Page 22 of 36 FirstFirst ... 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 ... LastLast

Thread: 2014-15 Grand Prix assignments

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by katmari View Post
    Jason did a series of blog entries for ice network last year and in this one from 8/29/13 he explained his summer training for Riverdance:

We all know how this approach worked out for him last year.

I'm not sure this approach is the best one. IMO He would be better served in competing the program he intends to use after the summer as many times as possible at these summer comps and the current approach doesn't provide for that. In his FS at the Olympics he 3a + 3t<; 3a< ; singled a planned 2a; and got 0 points for the 3l he did. Jason is behind the curve jump wise. He and Hanyu are both 19 and Hanyu has being doing quads for quite awhile. I don't believe Jason has ever competed with a quad jump and at this point his 3a is hardly that steadfast. Maybe he will prove to be a late bloomer jump wise. I hope so, because he has other very extraordinary qualities.

Custom Title
    Jason is a not a natural jumper like Hanyu or even someone like Josh Farris. He will probably always struggle with the 3A like Chan did. He stalks it a bit like Adam Rippon who has never mastered the jump either but that doesn't mean Jason won't get the quad. Lambiel didn't have a good 3A either but he could do quads same with Chan.

Tripping on the Podium
    You can't compare Jason's technical's to Hanyu's because Hanyu has been doing quads since he was 14/15, and 3A's are like second nature to him. Some people are late bloomer's, much like Machida. He's still very young and has lots of time to work on the quad. I don't see him as a gold contender, but I definitely see him as a podium threat in the coming years. Plus, he's such a joy to watch and you don't need to win medals to win over people's hearts, which I think is most important As for his 3A, we can only wait and see. 3A's are the achilles heel to many of great skaters so even if he doesn't master it, its not a catastrophe.

Custom Title
    There is also diffrent approach in jumps stuff between Jason and Yuzuru. For me personally he should be trying this quad in program even if it is not 100 % secure. Why ? Because he needs to get more experience under pressure with it. But it is just my feelings, I am not his coach ho knows better how to deal with him. In comparison Yuzuru is jumping this 3A's and quads like nothing in exhibitions, shows. He is just taking fun with them and this jumps are coming to him more neutral, no fear attempting them.
    I don't think 3A will be ever 100% secure for him, it just always look barely done. I think the same case will be here as with Stephane and Patrick But as mentioned upper it doesn't mean he will not have quad.

This goes back to strategy, ultimately.

Jason is good at selling programs. He has tons of charisma and projects well the choreography Rohene gives him. His m.o. even as far as a novice skater is to skate programs with detail and attention to the program and, generally, skate 'em clean.

Jason knows he's behind the other skaters technically. Instead of making a big deal about it, he (and his team) choose to focus on the stuff he can shine in.

Anyway, we have lots of threads to talk about this:

http://www.goldenskate.com/forum/sho...avorite-skater
    http://www.goldenskate.com/forum/sho...790#post955790
    Last edited by Mrs. P; 07-03-2014 at 02:25 PM.

Custom Title
    something that's been bothering about the GP assignments is that it currently confirms assignments for

top 12 at Worlds, top 24 season best and top 24 world ranking

would it be too hard for them to include top 24 season ranking? I know there'd be a lot of overlap but it helps rising juniors or seniors who had a good season like Samantha Cesario...

Custom Title
    So this was a thread for 2014-2015 GP assigments?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Icey View Post
    I'm not sure this approach is the best one. IMO He would be better served in competing the program he intends to use after the summer as many times as possible at these summer comps and the current approach doesn't provide for that. In his FS at the Olympics he 3a + 3t<; 3a< ; singled a planned 2a; and got 0 points for the 3l he did. Jason is behind the curve jump wise. He and Hanyu are both 19 and Hanyu has being doing quads for quite awhile. I don't believe Jason has ever competed with a quad jump and at this point his 3a is hardly that steadfast. Maybe he will prove to be a late bloomer jump wise. I hope so, because he has other very extraordinary qualities.
    Patrick chan didn't start to put a quad toe in his program until the 2010-2011 season, but the quad toe has become one of his most reliable jumps, far more then the 3axel or even the triple lutz or the double axel

Custom Title
    ^I was just about to mention that. Patrick didn't start quads until he was 19-20, but his quad toe is quite reliable (and his 4T-3T is extremely beautiful when landed). On the other hand, the 3A is an eternal plague for him, and I fear that could be the case for Jason as well. In fact, Patrick's 3A seemed to get worse and worse after he got the quad, and he even seems to struggle with the 2A sometimes. (However, Lambiel's 3A was the worst of the lot--at least Patrick usually did a flawed 3A instead of hand downs/step outs on a 2A. And Lambiel won two World titles and Olympic silver).

If Jason's focus is to be a great entertainer and rely on high PCS, I have mixed feelings on him trying a quad that's not steady for him. Since he relies on his performances rather than his technical skill, he should probably avoid huge visible errors because those really do cut into performances. However, seems like PCS aren't tied much to technical merit these days, so maybe he'll do fine even if he falls on a quad... I do think he should practice getting the quad out there under high-pressure scenarios, but only if he's actually hitting them in practice. Please no choreographed falls...

Rinkside
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. P View Post
    1.) I think the main difference is that the club seats give you access to a separate food/drink area and entrance. As far as view to the ice, I don't think it's that different.
    2.) The tickets go on sale for single sales on Aug. 1. There should be all-event passes still available. I'd wait until Aug. 1 and then see if you can find two seats next to each other. You may want to call Sears Center directly to make this arrangement.
    3.) It probably won't be super crowded.

I'll let the locals answer the parking question.
    There is ample parking but it isn't free. I believeI read that it is $15 day with in and out privileges

Custom Title
    I was wondering if anyone has thoughts about what will happen with Hotarek and Berton's slots now that they are no longer competing?

They were slated for Skate America and Rostelecom Cup.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by w4300 View Post
    There is ample parking but it isn't free. I believeI read that it is $15 day with in and out privileges
    If there's a warehouse store within a reasonable distance, park there and walk to the arena

Another option, it seems, is to stay near the Rosemont station (nice if you want to actually go into Chicago) and take the bus to the arena: http://www.pacebus.com/sub/schedules...sp?RouteNo=610

Rinkside
    Okay, thank you all!!

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by icellist View Post
    something that's been bothering about the GP assignments is that it currently confirms assignments for

top 12 at Worlds, top 24 season best and top 24 world ranking

would it be too hard for them to include top 24 season ranking? I know there'd be a lot of overlap but it helps rising juniors or seniors who had a good season like Samantha Cesario...
    The only Ladies of Top24 Season Ranking, who are not at Top24 of WR and SB, are Samantha Cesario and Nikol Gosviani.
    They both have one GP Event. And remember - two GP Events are guaranteed only for Worlds Top12.

I see no difference.

Page 22 of 36 FirstFirst ... 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 ... LastLast