Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 69

Thread: World Renowned Figure Skaters

  1. #31
    Shoe Diva
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Detroit, MI - So Glad to be Home!
    Posts
    2,837
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    As for world renown, it's not easy to think of any skater who is famous outside his/her own country. Sonja Henie of course, but in modern times I would have to say Katarina Witt. She was popular throughout Europe and also in the United States (don't know about Asia).

    Ice dance gets less attention, but Torvill and Dean had wide recognition.
    I would hazard a guess that Katarina Witt is probably the GOAT of ice skating (greatest of all time)... I know Sonja Henie is recognized and the internet has given Janet Lynn recognition she lacked before but in terms of whose the MOST recognized? I'd be shocked if it wasn't Witt

  2. #32
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    9,495
    I don't know if this is significant, but Michelle Kwan is the only one whose birthday I know. And I think it's today! Happy birthday, Michelle.

  3. #33
    Landing 3As in my dreams! skatedreamer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    869
    Quote Originally Posted by Kwanford Wife View Post
    I would hazard a guess that Katarina Witt is probably the GOAT of ice skating (greatest of all time)... I know Sonja Henie is recognized and the internet has given Janet Lynn recognition she lacked before but in terms of whose the MOST recognized? I'd be shocked if it wasn't Witt
    If we're talking in terms of "household recognition" by people who rarely pay attention to figure skating, I'd tend to agree that it's Katarina. At the height of her career, she was probably the best known/most recognized skater in the world and may still be, to some extent. Just about everyone knew who she was. Although Brian Boitano was certainly very well known at the same time, I'm not sure that even he ever achieved the degree of fame that Katarina did. Except possibly Tonya Harding, whose fame is probably better described as notoriety.

    There have been other skaters who have been far more accomplished but for sheer recognition, IMO Katarina wins.

  4. #34
    Tripping on the Podium
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    62
    Quote Originally Posted by skatedreamer View Post
    If we're talking in terms of "household recognition" by people who rarely pay attention to figure skating, I'd tend to agree that it's Katarina. At the height of her career, she was probably the best known/most recognized skater in the world and may still be, to some extent. Just about everyone knew who she was. Although Brian Boitano was certainly very well known at the same time, I'm not sure that even he ever achieved the degree of fame that Katarina did. Except possibly Tonya Harding, whose fame is probably better described as notoriety.

    There have been other skaters who have been far more accomplished but for sheer recognition, IMO Katarina wins.
    I think it varies for people of different eras. I was born in the early 90s and I never watched a single skating competition until last year, but growing up I knew exactly who Michelle Kwan was. Same for many college students today who aren't into figure skating. If you asked them to name one skater or show them a picture of her, they would know Michelle Kwan. A lot of it has to do with her pop culture presence (TV shows, commercials, etc.) even outside the US.

    Of course, it's my opinion and other people have theirs. I don't think we can ever have a definitive answer to this question.

  5. #35
    still fangirling for Toller... el henry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Christmas City, USA
    Posts
    154
    Quote Originally Posted by gravy View Post
    I think it varies for people of different eras. I was born in the early 90s and I never watched a single skating competition until last year, but growing up I knew exactly who Michelle Kwan was. Same for many college students today who aren't into figure skating. If you asked them to name one skater or show them a picture of her, they would know Michelle Kwan. A lot of it has to do with her pop culture presence (TV shows, commercials, etc.) even outside the US.

    Of course, it's my opinion and other people have theirs. I don't think we can ever have a definitive answer to this question.
    It definitely depends on the era. And it does not need to have anything to do with skating. For my era, the most famous in the US would be Dorothy Hamill. Just last week I was talking with some people my age (and Dorothy's age) about another's wedge haircut, and both exclaimed "Like Dorothy Hamill." And they know nothing about, and do not follow, skating. They would not know Michelle Kwan if you paid them cash money.

    Worldwide, I would tend to agree with Katerina Witt.

  6. #36
    축복, 축도 RABID's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    457
    Quote Originally Posted by LiamForeman View Post
    Ladies: 1) Henie 2) Lynn 3) Kwan
    Perhaps Kwan and Witt had/have world recognition, but if you went outside your home and asked anyone what they think of Henie and Lynn I suspect they wouldn't know who you were talking about, unless they were fans of this dying sport and knowledgeable fans at that.

  7. #37
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    1,549
    Definitely depends on generation. For me, growing up, it was all about Michelle Kwan. On the men's side, vaguely aware of Yagudin vs. Plushenko (and after a while, just Plushenko on his own).

  8. #38
    Custom Title Mathman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Detroit, Michigan
    Posts
    28,180
    A skater who should be world famous but isn't -- Carol Heiss. She was a five-time world champion (like Michelle Kwan) and Olympic gold and silver medalist (like Yuna Kim). First woman to do a double Axel. She could do a variety of spins and jumps in both directions.

    Heiss had the bad luck to come along in between the skating movie era of Sonja Henie and the television era beginning with Peggy Fleming.

    Actually, she did play the lead in a movie -- the not-quite-as-bad-as-it-sounds "Snow White and the Three Stooges.

    http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...ges-Promo3.JPG

  9. #39
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    9,495
    I'd have to agree that Dorothy Hamill would be one of the best known skaters in the U.S., even today. Her bubbly personality, and of course that distinctive haircut, have made her very telegenic, so she's had more opportunities than many other skating champions. (Another asset is her very pleasing voice. She doesn't have that "little girl on helium" squeal that a lot of skaters and gymnasts have.) She was also the only ladies' gold medalist until Kristi in 1992, so for every Olympics between 1976 and 1992, she was invoked as the one to aspire to. I'd say that she, Michelle, and maybe Peggy Fleming would be the big names. Janet Lynn is revered among skating fans but these days probably isn't well remembered by anyone else. Partly this is due to her wish to live a very private life with her family, whereas Peggy has been visible pretty regularly as a TV sports announcer for the past decades. For whatever reason, Kristi didn't make an immediate splash, though thank goodness she's proved to have staying power. She may be better known today than she was right after her win at Albertville.

  10. #40
    Custom Title Mathman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Detroit, Michigan
    Posts
    28,180
    Quote Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
    For whatever reason, Kristi didn't make an immediate splash, though thank goodness she's proved to have staying power. She may be better known today than she was right after her win at Albertville.
    Kristi was the number one star attraction in professional skating in the U.S. during a decade when professional skating was something worth being the number one star of. Then she grabbed the opportunity to take over Dancing with the Stars in the best season up to that time of that show. Recently she has gotten a lot of play for her children's books.

    Plus, she is one of those rare genetic marvels who get ever the more lovely with each passing year.

  11. #41
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    2,001
    Jay Leno thought Michelle was Nancy Kwan (an actress).

  12. #42
    Landing 3As in my dreams! skatedreamer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    869
    Had to laugh re: "little girl on helium!" Hamill really does have a lovely speaking voice; so does Fleming. Hamill has been on TV recently in ads/infomercials for a new exercise machine. The skating fan in me remembers seeing her but can't remember much about the machine!

  13. #43
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    9,495
    Quote Originally Posted by Icey View Post
    Jay Leno thought Michelle was Nancy Kwan (an actress).
    For years during Michelle's early career, I dealt with friends who used to refer to Michelle as "Nancy Kwan." It was probably the combination of Nancy Kerrigan's still being so well-known, along with Nancy Kwan's being just about the only person named Kwan who was at all famous in this country (at the time). It's kind of like the huge number of people who still refer to Mr. Spock on the original Star Trek as "Dr. Spock," because of the mental mashup of author Dr. Benjamin Spock and the medical character on Star Trek, Dr. McCoy.

  14. #44
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    902
    Tough to narrow it down to just three! But for preference, in each discipline ...

    Ladies: Midori Ito (JPN), Michelle Kwan (USA), Yuna Kim (KOR)
    Men: Alexander Yagudin (RUS), Daisuke Takahashi (JPN), Brian Boitano (USA)
    Pairs: Gordeeva & Grinkov (USR / RUS), Shen & Zhao (CHN), Savchenko & Szolkowy (GER)
    Dance: Virtue & Moir (CAN), Davis & White (USA), Torvill & Dean (GBR)

  15. #45
    Rinkside
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    4
    I've chosen skaters who I think became famous also outside figure skating world.

    Dance
    Torvill and Dean

    Pairs
    Gordeeva and Grinkov

    Ladies
    Katarina Witt

    Men
    Evgeni Plushenko

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •