Colored boots - yes or no? | Golden Skate

Colored boots - yes or no?

artekgwent

Rinkside
Well, on the advice of both my teachers I'm going to bite the VERY large bullet & get new custom skate boots, here in NYC area at Klingbeils, which everyone here swears by (they treat you like family, which, now that I've been there, can attest is indeed true, and they adjust & fix your boots forever).

So, not being on any testing track, but more interested in learning lots more basic MITF & using them to skate to music (i.e., not very interested in learning jumps) I need to decide on the color of the boots.

My favorite color, since I was a little girl, is purple. It just so happens that they have 1/2 sheet of lavender leather left that would not cost extra for my boots. (It would so nicely match my lavender earmuffs - I skate outdoors most winter days).

If I ever did do testing I could cover them with covers or tights. The only drawbacks that I could see are that I won't be able to shoe polish them; and, the "weird" factor - would I later come to regret this?

What do you think? I have til Monday to decide!

skatepixie

On the Ice
Klingbeil wont mix special polish?! Wow! I thought everyone did that. For me that would be a huge problem, because I polish like crazy.

My reason for going with white was that I dont like (what am I saying? I should use the word HATE) the look of boot covers, and I want something that will go with all my skating outfits. (yes, even in practice, I like everything to look perfect...see above about polishing.)

OTOH, Pasha G won the olympics in lilac boots that went uncovered...so...it shouldnt be a problem for testing if you wore purple or black or white...

icenut84

Final Flight
Why would the purple boots have a "weird" factor? I think if you want them, you should go ahead! You should be able to get polish in the right colour. (Why not ask the people making the boots for you about it?) I'm sure if you were to test/compete you could cover them (that's if you have to, which I don't know). And if it's no extra cost, I say go for it! :)

soogar

Record Breaker
I love Purple boots and I want a pair just like the ones Pasha had. However I think that for testing, you might want to go with the white boots. From what people say, the judges are sticklers and you might not want to give them a reason to mark you a bit lower (or not give you the benefit of the doubt). Also when Pasha competed, she pretty much could have skated naked with her lilac/ hyacinth boots and won teh OGM. Harlick will definitely make boots in any color you wish, though they feel like rocks.

artekgwent

Rinkside
Thanks for all the feedback! I'm leaning towards going for the purple - though I hope no one thinks I'm channeling Pasha Grishuk (I'd have to lose 40 lbs for that!!!)

I figure I'll buy those over-the boots tights if I ever test.

I'll ask about the special polish. Maybe I didn't ask the right questions at Klingbeil.

RoaringMice

On the Ice
I'd go with the purple. They sound great. And I don't think you'll have any problems with testing with boot covers - just be sure to PRACTICE with the boot covers in advance of the test!

CartDi

Rinkside
Go for it! :)

Does anyone have a picture of Pasha Grishuk wearing her lilac boots? I haven't seen any!:p

soogar

Record Breaker
I was wondering if Pasha had a second pair of boots that were more bluish to match her LP costume b/c the two pairs look different.

Did Pasha give any reason as to why she used different colored boots other than just liking purple and being a diva?

megsk8z

On the Ice
It's your money and if you want purple boots then you should go ahead and get them. I have a friend that has black suede boots and they're really neat looking. He has to put up with some "Blue Suede Boots" jokes, but he can handle it.

I'm old enough to think that ladies wear white boots, but that's just my personal preference. Of course the wild woman in me would very much like to have silver boots.

For testing purposes you could always SK8Tape them with white tape. You can't tell it's tape on the ice and if you take it off after you test, you won't have any sticky residue either.

Go for the purple! You only live once.

artekgwent

Rinkside
Thanks to all who posted! Your comments did help me decide.

Yes, I ordered the lavender boots. When I get them I'll tell you all how they came out. I decided that since I skate for fun I should have fun with my skates too. I've never yet tested, although maybe it's coming in the future. I'll get white boot covers or tights for that - tape might be difficult to cover the lacing part. And we have really good shoe repair stores here in NY; I'll get them to clean & polish the boots professionally once a year - before my teacher's skating show!

Now, I've got to find a store with RIT dye - gotta dye 4 or 5 batches of white laces...

N

nthuz

I am good friends with many judges, mostly high level. I have never thought that the color of someones boots would have anything to do with judging one's test, but I asked anyway.

And the answer is: Of course colored boots wouldn't detract from a tester's scores. DIRTY colored boots might warrant a remark, but the color actually makes it easier to see the feet--like mens black boots.

So go ahead and test in your pretty purple boots. Just make sure they're clean!

Cinderella on Ice

Bless you, Fairy Godmother, I'm Having a BALL!
On the Ice
Jealous jealous jealous jealous jealous jealous jealous jealous.

I would KILL for purple boots! Enjoy!

artekgwent

Rinkside
OK, from the enthusiasm I'm witnessing here I can see that I have to post a picture when I get these purple boots! I promise I will. But it's going to take at least a month more (blades on special order).

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
I have heard announcers refer to Pasha's boots as "blueberry colored"... must be blueberries in cream,LOL.

skatepixie

On the Ice
soogar said:
Also when Pasha competed, she pretty much could have skated naked with her lilac/ hyacinth boots and won teh OGM.

How so? Im just wondering cause I have never really followed dance much. I just kinda scream "Go USA!" and thats about it...

Originally posted by soogar Harlick will definitely make boots in any color you wish, though they feel like rocks. [/B]

yes...they will. They made mine white. As for feeling like rocks...mine broke in like a dream. Ive only had them for about a week and a half. and theyve only been mounted sence last monday, so Ive only skated on them like 6 times. Im already doing everything I did before, although I havent tried the shoot the duck, but then again...I hate that move and never do it anyways.

Sk8harvest

Rinkside
Artekgwent - My boots are Klingbeils. I was on a business trip to NYC and went to their store on my day off, on a lark. They had a cancellation that day and so I was lucky enough to get measured for my boots right then and there. Service was wonderful and I absolutely adore the boots. They broke in with very minimal adjustment. The skate shop at my rink popped out the ankle area twice on one boot, once on the other and after that I had no pain with them - amazing. I bet you are gonna love your new lavender boots!

artekgwent

Rinkside
Hello everyone,

I have some very, very sad news.

Klingbeils called me today & told me that they tried to make my boots from the purple leather skin that the y had remaining, but ran into problems with the skin.

Aparently there were imperfections. The first pair that was made was able to be made from the skin, but there is not enough left because of the imperfection for another set of boots.

SO, after all this agonizing, and then feeling really really good that I was brave & ordered the purple - I can't have the lavender boots.

They really tried, they told me, but no go. So, white boots.

They have promised to save me a piece of lavender leather to make a keychain from (so I can prove I ALMOST had lavender boots!)

Now I'm really wondering who the lucky skater is who ordered the original pair & got them to get the lavender skin in the first place.

THANK YOU ALL for your notes & replies & enthusiasm for these poor boots!

If you see a tall, slightly tubby 48-yr-old skater with white Klingbeils one of these days ask if she has a lavender leather keychain!

skatepixie

On the Ice
awwwww. :( That really sucks! I know how much you were looking forward to having them. Im sure the white ones will be pretty too, though!