Thread: 2014-2015 National Championships Predictions game

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA CaroLiza_fan's Avatar

2014-2015 National Championships Predictions game

Now that the GP Predictions Game is in full swing, it has started me thinking about the National Championships Predictions Game.

I don’t know about anybody else, but I really enjoyed the Nationals Game. And that’s not just because it was my baby! Making predictions gave us an excuse to find out about the skaters that were competing, and to spot up-and-coming talent.

Unfortunately, the game was organised too late last season to take in the first few significant national championships. So, I would like to get the ball rolling now on the member consultations.

Below is a list of the upcoming national championships that are listed on Wikipedia:

Date Event Type Level Disc. Location
    12th – 14th December German Championships Nats. Senior All Stuttgart, Germany
    18th – 21st December French Championships Nats. Senior All Megève, France
    19th – 21st December Four Nationals Championships
    (Czech, Slovak, Polish, Hungarian)
    Nats Senior All Budapest, Hungary
    20th – 21st December Italian Championships Nats. Sen.–Jun. All Turin, Italy
    24th – 28th December Russian Championships Nats. Senior All Sochi, Russia
    25th – 28th December Japan Championships Nats. Senior All Nagano, Japan
    27th – 28th December Chinese Championships Nats. Senior All Changchun, China
    18th – 25th January U.S. Championships Nats. Sen.–Juv. All Greensboro, North Carolina
    19th – 25th January Canadian Championships Nats. Sen.–Nov. All Kingston, Ontario

Last season we were panicking because the dates for American and Canadian Nationals were the same. However, we subsequently found out that the Senior competitions did not overlap. So, I am hoping that the same is the case this season.

Unfortunately, some of the national championships are running slightly different dates this season to what they did last season.

Last season, we had the Japanese Championships from 21st – 24th December; Russian Championships from 24th – 26th December; and Chinese Championships from 28th – 29th December. It was a great Christmas period for figure skating fans, with three championships, but no overlaps.

HOWEVER, this year the Japanese Championships are starting a few days later, and the Chinese Championships are starting a few days earlier. As a result, ALL THREE championships are on AT THE SAME TIME!!!

The Russian, Japanese, American and Canadian championships are the most significant of all the national championships. Hey, that’s why they each have their own separate sub-forum here on Golden Skate.

So, although we don’t like having 2 rounds of the Predictions Game being held at the same time, it may be something we have to put up with a couple of times this season.

After the problems we had last season with finding out information, translating names into Latin characters, and no livestream to watch on, I propose that we do not include Chinese Nationals in the Predictions Game this time round.

It would be nice to include the Four Nationals Championships. But, it might be too complicated to make predictions. Are we predicting the overall results? Are we predicting the results for the individual countries? Also, they are on at the same time as BOTH the French and Italian national championships.

So, my proposal for the Predictions Game rounds would be:

Round 1: German Nationals (12th – 14th December 2014)
    Round 2: French Nationals (18th – 21st December 2014)
    Round 3: Italian Nationals (20th – 21st December 2014)
    Round 4: Russian Nationals (24th – 28th December 2014)
    Round 5: Japanese Nationals (25th – 28th December 2014)
    Round 6: American Nationals (18th – 25th January 2015)
    Round 7: Canadian Nationals (19th – 25th January 2015)

This proposal is one round more than we had last season. However, it is the same number of rounds that the GP Predictions Game has always had.

However, if we have an ISU Championships Predictions Game this season (which I really hope we do!), it will have one less round than last season, as there will be no Olympics.

So, in total, the same number of competitions to predict on as last season.

Let me know what you think

CaroLiza_fan

I would be interested in playing, but with countries like Germany or Italy...is it even competitive enough to be a real contest? I don't know if I could name more than 2 Italian men currently competing, for example. Which kind of takes the fun out of it.

Custom Title
    I am also interested in playing but I agree with Gallavich. Here would be my idea...

US- Senior to Junior (All four Disciplines)
    Russia- Senior and Junior (All four Disciplines)
    Canada- Senior (maybe Junior) (All four Disciplines)
    Japan- Senior (Men and Ladies)

Japan's Pairs and Dance field I pretty limited, as well as their Juniors. If you add in Juniors for US, Russia and maybe Canada, it is more competitive. Just an idea

Quote Originally Posted by gallavich View Post
    I would be interested in playing, but with countries like Germany or Italy...is it even competitive enough to be a real contest? I don't know if I could name more than 2 Italian men currently competing, for example. Which kind of takes the fun out of it.
    Last year, Italian Nationals was actually one of the most interesting rounds we had, as we learnt about so many skaters that did not have much international experience. And, for those that we did know, we got to see what sort of form they were in before Europeans came along.

It was with this in mind that I suggested including Germany and France this season.

What you see as something that took the fun out of it, others (like myself) saw as putting the fun into it!

(Incidentally, in last year's Italian Championships, the Men's category actually had quite a healthy field, with 5 men who we see regularly on the international stage. And of these, the podium finishers were particularly well known. The Ladies had a bigger field, but only the podium finishers were recognisable names).

Quote Originally Posted by Skategmt View Post
    I am also interested in playing but I agree with Gallavich. Here would be my idea...

Japan's Pairs and Dance field I pretty limited, as well as their Juniors. If you add in Juniors for US, Russia and maybe Canada, it is more competitive. Just an idea
    Sorry. When I was posting my original comment, I meant to include a link to last year's rules. (For some reason, the thread got split when it was being moved to a different area of the forum, so it is now in 2 parts)

2013-2014 National Chamipionships Predictions Game Rules Part 1 and Part 2

In here is the strategy we developed for categories with small entries. Basically, if it has less than 5 entries, it doesn't count towards the Game score.

As for including Juniors, well when we were doing the ISU Championships Predictions Game last season I had suggested including Junior Worlds. But, we decided against this as we were worried that it might be going a bit overboard on competitions to predict on, and people would get bored. Plus, a lot of people (myself included) don't watch Junior competitions, and so wouldn't know anybody!

But, as I said in the original post, I'm open to ideas!

Also, if anybody would be interested in scoring, please let me know.

CaroLiza_fan

a cat watching figure skating alebi's Avatar
    I didn't play last year but this year I want to give a try
    I doubt I'm able to predict 5 positions, maybe only the podium, the best 3.. I also think some competitions will have less than 5 entries. Is it strictly always and only 5 positions?

Quote Originally Posted by alebi View Post
    I didn't play last year but this year I want to give a try
    I doubt I'm able to predict 5 positions, maybe only the podium, the best 3.. I also think some competitions will have less than 5 entries. Is it strictly always and only 5 positions?
    That's the unfortunate thing, when you have competitions with a very low number of entries.

Last year, I was willing to include all categories, no matter how many entries there were. And if there were too few entries, then just predict on who was there. But the overwhelming opinion was to only include competitions with 5 entries or more. So, I compromised and suggested that players can predict on the smaller-entry competitions for fun if they wanted, but they would not count towards the Game score.

Personally, I think it is more fun when you are doing more predictions!

And it doesn't matter if you only know a few of the entries. Hey, with your Men's Championship last year, I only knew 3 of the entries (Bariev, Parkinson, and Bacchini), yet I still managed to get the maximum 75 points!

So, you can see why I am so keen to include the Italian Championships this year again!

CaroLiza_fan

On the Ice
    I have just joined Golden Skate in the last year, but am I exciting about being a part of the Nationals predictions. I do like your original proposal and it sounds good. That being said, what has it been like trying to find live streams that aren't geo-blocked? I've never really tried to live stream other nationals before. Is it possible? Also, could the number of predictions depend on the competition? Like for US, Canada, Russia and Japan singles it be Top 5 and then the others be just the podium?
    Also, now that I've seen how the GP predictions game plays out, I would be willing to offer my services as a scorer if you need that. Please let me know!

Thanks for tackling this early, and I'm excited to participate!

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    There were definitely Russian championships live streams last year.

US Championships were on icenetwork, and as long as you paid their subscription, you could watch all events live, and all the regionals and sectionals that led up to them. The US stuff is not geoblocked. What was and is geoblocked are international competition, like Worlds, Euros & the GPF.

Geoblocking happens if the event is carried on TV somewhere, and there are conflicting licenses.

Is it possible to have Chinese Championships predictions scoring but not counting towards the final score?

umm...
    Quote Originally Posted by Skategmt View Post

I think it's a good idea. I don't like to make random picks.

Quote Originally Posted by cjmorton29 View Post
    Also, could the number of predictions depend on the competition? Like for US, Canada, Russia and Japan singles it be Top 5 and then the others be just the podium?
    That's actually not too bad an idea.

Of course, I would still like to keep it at 5 whenever possible, as that is what we are used to, and it does tend to level out anomalous results better.

But for competitions with less than 5 entries, yes predicting on the podium positions would be a nice alternative to just ignoring them completely!

Quote Originally Posted by cjmorton29 View Post
    I have just joined Golden Skate in the last year, but am I exciting about being a part of the Nationals predictions. I do like your original proposal and it sounds good. That being said, what has it been like trying to find live streams that aren't geo-blocked? I've never really tried to live stream other nationals before. Is it possible?
    Quote Originally Posted by dorispulaski View Post
    There were definitely Russian championships live streams last year.

US Championships were on icenetwork, and as long as you paid their subscription, you could watch all events live, and all the regionals and sectionals that led up to them. The US stuff is not geoblocked. What was and is geoblocked are international competition, like Worlds, Euros & the GPF.

Geoblocking happens if the event is carried on TV somewhere, and there are conflicting licenses.
    As you know, I live in the UK, so I can only speak for what we could view. It may be different in other parts of the world.

Firstly, I don't know if there were streams for American and Canadian Championships that weren't geo-blocked, because they were on the same week as Europeans, and I was watching it instead.

As for the others, I had no problems watching Italian, Russian and Japanese Championships. The coverage for all three was absolutely brilliant - we got to see every single skater!

Yes, it may have seemed strange spending the whole of the Christmas period watching skating on the computer. But I loved it!!!

For the Chinese Championships, we were searching for news about streams for ages. And then one of our Chinese members told us that they have never been streamed online. So, we just had to rely on the results pages.

Quote Originally Posted by WoChair View Post
    Is it possible to have Chinese Championships predictions scoring but not counting towards the final score?
    I suppose we could do the Chinese like that. But, the problem we had last year was not so much making the predictions, as we knew who the top skaters should be (although, Li Zijun wasn't there). The problem was more getting the information we needed before we could make the predictions.

It was not until 10 days before the Championships started that we found the entry list. But everything was in Chinese - entry lists, results pages, etc. And we had a lot of problems translating the names into Latin characters, because Google Translate was coming up with some VERY weird results!

At the end of the day, it was just not as much fun when we couldn't actually watch the skating, and were instead relying on pages we couldn't read easily.

And with them being held at the same time as the Japanese and Russian Championships this year, it is going to be an awful amount of work on the scorers of each category.

I did scoring on a couple of competitions last season, and it is a very time consuming process. That is why I am so in awe of the scorers we currently have in the GP Game. Every week, they are managing to get the scores up within 48 hours of the competition finishing!

But, if other members are willing to predict on the Chinese Championships, and the scorers are happy to score them, then I would be happy enough to include them again this year.

Having made predictions on a result does give an extra layer of excitement when you are watching a competition!

CaroLiza_fan
    Last edited by CaroLiza_fan; 11-24-2014 at 05:31 AM.