Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Colored boots - yes or no?

On the Ice

Colored boots - yes or no?

Well, on the advice of both my teachers I'm going to bite the VERY large bullet & get new custom skate boots, here in NYC area at Klingbeils, which everyone here swears by (they treat you like family, which, now that I've been there, can attest is indeed true, and they adjust & fix your boots forever).

So, not being on any testing track, but more interested in learning lots more basic MITF & using them to skate to music (i.e., not very interested in learning jumps) I need to decide on the color of the boots.

My favorite color, since I was a little girl, is purple. It just so happens that they have 1/2 sheet of lavender leather left that would not cost extra for my boots. (It would so nicely match my lavender earmuffs - I skate outdoors most winter days).

If I ever did do testing I could cover them with covers or tights. The only drawbacks that I could see are that I won't be able to shoe polish them; and, the "weird" factor - would I later come to regret this?

What do you think? I have til Monday to decide!

Skating Soprano
    Klingbeil wont mix special polish?! Wow! I thought everyone did that. For me that would be a huge problem, because I polish like crazy.

My reason for going with white was that I dont like (what am I saying? I should use the word HATE) the look of boot covers, and I want something that will go with all my skating outfits. (yes, even in practice, I like everything to look perfect...see above about polishing.)

OTOH, Pasha G won the olympics in lilac boots that went uncovered...so...it shouldnt be a problem for testing if you wore purple or black or white...

Rooting for the Kerrs!
    Why would the purple boots have a "weird" factor? I think if you want them, you should go ahead! You should be able to get polish in the right colour. (Why not ask the people making the boots for you about it?) I'm sure if you were to test/compete you could cover them (that's if you have to, which I don't know). And if it's no extra cost, I say go for it!

Custom Title
    I love Purple boots and I want a pair just like the ones Pasha had. However I think that for testing, you might want to go with the white boots. From what people say, the judges are sticklers and you might not want to give them a reason to mark you a bit lower (or not give you the benefit of the doubt). Also when Pasha competed, she pretty much could have skated naked with her lilac/ hyacinth boots and won teh OGM. Harlick will definitely make boots in any color you wish, though they feel like rocks.

On the Ice
    Thanks for all the feedback! I'm leaning towards going for the purple - though I hope no one thinks I'm channeling Pasha Grishuk (I'd have to lose 40 lbs for that!!!)

I figure I'll buy those over-the boots tights if I ever test.

I'll ask about the special polish. Maybe I didn't ask the right questions at Klingbeil.

Hell's Librarian
    The restaurant at the end of the universe
    I'd go with the purple. They sound great. And I don't think you'll have any problems with testing with boot covers - just be sure to PRACTICE with the boot covers in advance of the test!

On the Ice
    Your making me jealous. I want purple boots now!!

Go for it!

Does anyone have a picture of Pasha Grishuk wearing her lilac boots? I haven't seen any!

Rooting for the Kerrs!
    Originally posted by CartDi
    Go for it!

Does anyone have a picture of Pasha Grishuk wearing her lilac boots? I haven't seen any!
    Here's a couple:

Pasha 1

Pasha 2

Pasha 3

Custom Title
    I was wondering if Pasha had a second pair of boots that were more bluish to match her LP costume b/c the two pairs look different.

Did Pasha give any reason as to why she used different colored boots other than just liking purple and being a diva?

Custom Title
    It's your money and if you want purple boots then you should go ahead and get them. I have a friend that has black suede boots and they're really neat looking. He has to put up with some "Blue Suede Boots" jokes, but he can handle it.

I'm old enough to think that ladies wear white boots, but that's just my personal preference. Of course the wild woman in me would very much like to have silver boots.

For testing purposes you could always SK8Tape them with white tape. You can't tell it's tape on the ice and if you take it off after you test, you won't have any sticky residue either.

Go for the purple! You only live once.

On the Ice
    Thanks to all who posted! Your comments did help me decide.

Yes, I ordered the lavender boots. When I get them I'll tell you all how they came out. I decided that since I skate for fun I should have fun with my skates too. I've never yet tested, although maybe it's coming in the future. I'll get white boot covers or tights for that - tape might be difficult to cover the lacing part. And we have really good shoe repair stores here in NY; I'll get them to clean & polish the boots professionally once a year - before my teacher's skating show!

Now, I've got to find a store with RIT dye - gotta dye 4 or 5 batches of white laces...

nthuz
    I am good friends with many judges, mostly high level. I have never thought that the color of someones boots would have anything to do with judging one's test, but I asked anyway.

And the answer is: Of course colored boots wouldn't detract from a tester's scores. DIRTY colored boots might warrant a remark, but the color actually makes it easier to see the feet--like mens black boots.

So go ahead and test in your pretty purple boots. Just make sure they're clean!

Bless you, Fairy Godmother, I'm Having a BALL! Cinderella on Ice's Avatar
    Jealous jealous jealous jealous jealous jealous jealous jealous.

I would KILL for purple boots! Enjoy!

On the Ice
    OK, from the enthusiasm I'm witnessing here I can see that I have to post a picture when I get these purple boots! I promise I will. But it's going to take at least a month more (blades on special order).

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast