2014-2015 Programs by Discipline | Page 20 | Golden Skate

2014-2015 Programs by Discipline

Ophelia

Record Breaker
There was a 2013 film of Romeo and Juliet?

I really hope the Korean skaters try other choreographers besides Wilson. One of the things that irritated me about Kim was her devotion to Wilson. Her programs started looking the same the last 2 years.

kwanatic

Check out my YT channel, Bare Ice!
Record Breaker
Kim Hae Jin
SP - Porgy and Bess by Gershwin (choreo by Stephane Lambiel), maybe with vocals?
LP - Rhapsody in blue by Gershwin (choreo by David Wilson)

Park So Youn
SP - Introduction and Rondo Capriccioso by Saint-Saens (choreo by Wilson)
LP - Romeo & Juliet soundtrack from the 2013 movie (also Wilson)

source from this Korean article

*sigh* So much for them setting themselves apart by doing something different...I guess b/c they're new they want to stick to the status quo. I just think it'd be better to set yourself apart from the rest of the R&Js, Rondos and Rhapsodys by doing something different.

Ah well.

Meoima

Match Penalty
I really hope the Korean skaters try other choreographers besides Wilson. One of the things that irritated me about Kim was her devotion to Wilson. Her programs started looking the same the last 2 years.
:slink: Same thoughts here. Oh Wilson...:bang:

Ophelia

Record Breaker
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_MpoBf2BWng

Zijun Li's exhibition for Artistry, music: I Dreamed A Dream (sounds like Anne Hathaway singing….:disapp:)

The video quality isn't the best, but it looks like she's got deeper, more fluid edges and a more convincing performance quality. Dunno if this is from working with Lori and the Canadians over the summer or if its physical maturation + more muscles. Probably both.

I know the song is overplayed but I love this program! Her best exhibition by far and one of the better Les Mis programs we've seen of late.

That's quite the Ina Bauer she has.

cooper

Medalist
romeo and juliet 2013 version.. starring hailee steinfeld.. and one of the most underrated actors paul giamatti.. if they're saying it's a soundtrack then i'm hoping they will incorporate this song which was part of the first trailer of the movie.. it's a beautiful song..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bRjuitmiu7k

oh god i'm hoping david will come up w/ a new choreography.. he's getting redundant lately..

Ophelia

Record Breaker
^That's actually a great piece of music. Dunno if Park So Youn is actually using that cut.

kwanatic

Check out my YT channel, Bare Ice!
Record Breaker
oh god i'm hoping david will come up w/ a new choreography.. he's getting redundant lately..

ITA.:slink:

Unless Wilson can find a muse to inspire some new creativity, I fear we will end up with B and C versions of Yu-Na. That wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing (I think Yu-Na had a lovely style) but I'd like to see So Youn and Hae Jin develop their own identities rather than become knock-off versions of Yu-Na.

Lori always developed really great programs for Mao and Carolina that highlighted their style and made them look good. Mao's programs didn't look like Carolina's nor did Carolina's look like Mao's...I'm scared the programs Wilson will make for So Youn and Hae Jin will look like something he'd give to Yu-Na. I'm sure they'll be nice (I really liked Hae Jin's "Black Swan" FS last season) but if they're in the Yu-Na/David style it's going to prevent the girls from really developing their own style as skaters.

I'd bet all of the Korean girls coming up are going to try to emulate Yu-Na but I do think, to avoid a bunch of mini Yu-Nas running around, the skaters should seek out some different choreographers.

One thing about this sport is its resistance to change. Maybe it's redundant to say but I don't see that changing anytime soon. I don't know if its the fear of trying something out of the ordinary or just the inability to use creativity to present themselves in a different light. Some skaters have a uniqueness to them but I would say by some of the upcoming programs a lot do not....

It's really sad. There is such a variety of music and styles out there but there seems to be a fear of stepping outside of that tried and tested box...and when people do, a lot of the time they're shot down/criticized for it. That's one reason I really appreciate Adelina. Her style is off...it really is...but it's off in a good way b/c it's completely different from what everyone else is doing and, to me, that makes her stand out. About 10 years ago I would have hated it b/c I prefer skaters like Michelle, Sasha, Mao, Yu-Na, Carolina and Akiko in terms of style: classical, elegant, refined, poised and clean. Anything outside of that style was "ugly" to me and I immediately dismissed it.

In the last 8 years I've followed skating ten times more closely than I followed it while Michelle and Sasha were competing. I follow junior and senior ladies from all over the world instead of just the US senior ladies (which was all I followed from 1995-2005). After seeing so many skaters recycle the same music over and over and have such similar styles, now I can appreciate a style that's a little out of left field. I used to hate Irina Slutskaya's skating...I still kinda do:laugh:. Next to the polish and elegance of Michelle and Sasha, Irina looked like a clunky tank whipping around the ice. I saw no "beauty" there. Now, I see the value in having a different style of skating. Irina's skating wasn't pretty to me, but it was powerful, energetic and athletic. I can appreciate that now whereas before, she was just an eyesore to me.

Adelina's style isn't what I usually go for...it's kinda elegant but also gritty. Some people don't like it but I respect the fact that she doesn't adhere to the status quo and that she tries something different. Her style is unique to her and IMO it works for her. Other skaters who don't fit into that classically elegant box are Elena Radionova and Kanako Murakami...but they perform and really connect to their programs. I'm finding that in the last few years I've started to appreciate performance even more than the aesthetics; I'll take a less refined program that's performed to the nth degree (Elena's "Frida" FS) over an elegant yet dull/boring/lifeless program (Zijun's "Coppelia" FS). Given that so many of the classically elegant/artistic skaters have exited the sport this year (Mao, Yu-Na, Carolina, Akiko, Alissa) in order for me to enjoy skating for this next quad, I realize my perceptions will have to shift somewhat. I've broadened my view of what I consider to be artistic or beautiful skating.

I've accepted that style isn't a one size fits all kind of thing. I still prefer elegant and refined skating, but I enjoy when people mix it up a little too. I wish more skaters would embrace being original and venture outside of the Gershwin/Tchiakovsky/Rachmaninoff/etc. box that skaters have been confined to for so long. Hopefully with the rule allowing vocal music skaters will use that as an opportunity branch out and try something new...hopefully.

Kuan

Final Flight
At least I am not surprised it is Wilson :laugh: Yuna and David spent some weeks in LA this summer together with the girls, thats why I thoght it is certain he will choreograph everything for them. Yuna supported them with translation. But I am also happy Hae Jin tried to work with Stephan, thogh I don´t like Gershwin that much :eek:hwell:.

FSGMT

Record Breaker
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_MpoBf2BWng

Zijun Li's exhibition for Artistry, music: I Dreamed A Dream (sounds like Anne Hathaway singing….:disapp:)

The video quality isn't the best, but it looks like she's got deeper, more fluid edges and a more convincing performance quality. Dunno if this is from working with Lori and the Canadians over the summer or if its physical maturation + more muscles. Probably both.

I know the song is overplayed but I love this program! Her best exhibition by far and one of the better Les Mis programs we've seen of late.
It doesn't sound like Hathaway's version at all, at least not the film one, that is far more passionate and dramatic than this ;)

Meoima

Match Penalty
Waltz of the Flowers is from The Nutcracker. Moon River is Henry Mancini.
Oh thanks so much. I love Zijun Li, I hope she will thrive this season. :love: Go to youtube and listen to her music choices right away.