2014-15 Grand Prix assignments | Page 29 | Golden Skate

2014-15 Grand Prix assignments

Bea

On the Ice
Alexander Majorov has withdrawn from Cup of Russia. It seems that despite what he hoped for he couldn't get ready for this competition either. :(
Romain Ponsart and Anais Ventard have withdrawn from TEB.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I wonder whether any of them will be replaced?

I think the hosting federation should be required to have 2 substitutes listed for each event prior to the start of the GP season.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
YMMV, but I really don't enjoy watching Polina Edmunds very much at all. So for me, at least, the goddess designation is on hold for her for now. I hope she will look a little less Bambi-on-Ice now that she is a year older. She competes very well though.

Agreed... I don't give her goddess status by any means. She has a delicate, princess quality (not pageant princess, just like a "maiden" quality). A goddess commands the ice and projects, but Polina is somebody who draws me in and has a nice ethereal quality to her. Even her jumps feel very "secure" and not exactly powerful statements. She is quite unique among the US skaters though and since Worlds I've been saying she's better than Gold... But lets see if she can prove it on the GP.

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
Mikhail Kolyada was replaced by Moris Kvitelashvili for the Rostelecom Cup. And Douglas Razzano replaces Romain Ponsart at TEB.

ETA: also, Sotnikova is out of Rostelecom (still scheduled for NHK), replaced by Maria Stavitskaya

LuisRollerArg

On the Ice
Adelina Sotnikova is out from CoR, her team said she has an ankle injury since a month and she still can't recover completely

adelia

Record Breaker
Mikhail Kolyada was replaced by Moris Kvitelashvili for the Rostelecom Cup. And Douglas Razzano replaces Romain Ponsart at TEB.

ETA: also, Sotnikova is out of Rostelecom (still scheduled for NHK), replaced by Maria Stavitskaya
Wow, I'm really happy for Maria, this is a big deal for her.

Edit: Well, this means that there will only be 4 Russian ladies at the GPF, not 5.

tulosai

Record Breaker
Wouldn't be surprised if the Russian fed decides based on Russian Nationals and Euros.

Yes but honestly, I think this does not help her chances, since all these other girls are doing well and making favorable impressions/splashes now, and that won't be wholly 'forgotten' especially if they kick butt at Nationals and euros too.

Meoima

Match Penalty
If Anna Pogo gets the gold at Cup of Russia as well. Then Adelina might be a bit in danger.

tulosai

Record Breaker
If Anna Pogo gets the gold at Cup of Russia as well. Then Adelina might be a bit in danger.

I think she's already in danger.

IMO unless she bombs the next few comps totally Yulia is a lock for AT LEAST a Euros spot, and over 90% chance of her getting a Worlds spot too.

Elena is a firecracker. She won her first competition and barring meltdown is gonna keep medaling at a minimum.

Liza's regained her old form. She has only lost to one person (a Russian) this year, and has not finished lower than 2nd. Barring crazy catastrophy she won't finish lower than 2nd here either, also to a Russian.

Anna, as you said, is also a threat. She did go to Worlds last year and placed top 4. She did go to the GPF last year and will go again this year. She is a presence internationally.

Where does Adelina fit in? Well, surely somewhere. She is the reigning OGM and the Rus Fed's sweetheart from way back. But she is Russian, and because of this her spot will never be 100% secure. She has to earn it. EVEN now.

NaVi

Medalist

Pogo will have zero problems getting gold at the Cup of Russia.

An cynical take(and one that should be taken with a grain of salt tbh) on this is that just like Yulia probably didn't want to go up against Radionova so soon at the Japan Open that Adelina doesn't want to go up against Pogo or against the other Russian girls at the Grand Prix. If she got 2nd at Moscow and 2nd a Japan and Liza had a higher total score than her then she may be the one out of the Grand Prix(and likely losing the grand prix even if she makes it). Doing just one Grand Prix event lowers the stakes a bit and preps her for nationals. Everyone at NHK will be less competitive for Gold than Pogo but there will be those hungry to quality(Gracie Gold and a couple of the Japanese girls) and a few looking to makeup for the poor performances(Polina Edmunds and Alena Leonova).

cjmorton29

Rinkside
Not to conspiratorial, but I doubt that Sotnikova's "injury" is the sole or even main reason for her withdrawal. Frankly, I was surprised that she opted to enter the GP. Definitely not a good start for her. Despite her maybe being the "darling of Rus. Fed. " as someone said earlier, Russia has enough talent to move on super quick! I don't think they'll be crying too much over her, it probably helps them make the Worlds decisions easier.