Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: World Renowned Figure Skaters

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Icey View Post
    Are there really any who could qualify as WORLD renown, other than Sonja Henie, whose movie career was a great help with establishing that for her?
    I don't know right now, but n the late 90's early 00's michelle kwan was known pretty much everywhere, thanks in large part to her presence in popular culture phenomenon like the simpson...

edit/ also many youungster like me (born in the 90's) have come to known about the existence of people like peggy flemming or carlo fassi thanks to old comic strips of the peanuts...

Medalist
    Oh I forgot Peggy. My rechoice is Peggy, T/D, Witt

Sometimes bad skating happens to good people... LiamForeman's Avatar
    Ladies: 1) Henie 2) Lynn 3) Kwan
    Men: 1) Button 2) Curry/Cranston 3) Plushenko
    Pairs: 1) Protopopovs 2) G/G 3) Shen/Zhao
    Dance: 1) T/D 2) Klim/Pon 3) Davis/White

Banned
    As a casual fan who just started following somewhat recently here were the names I was familiar with.

Hamil, Hamilton

Kerrigan, Harding

Witt

Vaguely knew about: Cohen, Kwan, Lipinski

Mao and Yuna really weren't on my radar. I knew they won a medal but thats about it. I didn't even really know anything about Plushenko.

Then I became a fan because of Yulia.

When I started watching I had never even heard of Kostner, Gold, Wagner, etc.

Midori, Kwan, Yuna

Ladies
    Midori Ito (technically)
    Michelle Kwan (longevity)
    Yuna Kim/Mao Asada (sorry I won't break the tie).

Men
    Button
    Browning/Boitano/Orser/
    Yagudin/Plushenko

Pairs
    Protopopovs
    Gordeeva /Grinkov
    Savchenko /Szolkowy and Shen/Zhao

Ice Dance
    Torvill/Dean - innovative choreography
    Klimova /Ponomarenko
    Virtue/Moir - Davis/White - North America dominance last four years. Each brought different things to the table. Again won't break this tie.

Sorry I'm bad at this.
    Last edited by Mrs. P; 07-03-2014 at 07:22 PM.

Shoe Diva
    I have a total American perspective on this, so please keep that in mind...

Men
    Button - Obvious Reasons
    Boitano / Orser - Again, Obvious Reasons
    Elvis / Yagudin / Plushenko / Browning

Dance
    T / D
    A/P
    D/W - hometown heroes. Awesome team of course, but hometown trumps all

Pairs
    Shen / Zhao
    G / G
    Canadian / Russian Double Golds - This is a negative as it confirmed every suspicion nonfans & casual fans had about the sport: that it was shady & built on corruption. Which is unfair to the skaters, of course.

Ladies
    Witt - the True Queen of the Ice
    Kwan - just an amazing champion
    Tonya / Nancy - again, showed the underbelly while capturing the attention of the World

Custom Title
    - As far as world renowned in my experience it's as follows :

When my american friends who know nothing about skating make fun of me for watching it they say things like:
    "Are you, Like, In love with Brian Boitano ?" or "Don't you just wanna be like Kattarina Witt and land a Triple Lux?"

- In Israel i heard things like:

"There's one really good one, Korean or something, Right?" (Kim)
    There's that one guy that's really famous, right, he's really really gay" (Weir)

- I remember a reference to Dorothy Hamill in an early episode of "Friends", When Ross has her on his list of desirable women,
    And i think it's Monica that says "You know she only spins like that on ice..."

- Apart from that It's Nancy\Tonya and Michelle\Tara, Who get references here and there, Guest appearances and articles (The Simpsons, Leathel weapon 3, Will and grace, Suddenly Susan and Jerry Mcguire come to mind)

- Possibly Plushenko ?
    Not sure about him...

- I think Lips has a shot at being a future one

From Japanese perspective,
    Janet Lynn and Witt, and hopefully Midori.

Even in Japan, Figure Skating had been a minor sports before Mao,
    and before Yuzuru, there has been less attention on men.
    Even now, there is almost no attention on pair nor dance.

I knew who Dorothy Hamill was even as a very small child...probably because she had a doll and my mom wanted me to get a haircut like hers. (I didn't want it.) Didn't really watch skating growing up, but I was aware of the "Battle of the Brians" and then obviously the Tonya/Nancy situation was inescapable in the media. So much depends on your age and location, though. Peggy Fleming, Dick Button, Scott Hamilton, Katarina Witt, Michelle Kwan, and Sonja Henie are names that anyone with the slightest bit of pop culture knowledge should recognize, I think. Plushenko of course. Though in the US, Johnny Weir is much more familiar to people who don't follow skating than Plushenko is, I'd say.

Landing 3As in my dreams! skatedreamer's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Eladola View Post
    -

- I remember a reference to Dorothy Hamill in an early episode of "Friends", When Ross has her on his list of desirable women,
    And i think it's Monica that says "You know she only spins like that on ice..."

- Apart from that It's Nancy\Tonya and Michelle\Tara, Who get references here and there, Guest appearances and articles (The Simpsons, Leathel weapon 3, Will and grace, Suddenly Susan and Jerry Mcguire come to mind)

- I think Lips has a shot at being a future one
    The line about Dorothy Hamill from Friends made me

Re: TV shows, there's an episode of M*A*S*H where the 4077th is watching a Sonja Henie film. At one point, Col. Potter says something like "I think this is where she does a triple axel." I got all bent out of shape and started yelling (sort of) at the TV: "Henie didn't even do double axels!"

And something tells me you're right about Yulia...

Custom Title
    It's interesting to see so many references to Johnny. For someone who isn't particularly decorated, he's made quite a splash. I'd say he's had a good run. I do wonder how he'll be remembered (or not) in ten years' time, considering he's more public personality than skater at this point. But I certainly can't think of another mid-pack skater who's had that amount of fame.

Shoe Diva
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandpiper View Post
    It's interesting to see so many references to Johnny. For someone who isn't particularly decorated, he's made quite a splash. I'd say he's had a good run. I do wonder how he'll be remembered (or not) in ten years' time, considering he's more public personality than skater at this point. But I certainly can't think of another mid-pack skater who's had that amount of fame.
    This is a good point. Johnny Weir gets mad love all the time and has totally stolen whatever fame a modern era American male figure skater should enjoy... I've seen him on the food network, fashion police, coverage of his divorce on the major morning news shows (network and cable) and of course as a commentator. For the life of me, I can't remember the last time I heard a word about Evan...it's quite remarkable. And good for Johnny.

As for world renown, it's not easy to think of any skater who is famous outside his/her own country. Sonja Henie of course, but in modern times I would have to say Katarina Witt. She was popular throughout Europe and also in the United States (don't know about Asia).

Ice dance gets less attention, but Torvill and Dean had wide recognition.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    As for world renown, it's not easy to think of any skater who is famous outside his/her own country. Sonja Henie of course, but in modern times I would have to say Katarina Witt. She was popular throughout Europe and also in the United States (don't know about Asia).

Ice dance gets less attention, but Torvill and Dean had wide recognition.
    My dad was born and raised in Korea, and when Yuna was winning and making headlines etc, he talked about Witt a lot; he seemed to remember her quite well. I assume she was very well known in general.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast