2014-2015 Programs by Discipline | Page 10 | Golden Skate

2014-2015 Programs by Discipline

anyanka

Record Breaker
I've been critical of Bobrova / Soloviev due to personal preference, but I'll give credit where it's due: the Anna Karenina soundtrack for their 2014/15 FD is an excellent choice. Dario Marionelli's score is glorious, full of nuances and subtle drama. I look forward to seeing their interpretation. :)

Alba

Record Breaker
I've been critical of Bobrova / Soloviev due to personal preference, but I'll give credit where it's due: the Anna Karenina soundtrack for their 2014/15 FD is an excellent choice. Dario Marionelli's score is glorious, full of nuances and subtle drama. I look forward to seeing their interpretation. :)

The only problem I have with their programs is too much drama. Carmen+Karenina=Death! Twice not once. :slink: :biggrin:

anyanka

Record Breaker
The only problem I have with their programs is too much drama. Carmen+Karenina=Death! Twice not once. :slink: :biggrin:

Hopefully something playful for 2016? Their SD last season was excellent, there's a showmanship in the jazz number there that's joyous and infectious.

At least the AK score is light and delicate in many spots. It was otherwise Faust (death), then Tosca (insanity = death), Four Seasons (birds = death) and now Anna who throws herself under the train. Hopefully they'll pick up on one of the other aspects of the music, it's beautifully multi-layered.

Alba

Record Breaker
Hopefully something playful for 2016? Their SD last season was excellent, there's a showmanship in the jazz number there that's joyous and infectious.

:agree: I think they are much more lyrical than Zhulin thinks. Also, Jazz number would be great for them.

bramweld

Record Breaker
:agree: I think they are much more lyrical than Zhulin thinks. Also, Jazz number would be great for them.

Agreed. I thought their first SD for the Olympic season was fabulous. The second for me was meh. They could handle more sophisticated choreo with ease, if given the chance.

supsu

On the Ice
In Gold's interview they said she'll do two triple-triples in the long.. what can that mean...?
A 3lz-3t and 3f-3lo maybe?

But...

FSGMT

Record Breaker
In Gold's interview they said she'll do two triple-triples in the long.. what can that mean...?

But...
Maybe she wants to go back to the 3F+1Lo+3S :think: Anyway, she doesn't need them: 7 triples+two 2As if skated clean is all she needs to win in any competition

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States

But...

More likely 3F 1/2Lo 3S, or something of that sort with the 3lz3t. She used to include a jump of this sort, but dropped it this year. I really doubt she wouid be doing a combo with a 3Lo as the second jump.
She used to do one of those.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Min/Koleto are working with Christopher Dean for their FD!

http://web.icenetwork.com/news/2014/07/03/82717466

Ice dancing legend Christopher Dean only choreographs for a few teams each season. He recently spent two weeks working with Korean dance team Yura Min and Tim Koleto on a new free dance, which they plan to debut at the U.S. International Classic in Salt Lake City in September.

Koleto told us he wanted to work with Dean, particularly because of his work with Piper Gilles and Paul Poirier.

"We always loved Piper and Paul's programs," he said. "We thought they were interesting and intricate. Paso [Doble] (the 2014-15 short dance rhythm) was going to be so intense; it has a strong, aggressive character. We wanted to do the polar opposite of that for the free dance."

Dean, Koleto and Min chose music from the movie The Triplets of Belleville, along with Caravan Palace's "Suzy."

"I love it," Min said. "It's a lot different from what people usually choose. I feel like we chose really good music that fits our style; it's quirky and cute and fun."

"You can throw sophisticated in there too," Koleto added. "It's very surreal."

The team's coach, Igor Shpilband, choreographed their short dance to "Malaguena" and "Fiesta Flamenca" by Monty Kelly.

Sai Bon

Final Flight
Country
New-Zealand
Thank you Doris :) . And Victura, I am curious about Taka Kozuka too, I know he decided to continue this season, but I dont know why he did not got surgery.
AFAIK he decided against surgery because of the risk of not being able to come back or having to take a long time off. I believe it's a congenital condition. I guess he won't be competing for many more years and decided to keep going while he can.

sisinka

Medalist
Hopefully it was not posted yet...

Dance:
Monko & Khaliavin's FD - Sarabande by Handel

Stepanova & Bukin's FD - Beatles - Eleanor Rigby

FSGMT

Record Breaker
Hopefully it was not posted yet...

Dance:
Monko & Khaliavin's FD - Sarabande by Handel

Stepanova & Bukin's FD - Beatles - Eleanor Rigby
Thank you, very interesting choices! Both are very dramatic pieces, I think they can produce good programs with them... And, they were both used by D/W :biggrin:

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Well now that S/Z are no longer together, there needs to be a new Russian couple to dp D/W's greatest hits. LOL

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Here's the article annoucing S&B's programs. Translation is by Bing, with some work by me.

http://www.rsport.ru/figure_skating/20140704/756243901.html

Moscow, 4 Jul-r-sports, Maria Vorobieva. 2013 world junior champions in ice dancing, Russians Alexandra Stepanov and Ivan Bukin in the new free dance will use the legendary Beatles song "Eleanor Rigby," as told to "r-Sports"by the skaters' coach, Alexander Svinin.

Stepanova and Bukin finished last season in sixth place in the Championship of Russia and didn't make it to the national team to participate at the European, world and Olympic Games. After this finish, the skaters returned to competition at the junior level, winning the Russian Junior Championship, but due to illness, the partners had to miss competing at the World Junior Championship.

"The short dance this season is a Paso doble-we are using a classic orchestral performance," said Svinin over the phone, "And for free dance, we chose a song by The Beatles, "Eleanor Rigby", is a very well known piece. I must say that this year the guys take on it will be very different. "

"The idea in principle," Svinin shared, "We have arranged the music in an interesting way-there is a violinist, the guys liked her very much. The words in the song begin in the second half of the program. We do not stray far from the theme song, which tells a story about lonely people. We tried to keep the mood of the song and lyric very strongly. In a nutshell-these are two lone Wanderer on ice ".

The coach also shared his impressions of the new short dance. "As it turned out, Sasha & Ivan have a very classic program," said Svinin. -"We picked up the song, which is very strong, with a good Orchestra, filling all their sound. In a word-it's a classic, and classic is always a very sound choice. "

Monko & Khaliavin's FD, Sarabande, is from Monko/Khaliavin "Suite No. 4 in D-Minor" by Handel

Last edited:

sisinka

Medalist
Well now that S/Z are no longer together, there needs to be a new Russian couple to dp D/W's greatest hits. LOL

:think:

Once again problems with music which was already used before…

I take like most famous Sarabande program Denkova & Staviski’s FD in 2004, but overall Sarabande was used by many skaters.

Eleanor Rigby was also used by Crone & Poirier, it was even choreographed by Chris Dean, who is not known for repetition of “another ice dancer‘s programs“.

I would rather say that Meryl and Charlie always tried to use well known melodies instead of looking for something completely new for ice dance, and like them many other skaters before them and after them had/have the same idea.

If you want to be precise, you should say also
Meryl and Charlie used:
- Sarabande FD in 2005/06 which was taken from Denkova & Staviski (FD in 2003/04)
- Polovetsian Dances FD in 2006/07 which was taken from Bestemianova & Bukin (FD in 1988) and Domnina & Shabalin (FD in the same season 2006/07)
- Phantom of The Opera FD in 2009/10 which was taken from their colleagues Chock & Zuerlein (FD in 2008/09)
- Tango FD – everybody skated tango before them…and will after them…
- Esmeralda FD in 2012/13 which was taken from Annissina & Peizerat famous exhi number or for example from Visnova & Csolley – 4th place at Junior World Champs 2011
- My Fair Lady SD in 2013/14 which was taken from Faiella & Scali (SD in 2010/11)
- La Traviata excerpt from their SD in 2010/11 was taken from Krylova & Ovsiannikov (SD in 1998/99)
- Strauss was overused as well…
- Samson and Dalilah, Kalinka and Scheherezade are overused in single cathegories or pairs…

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Yes, fortunately D&W seldom used music that would make the a sizable group of listeners prefer to have repeated electrical shocks rather than have to hear their music again; this is not a bad thing, IMO.