2014-15 Grand Prix assignments | Page 9 | Golden Skate

2014-15 Grand Prix assignments

centerpt1

On the Ice
Oh geez, so you're holding it against Jason and his team that they opted to not take their chances on a jump he hasn't mastered yet and rather chose to focus on clean, well-choreographed programs? That's called strategy. And it wasn't foolproof because had the others hit their quads and did clean programs he would have been out of he team. But that's not what happened.

It's not Jason's or Kori's fault that others decided to take the high-risk strategy and it didn't work out.

No- I'm holding it against him that he was inappropriately rewarded for not doing what the other US men did.

To be competitive at Worlds a Man needs a quad in the short and two in the long.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
No- I'm holding it against him that he was inappropriately rewarded for not doing what the other US men did.

To be competitive at Worlds a Man needs a quad in the short and two in the long.

Go complain to USFSA if it bothers you so much. Clearly you have a set opinion, might as well express it to people that have some power rather than try to win an argument with a nobody fan like me.

Last edited:

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker

The name of the COP game is POINTS.

The person who racks up the most points WINS.

It doesn't matter in the long run HOW you rack up those points.

Risk/reward. Quality/quantity. Different strategies. Same goal: rack up those points.

Jason played that particular game better than most of his US male competitors and was duly rewarded for it.

Similarly,

one person's Smarmy is another person's Charming. One person's justified blowup is another person's petulant temper tantrum.

Can we have a chorus of "That's what makes the world go 'round"?

In harmony, please. :)

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
Woah, Team USA Men war going on here? :laugh:

Jeremy will retire when he wants to retire. I'm hardly his fan--prefer both Max and Jason over him--but it's his choice to continue. I just hope his body holds up. I don't think a World medal is in his future, but he's free to give it a try. Also, while some comments he made during Sochi haven't been... ideal... they seem kinda tame and even understandable compared to, say, Kovtun's tweets...

Jason is a wonderful performer and I completely understand why Riverdance drew such an audience response. I'm on the side that believes quads have a place in figure skating, and I wouldn't place a quadless Jason on the medal stand over clean competitors with quads (but certainly over any of the quadless US men of times past...). But I don't hold it against Jason to not go for a quad if he's not comfortable with it yet. I'd rather not see more "rotate and fall to collect points." Give him some time to work on his jumps.

And finally, while Max might not fit the standard definition of artistry, that's certainly no reason to write him off compared to Jeremy and Jason. He is very exciting to watch, and his speed across the ice is incredible. I hope he finds good programs next season.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Woah, Team USA Men war going on here? :laugh:

Jeremy will retire when he wants to retire. I'm hardly his fan--prefer both Max and Jason over him--but it's his choice to continue. I just hope his body holds up. I don't think a World medal is in his future, but he's free to give it a try. Also, while some comments he made during Sochi haven't been... ideal... they seem kinda tame and even understandable compared to, say, Kovtun's tweets...

Jason is a wonderful performer and I completely understand why Riverdance drew such an audience response. I'm on the side that believes quads have a place in figure skating, and I wouldn't place a quadless Jason on the medal stand over clean competitors with quads (but certainly over any of the quadless US men of times past...). But I don't hold it against Jason to not go for a quad if he's not comfortable with it yet. I'd rather not see more "rotate and fall to collect points." Give him some time to work on his jumps.

And finally, while Max might not fit the standard definition of artistry, that's certainly no reason to write him off compared to Jeremy and Jason. He is very exciting to watch, and his speed across the ice is incredible. I hope he finds good programs next season.

Well posted, Sandpiper!!!! :clap:

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
The name of the COP game is POINTS.

The person who racks up the most points WINS.

It doesn't matter in the long run HOW you rack up those points.

Risk/reward. Quality/quantity. Different strategies. Same goal: rack up those points.

Jason played that particular game better than most of his US male competitors and was duly rewarded for it.

Similarly,

one person's Smarmy is another person's Charming. One person's justified blowup is another person's petulant temper tantrum.

Can we have a chorus of "That's what makes the world go 'round"?

In harmony, please. :)

:thumbsup: :agree:

I second that thanks from MM, WA. :)

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
Thanks MM and MrsP. It's one of the reasons why I really like COP. Yes, yes, yes, it's a system with a good many flaws (heck, I love the Harry Potter books and they have more plot holes than a chunk of Swiss cheese). But one of the things that DOES make it exciting is that you can play it many different ways and win. Gosh, you can even win it by blowing everyone away in the short or by blowing the short and crushing everyone in the long.

That's what makes the world go 'round.
Tra la la la la la la.

Personally, I'd rather talk about the ice dancing matchups, which promise MUCH MUCH more interesting drama. I'm placing an early bet on Hawayek and Baker really challenging Chock and Bates in two years time (and I'm not a gambling man). And the Russians are going to provide endless hours of fascinating debates. And who is going to come out on top of the Canadian battle for #2 team? And...And...And...

Actually there's a line from Torch Song Trilogy I LOVE: I'm too busy wondering about the WHAT NOWS to worry about the WHAT IFS.

Onward, ever onward...

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Thanks MM and MrsP. It's one of the reasons why I really like COP. Yes, yes, yes, it's a system with a good many flaws (heck, I love the Harry Potter books and they have more plot holes than a chunk of Swiss cheese). But one of the things that DOES make it exciting is that you can play it many different ways and win. Gosh, you can even win it by blowing everyone away in the short or by blowing the short and crushing everyone in the long.

That's what makes the world go 'round.
Tra la la la la la la.

Personally, I'd rather talk about the ice dancing matchups, which promise MUCH MUCH more interesting drama. I'm placing an early bet on Hawayek and Baker really challenging Chock and Bates in two years time (and I'm not a gambling man). And the Russians are going to provide endless hours of fascinating debates. And who is going to come out on top of the Canadian battle for #2 team? And...And...And...

Actually there's a line from Torch Song Trilogy I LOVE: I'm too busy wondering about the WHAT NOWS to worry about the WHAT IFS.

Onward, ever onward...

Don't forget the I/Z vs. S/K at COR! Who will prevail in the bitter divorce of our Black Swan couple? :)

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
Don't forget the I/Z vs. S/K at COR! Who will prevail in the bitter divorce of our Black Swan couple? :)

I know. We have to, in a way, thank them for breaking up, not only for the utter Better Than Reality TV of it all, but because it really makes the Ice Dancing playing field totally OPEN in a way it hasn't been in at least SIX years. AND Hurtado/Diaz in TWO events. Admittedly, I'm dreading an onslaught of Carmen-esque Paso Dobles, but you can't have everything...

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I know. We have to, in a way, thank them for breaking up, not only for the utter Better Than Reality TV of it all, but because it really makes the Ice Dancing playing field totally OPEN in a way it hasn't been in at least SIX years. AND Hurtado/Diaz in TWO events. Admittedly, I'm dreading an onslaught of Carmen-esque Paso Dobles, but you can't have everything...

So true! I'm thrilled for Hurtado/Diaz..loved their FD last year!

Last edited:

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

Then the rematch at Nationals!!! Is it possible for them to meet at euros too?

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
It's a shame we can't have SD Face Offs. That way we could have both I/Z and S/K in the rink at the same time. It would really make that Paso Doble theme come alive, don't you think?

I'm also totally curious to see what Papadakis and Cizeron come up with this year. I hope it's as far away from the Detroit Style as they can get. Didier must be pooping his pants, because they are now France's number 1 team. Karma. Sweet sweet karma.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Then the rematch at Nationals!!! Is it possible for them to meet at euros too?

Yes! Russia has three spots for Euros. B/S will have one easily. I don't think Stepnova/Bukin will overtake them honestly. Maybe Monko / Khaliavin could spoil, but I'm doubtful about that possibility too.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
It's a shame we can't have SD Face Offs. That way we could have both I/Z and S/K in the rink at the same time. It would really make that Paso Doble theme come alive, don't you think?

I'm also totally curious to see what Papadakis and Cizeron come up with this year. I hope it's as far away from the Detroit Style as they can get. Didier must be pooping his pants, because they are now France's number 1 team. Karma. Sweet sweet karma.

I hope it will enable me to expand my musical horizons like Woodkid did! LOVED their FD!!

walnut cat

Spectator
So true! I'm thrilled for Hurtado/Diaz..loved their FD last year!

Same here! :) I would love for them to make it to Barcelona especially since there don't seem to be a lot of events in Spain. it's probably a long shot, but I'll be rooting for them anyways!

breathesgelatin

Final Flight

YES!! I adore them. Hope they make an upward move this year.

Alain

Match Penalty
Why new pairs and ice dancers got GP? They have no rating or records. Anybody knows what the rules say?