Thread: Edmonton Oilers hire Dave Pelletier as skating coach

skating philosopher

Edmonton Oilers hire Dave Pelletier as skating coach

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sport...ticle20643606/

The Edmonton Oilers have added former Olympic figure skating champion David Pelletier as a skating coach.

Pelletier is best known for winning the Olympic gold in pairs figure skating along with partner Jamie Sale at the 2002 Salt Lake City Games. The Canadians were awarded gold medals along with a Russian pair after a judging scandal.
    Interesting tidbit that Jamie Sale is currently married to Craig Simpson, who used to play for Oilers

Dumb question: Why would a hockey team want to hire a figure skating coach? I know that Kori Ade has done workshops with hockey teams. Is it something to do with the ability of figure skaters to gain speed using edge work>?

Custom Title
    I've read somewhere that many hokey player took some figure skating lesson to improve their skating skill, their swiftness and generally their capacity to turn around faster... maybe they want to start a regular project for their player to improve in those areas ?

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    Figure skaters have coached skating for hockey teams for a long time. Canadian pair skater Barbara Underhill has done it for quite a while AFAIR.

http://www.psmag.com/navigation/book...l-skate-76542/

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. P View Post
    Dumb question: Why would a hockey team want to hire a figure skating coach? I know that Kori Ade has done workshops with hockey teams. Is it something to do with the ability of figure skaters to gain speed using edge work>?
    Figure skaters can work with hockey players on skating technique to help them skate faster and more efficiently. Here's another link about Barb Underhill's work in the NHL, and I think there are others.

BTW, Jeff Skinner, who plays for the Hurricanes, used to skate competitively in Canada - he was a bronze medalist at the juvenile level. I guess the skills can't hurt

Landing 3As in my dreams! skatedreamer's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dorispulaski View Post
    Figure skaters have coached skating for hockey teams for a long time. Canadian pair skater Barbara Underhill has done it for quite a while AFAIR.

http://www.psmag.com/navigation/book...l-skate-76542/
    Very interesting article...though I must admit my favorite bit was the pic of tiny little Barb next to a hockey player who's a helluva lot taller. Go Mighty Mouse!

The Cutting Edge comes to mind. Too bad hockey skates don't have toe picks, though...

Custom Title
    Quite a few Canadian figure skaters, including Patrick Chan, have originally taken figure skating as pre training for hockey. Retired hockey players who have competed as Pairs skaters in CBC's Battle Of The Blades programs commonly express, after the experience, that they wish they had taken figure skating lessons earlier as it would have helped their games and hockey careers greatly.

eta a very funny spoof of a figure skater playing hockey.

etaa Kurt Browning has experimented and skated a program in hockey skates. No toe picks!

Custom Title
    Max Aaron took up figure skating to have ice time in the summer when there were no hockey leagues. After he went back to hockey, he said his teammates noticed his greatly improved skating skills.

skating philosopher
    Thanks everyone. That's what I figured.

Anyway, that's another cool post-competition job for our skaters. :D

Custom Title
    I wondered what had become of David. He and Jamie were my all-time favorite pairs team. I was really sad when their marraige broke up.

Rinkside
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. P View Post
    Dumb question: Why would a hockey team want to hire a figure skating coach?
    Actually, it's a great question Mrs. P. As an Edmontonian who was an enthusiastic Oilers fan until they tanked a few years ago and struggled to hold on to last place, this is simply another desperation move by the Oilers. The Oilers organization has become a revolving door for players, coaches and staff. The answer to your question is obviously, to me, that management is saying, "Maybe this will help." I say good ******* luck.

Thanks for the opportunity to do a little spleen venting, Mrs. P.