think it's good for boys younger than 15 doing quad after quad, very bad for their health. As well as for the girls, just look at what happened to Tara Lipninski!

Quote Originally Posted by aromaticchicken View Post

You might be exaggerating, but how many men in Junior have we even seen attempt quads? The tiny amount who have were/are all 15 or older.

For the whole age rule thing, either you are the best, or you aren't. Period. Age should have nothing to do with it.

If you do happen to be the best in the world at a young age, why restrict that talent? They would be that good regardless of any age restriction imposed.

Custom Title
    Look what happened to Liza Tuk---her first year in the GP was fine, then she grew and she went downhill. Sot romped in the JGP then struggled in the GP because of growth. If they had stayed in the JGP for those years they would have continued to win while they grew.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Amei View Post
    I think it's good for it to be consistent whether it be to increase the GP age or decrease Worlds/Olympics age. I wonder if the ISU will try to force countries, like Russia, that allow skaters to compete at Sr. Nationals at 12/13 years old. A couple of years Russia has had to send their 5th (2011) and 4th/7th (2012) finishers to Euros because the higher finishers weren't age eligible.
    Not only Russians.
    USA has no age limits at all, only limits of level. Mirai Nagasu became US Champion being 14, not eligible to ISU Senior Championships.

I believe, it is inner deal of federations.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckm View Post
    Look what happened to Liza Tuk---her first year in the GP was fine, then she grew and she went downhill. Sot romped in the JGP then struggled in the GP because of growth. If they had stayed in the JGP for those years they would have continued to win while they grew.
    I don't think Liza is a good example because in her first two seasons at the senior GP she got two golds, a silver and a bronze, made the GPF both times and won a medal at Europeans. She started to struggle last season, at 17 y.o., her second full season as a senior by any rules.

I liked previous age limits more, it gave youngsters an opportunity to test themselfs as seniors and compete with the best skaters in the World at the Grand Prix before going to the big events. IMO, skaters like Julia, Adelina, Liza and even Mao benefitted from it, because by the time they were going to Europeans/Worlds (and in Julias case to the Olympics) they skated at the Grand Prix for two seasons and were already well known and quite experienced

Custom Title
    The youngest Russian girl at JrNats was afaik Anastasia Gubanova (2014, 11 years and few days less than 2 months old, 7th place).
    At about the same age (about 1 month elder) was at her first JrNats Evgenia Medvedeva (12th place).
    Radionova had her first JrNats being 12 (and was 4th - very talented girl), Sakhanvich - few days before her 12th birthday (was 12th).
    Sotnikova and Tuktamysheva also were 12 at their first JrNats.

And Gubanova is not a "bean", she is really nice skater. Her SP at JrNats http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=04RX5heUbhM

Russia does not need to lower minimum JGP age.
    With existing limit Russian girls have 2 to 3 JGP Final medals (including gold medal) at 4 seasons from 2010 to 2013.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucky Star View Post
    I liked previous age limits more, it gave youngsters an opportunity to test themselfs as seniors and compete with the best skaters in the World at the Grand Prix before going to the big events. IMO, skaters like Julia, Adelina, Liza and even Mao benefitted from it, because by the time they were going to Europeans/Worlds (and in Julias case to the Olympics) they skated at the Grand Prix for two seasons and were already well known and quite experienced
    Tara Lipinski too, at Olympics she was two-times gold medalist of Grand Prix Final (at that time it was called Championship Series Final).

Custom Title
    Here's my belated thoughts on the GP assignments

Ladies
    - Elated Ashley Cain got an assignment as she seems to have been working really hard since Nationals
    - Happy to see Wagner lucked into the easiest field with Skate Canada. Hopefully if she can start the GP strong, that will be a good confidence booster.
    -I think some people are discounting Polina. I'll be surprised if she's not on the podium at her 2 events and I won't be surprised if she upsets Gracie and/or Sotnikova at NHK. Thrilled we'll get to see 2 of the top Americans head to head. Adelina v. Anna will also be interesting.
    -Suprised in a good way USFS picked Radionova. I thought they'd want to keep the field as weak as possible for princess Gracie. If Gracie can win here, that's a more legit victory.
    -On the one hand, I'm happy with the vote of confidence the USFS gave Mirai by sending her to SA. From a larger US standpoint though, I think it was stupid. She would have definitely gotten 2 spots elsewhere and the host picks could have been used to give Cesario or Cain a second assignment or Miller or Long a first assignment.

Men's
    -I'm not so knowledgable here and the men are unpredictable. I knew they would give SA to both Jeremy and Jason and I think that's the fairest way to do it. Excited to see what Farris can do this fall.

Pairs
    -Thrilled that my new favorites Kayne & O'Shea got 2 assignments. A medal would be kind of miraculous in those fields but who knows?
    -Does anyone really think Kaviguti & Smirnov will be able to come back/stay heathy? I just don't see it and was surprised to see them with 2 assignments.
    -Scimeca and Knierim getting SA over Zhang/Bartholomay seems like a slight or at least an indicator of who USFS prefers. With C/S out, I think Z/B earned the spot that typically goes to the top US finisher of the last season.
    -Have a feeling it will be a good fall for Duhamel and Radford.
    -Glad to see Leng/Shnapir will be on the GP but not until November when they've had some time. Excited to see all the new pairs actually.
    -Really sad not to see Dylan and Lubov. I had a feeling Russia might make this difficult for them. SC didn't even hold a TBA spot in pairs :(

Dance
    -Curious to see if Chock and Bates with a little bit of home support/judging will be able to beat B&S at SA.
    -So excited for the senior debut of Hawayek and Baker. I expect they may overtake Aldridge/Eaton right out of the gate. A big thing to watch will be how their scores are looking relative to the Shibs and H/D/
    -Paul/Islam seem to have tougher events but it will be exciting to see them head to Gilles & Poirier. Weaver & Poje should have 2 easy wins and are my early favorites for the World title.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by flutzy13 View Post
    -I think some people are discounting Polina. I'll be surprised if she's not on the podium at her 2 events
    I can't estimate who of US ladies has better chance at GP.
    Ashley - she was good at GP for years.
    Gracie - she looks really stronger than Ashley, but did not get Final at 2012 and 2013.
    Polina - so young, so talented.

I believe, all three have about the same chance.

Tripping on the Podium
    Would love it if somehow they all made it to the final ;D

Page 18 of 32 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ... LastLast