Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Weir/Lipinski take spot as top figure skating commentators at NBC

News Weir/Lipinski take spot as top figure skating commentators at NBC

According to an article by Phil Hersh, Johnny Weir and Tara Lipinski (joined by Terry Gannon) will be NBC's primary team for figure skating commentary. He characterizes the future role of Hamilton/Bezic/Hammond as 'uncertain.'

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports...918-story.html

Discuss!

Custom Title
    Well. . . it seems plenty of people were unhappy with Scott and Sandra. . .

still fangirling for Toller... el henry's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by breathesgelatin View Post
    According to an article by Phil Hersh, Johnny Weir and Tara Lipinski (joined by Terry Gannon) will be NBC's primary team for figure skating commentary. He characterizes the future role of Hamilton/Bezic/Hammond as 'uncertain.'

Discuss!
    I found Johnny uncommonly interesting and serious; I was impressed. Tara I find annoying. Can't say why.

I will miss Scotty, despite all the complaints here. I thought his commentary was entertaining, and I like that he got excited. Sandra I can live without (maybe I don't like ladies).

Bring back Dick Button!

#TeamAUS
    I really enjoyed both commentary teams but i beleive that niw is the appropriate time to have a change. This was inevitable and it was going to happen anyway.

Good for them! I admit I'd probably take anyone at all over Scott and Sandra...but I happen to like Johnny & Tara, so that's excellent news.

Custom Title
    It also means we get to see what they're wearing. And you know Johnny NEVER disappoints!!

Celebrating the Excellence of #VirtueMoir golden411's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by breathesgelatin View Post

Discuss!
    Thanks, BG.

(BTW, although Hersh says the NBC broadcast schedule has not been finalized, US Figure Skating has published a version:

Custom Title
    Wow this is shocking. I figured Scott and Sandra would stick around until they retired. I will miss Scott though i did like that he got excited when someone skated really well.

Good, I don't like Scott and Sandra. I don't really enjoy Johnny all that much but he is less annoying than Scott. I like Tara's commentary in general. I also don't like Kurt and Tracy Wilson either. They are way too bias for me. I like Nancy too.

I have never been a fan of Sandra's commentary. She lost me when she went on and on about Johnny's slight stumble during his LP in Vancouver. He may as well have fallen 7 times for the way she went on and on about it. Scott was alright, he always seemed to want every skater to do well and was supportive of them if they didn't.

I like Johnny and think Tara is ok. It is funny how they hooked up and became a package deal, it works.
    They will both be sitting pretty , all Johnny's financial problems will be history from now on. I hope this draws a new fan base to skating, it sure can use it.

Custom Title
    I think this excellent news! Sciott's screeching gives me migraines. Johnny has a capacity to make skating interesting even non-enthusiasts (several friends contacted me just to rave about his commentary during the Olympics) and he knows a lot of even the younger skaters personally, which adds a lot to his commentary. He, Tara, and Terry (love Terry!) have a good dynamic. Now if we could only get NBC to actually broadcast skating live...

Tripping on the Podium
    Not a fan of Weir/Lipinski banter. I wonder if that means Sandra will get to do some competitive choreography again.

Size 7 Knife Boots Sam-Skwantch's Avatar
    The thing is that this pairing just seems to work. Like them or not it is good for marketing in a sport that is desperate to appeal to new fans. They bring a much more modern character to the sport. Congrats to both.

Celebrating the Excellence of #VirtueMoir golden411's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by KwanIsALegend View Post
    ... Scott was alright, he always seemed to want every skater to do well and was supportive of them if they didn't. ...
    Hersh updated the original version of the story. Added a quote from Hamilton.

Hamilton, who also did three Olympics for CBS, confirmed Thursday NBC had told him his tenure as a primary commentator was over.

"I was blessed to have that seat for seven Olympics," Hamilton, the 1984 Olympic champion, said in a text message. "I always had the best interests of skating and the skaters at heart. I never wanted it to be about me, and I still don't. I wish them great success."

ETA, tweets from ‏@SandraBezic:

Wishing @Tara_Lipinski @JohnnyGWeir the very best success covering figs for @NBCSports. So grateful to have had the honour for 24 years...
    3:47 PM - 18 Sep 2014
    https://twitter.com/SandraBezic/stat...34708203941888

..Working with the @NBCSports @NBCOlympics family, Tom Hammond @ScottHamilton84,Tracy Wilson & @andijoyce has been a treasured experience.
    3:47 PM - 18 Sep 2014
    https://twitter.com/SandraBezic/stat...34715883712512

Custom Title
    Ugh.

I kinda liked Weir's commentary at the beginning of last year (especially given he was the only Western commentator to shut up and let us appreciate the beauty of Josh's SL step sequence) - but by the end of the year, his bitterness was out of control. Jeremy and Jason could have won the lot and jumped eight quads each and they wouldn't have been good enough for him at the Olympics. It was really obvious that he resented basically everyone there who was better than him (which covers pretty much the whole top five at US nationals at least).

So to have to listen to that for a whole season...I'm not sure I like it.

While I hated Scott's commentary on any non-American, I did love the way he got so crazy excited when they were skating well and bringing the roof down.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast