2014-15 Grand Prix assignments | Page 5 | Golden Skate

2014-15 Grand Prix assignments

Thrilled with the assigments for Weaver & Poje. They practically get the gold just for showing up, even if they had a huge fall it couldnt prevent them losing either event given those lineups.

:yes: This! These two really couldn't ask for anything better.

EDIT: I really really hope that Hawayek/Baker do well this season as well!! (I had to add this in bc I remembered that they're going to Osaka too!) :)

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
Volosozhar & Trankov also get pretty good assignments considering they arent even a seeded team. Skate America pairs is a pretty deep and competitive field, but there still isnt a single pair who could really challenge them (that would be only Stolbova & Klimov and maybe on a super off day Duhamel & Radford or Sui & Han).

erasona

Rinkside
Question: Are the people listed in their respective assignments the only ones who will be preforming that day? How long is one event then? An hour to an hour and a half?

b-man

Final Flight
The US gets 17 ladies spots, thanks in part to the increase to 12 entrants. But the supposedly dominant for 2014-15 Russian ladies only have 15 spots!

b-man

Final Flight
Also, the Japanese ladies get but nine slots, only 6 in the five events besides NHK. The loss of Asada and Suzuki is killing them.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The US gets 17 ladies spots, thanks in part to the increase to 12 entrants. But the supposedly dominant for 2014-15 Russian ladies only have 15 spots!

That's because all of the ones who shone in the JGP last year are still too young for the GP.

b-man

Final Flight
GPF Picks: Lipnitskaia (wins both events), Pogorilaya (win SC, gets at least second in RC), Sotnikova, Radionova, Gold. I say the last spot will be a battle between Wagner, Edmunds, Murakami and Miyahara.
Great job Mrs. P. Saves me from my own number crunching. I would give Wagner the nod for the final spot over Edmunds and Miyahara, and Murakami is too inconsistent and has UR problems. Though it will be sad to see no Japanese girl in the GPF, don't know when the last time that happened.

Last edited:

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
Hmm, I have a feeling Gracie won't win Skate America after all. Radionova and an on-form Liza can both seriously challenge her. Seems like a great field in Skate America for all the disciplines. Machida + Ten + Nam + Adian + Jeremy + Jason in the men's field--it'll be interesting to see how the veterans, current top skaters, and fresh-out-of-juniors kids compare to each other. Peng/Zhang, Kavaguti/Smirnov, and V/T in pairs, which will be super fun (V/T will win barring major disaster, but great pairs all of them).

However, CoR has the best ice dance field. I'm so looking forward to the drama. :popcorn:

The choice of Voronov, Kolyada, and unannounced slot in CoR (probably won't go to Plush--he confirmed he's not competing next season), with no Kovtun in sight, is the most baffling one to me. Apology to Voronov for missing both Olympics and Worlds? Kovtun no longer their best hope? Or, conversely, they're so confident in Kovtun now that they're certain he'll make GPF without CoR? Glad to see Majorov there. The Sochi crowd seemed to totally adore him, like he's one of their own! I hope he skates well, good ol' Russian split and all.

Doesn't seem like the most exciting competition here in Skate Canada. :disapp: Glad to see Ashley there though. I hope she wins.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
The choice of Voronov, Kolyada, and unannounced slot in CoR (probably won't go to Plush--he confirmed he's not competing next season), with no Kovtun in sight, is the most baffling one to me. Apology to Voronov for missing both Olympics and Worlds? Kovtun no longer their best hope? Or, conversely, they're so confident in Kovtun now that they're certain he'll make GPF without CoR?

TBD is surely for Gachinski if he can show them in pre-season monitoring that he's on his way back. All I can say is, if Gachinski DOES make it back, Russian Nationals is going to be...interesting!

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
TBD is surely for Gachinski if he can show them in pre-season monitoring that he's on his way back. All I can say is, if Gachinski DOES make it back, Russian Nationals is going to be...interesting!
Oops, didn't notice that Artur had only one assignment (and I left him out of my "people to watch in Skate America" list, silly me). Yeah, this makes sense. More sense than Plush coming back next season, anyway.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
I agree. Nagasu is like guilt assignments. Please Mirai, let it go this year and prove you really still belong. No Akiko, Mao, Caro...losing interest. Beauty departs.

Sasha'sSpins

Medalist
Country
United-States
I am soo happy Mirai got Skate America!

I think Mirai only competed at Skate America once. She's got 2 GPs - it's up to her to do what she can with it! Good assignments for all of the Americans too. It will be interesting to see if Sotnikova shows up for her GPs.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Oops, didn't notice that Artur had only one assignment (and I left him out of my "people to watch in Skate America" list, silly me). Yeah, this makes sense. More sense than Plush coming back next season, anyway.

I'm relieved he got one at all! And the Skate America field is a nice one for him, not too difficult if he should hit form. Oh gosh, I've got my fingers crossed so tight for him. I would give anything to see him back where he belongs, standing on podiums, skating clean and well...

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
I'm relieved he got one at all! And the Skate America field is a nice one for him, not too difficult if he should hit form. Oh gosh, I've got my fingers crossed so tight for him. I would give anything to see him back where he belongs, standing on podiums, skating clean and well...
Why would he get no assignments? Kovtun, Voronov, and Menshov have two assignments. Who else would they send in Artur's stead? It's not like they have a huge pipeline in men the way they do in ladies. ;) And c'mon, what's the point of getting TAT as a coach if she can't even politik you into one spot? :popcorn:

I'm not sure if the Skate America field will be easy though. True, Nam and Pitkeev are likely too young and inexperienced, and we can probably count on Abbott to bomb (*sigh*). But Machida and Ten likely will place 1-2. Artur can get bronze if he fends off Jason--I dunno what kind of shape Jason will show up in next season, jumps-wise--will he attempt the quad, or will try to do a clean all-triple performance? Anyway, it'll be really exciting.

FSGMT

Record Breaker
Don't know if anyone has already noticed it, but it looks like Yulia wants revenge from her first GP season, so she chose those two events that she didn't win in 2012 ;)