Kaitlin Hawayek & Jean-Luc Baker | Page 18 | Golden Skate

Kaitlin Hawayek & Jean-Luc Baker

slider11

Medalist
I thought it was a good program. It was a rough season. They fell in their opening Challenger event. Had to pull out of Cup of China later due to illness. The balletic style in the SD didn't really work for her. I thought mostly they didn't have any momentum that season. There was a lot of unrealistic pressure because they had exceeded expectations the year before. The concept of the FD had great potential. Orford & Hill used the same program, and I thought their emotional portrayal was more powerful. Hawayek & Baker skated the FD well at Nationals (though I personally preferred the period costumes from earlier in the season), but it was a VERY well skated dance event that year.

Essentially, it was building block. Most teams go through that kind of season when they transition up from juniors. Many of them go through it the first year. Hawayek & Baker went through it the second.

Good points, Ice Dance. You live up to your name! After a strong 2017-18 season, let's hope k/J-L keep the momentum going!

shine

Record Breaker
NHK just cannot come soon enough....After the last two masterpieces of FD's, I can't wait to see what Jean-Luc and Kaitlin will bring this season. And Jean-Luc in Tango? I'm already swooning without even seeing it :love:

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Haven't see it yet! How did they do?

Great, they were 2nd after rhythm dance. I am so happy for their win! They are my favorite US ice dance team. So glad someone (judges) FINALLY realize how awesome they are. Their FD was close to flawless and so FAST!

GGFan

Record Breaker
I have been in love with these two since their first year as seniors and their Romeo and Juliet program.:luv17: I never go back and watch programs from juniors but for them I did. Their Amelie program was top notch. :clap: I look back at myself then and I laugh! I thought they were going to move pass Maddie and Zach and make a rapid rise up the ranks. I watched them on TSL and said to myself, it's gonna happen soon for this team. :palmf:

Instead Kaitlin and Jean Luc got their Theory of Everything Program (what was Pasquale thinking?) while Maddie and Zach moved to Montreal, cementing Kaitlin and Jean Luc into 4th place purgatory. :sad4:

I then remember being devastated through their mistakes and fluke falls. :hpull:

I was so happy when they brought back Liebestraum for the second year and go their redemption at Nationals. :hap10: Then I heard about the move to Montreal and I got really hopeful (but cautiously so) :think:

Four years later, and all of that to say that their win at NHK is so SATISFYING! I'm over the moon for them. :hap57::hap93:

The programs still need mileage but if they build momentum this is definitely their chance to move up. :pray:

Last edited:

Spiralgraph

On the Ice
Country
United-States
I'm thrilled for Kaitlin and Jean-Luc. They've had a difficult path these last few years, just being a step behind the top three at US nationals. Now they took advantage of their unexpected opportunity and won a grand prix. :hap57: Nationals will be even more exciting now.

RemyRose

YOLO
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'm thrilled for Kaitlin and Jean-Luc. They've had a difficult path these last few years, just being a step behind the top three at US nationals. Now they took advantage of their unexpected opportunity and won a grand prix. :hap57: Nationals will be even more exciting now.

OMG they won? YESSS, great news! :yahoo: Off to find a video!

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Happy to see them win a gold here!! I was really fortunate to have met them a few seasons back and even got the chance to share a cup of coffee with them. These two are very awesome and I just couldn’t be any happier knowing that they won! Let’s hope for more success!!

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I just can't with Jean-Luc and Kaitlin choking up during the anthem at the medal ceremony, I just can't.

So happy for them:yes2: