2014-2015 Programs by Discipline | Page 32 | Golden Skate

2014-2015 Programs by Discipline

skatedreamer

Medalist
Country
United-States
Haven't others done music from Beauty and the Beast and Sleeping Beauty? I don't remember there being any fuss about it being kid-music.

Well, last year Gracie used the Tchaikovsky Sleeping Beauty, of course. Not sure if anyone has used the music from the Disney film. Same for Beauty and the Beast, although I'd be surprised if anyone hadn't. As for Mulan, even though I love all 3 films, IMO, both SB and BATB are better overall and beat Mulan hands down in terms of music. Of the 3, to me the Mulan music feels more in the kid vein; maybe that's because it's much more recent and is more influenced by pop music. Although the other 2 are certainly kid-friendly, the scores for both seem more sophisticated to me than Mulan.

For Disney music, I wish someone would use Alice in Wonderland -- especially the Bill Evans jazz piano trio version! :)

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I think it'd be a nice song for a 10 year old, and as an exhibition program only.

We'll see if your prediction comes true. It's kind of silly to say these things without actually seeing the program or at least hearing the musical selections though IMO. Unless of course you know something we do not.

shine

Record Breaker
I know how "I'll make a man out of you" sounds. And I don't need to know anything more than you do to justify the comment that I made.

Sam-Skwantch

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Nevermind. I'm not really sold on that track either. There are some good scores to choose from this movie anyway. We'll see what comes of it in good time.

FSGMT

Record Breaker
All ***UNCONFIRMED*** ATM but word on Russian social media is Yulia will skate her SP to Bel Suono : Megapolis and her FS to Disney's Mulan. I'm searching for an official release other than her fan page which has retracted things before.

FWIW I found this info on her fan page which she has admin rights to and posts there herself on occasion.

MUSIC:
SP: http://youtu.be/i-4v4XxpnIc
FS: nothing released yet
Megapolis is simply SUPERB!! :love: I'm super excited about it, she could produce something phenomenal... As for Mulan, I wait to hear which parts she chose (and the dress :laugh: ) before expressing an opionion

Sam-Skwantch

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Megapolis is simply SUPERB!! :love: I'm super excited about it, she could produce something phenomenal... As for Mulan, I wait to hear which parts she chose (and the dress :laugh: ) before expressing an opionion

That's where I am at. It's kind of weird that she chose a Disney movie. I don't think anyone saw that coming. Maybe that's a good move on her part....maybe not. Kind of bummed its not Star Wars TBH. I've been imagining her doing spins with pretend lightsabers in her hands :slink:

hanca

Record Breaker
That's where I am at. It's kind of weird that she chose a Disney movie. I don't think anyone saw that coming. Maybe that's a good move on her part....maybe not. Kind of bummed its not Star Wars TBH. I've been imagining her doing spins with pretend lightsabers in her hands :slink:

There was video on youtube of Mao Asada with the lightsabres doing that!

loiza

On the Ice

I am very excited about Megapolis is so beautiful:love: and very curious about Mulan.:think:

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker

Just so you know, Star Wars is really a rip off old Chinese Wuxia Genre except set in space instead of Medieval China. Even the medichlorians aka the force is just another word for 'Chi' which provide the basis for everything WuXia (2 words translate as Martial arts avenger) like it does for Jedis in stories rife with clansmanship/honour/politics/journey of a hero vs evil parables. Mulan doesn't exactly belong to the WuXia genre (nor a Disney movie originally), but she does use a sword/sabre being a member of the Chinese militia so I wouldn't count out a few mime sword/lightsabre fight out yet. Very curious on the costume myself, nothing pink or girly. Yulia being bit of a Tom boy in real life, who ride horses, like techno music, should make a very intriguing Mulan for sure! Will there be 2 sides of Mulan, warrior princess or just generic girly Mulan skating to pretty music?

gravy

¿No ven quién soy yo?
Record Breaker
Didn't realize people would take my joke about wanting Lip to skate to 'I'll Make a Man Out of You' seriously.

I mean it's a fun song, but it's very kitsch for a competitive program. Any who, didn't Lip skate to 'Kung Fu Panda' one year?

Also, I seem to recall that in an interview, Yulia said that vocals have no place in competitive programs, so I doubt she would ever skate with them.

Sam-Skwantch

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
maybe this is not her program for competitions, in an article she said than she wants play to be the phantom and not Christine, and in this program, she obviously is Christine.... :think:

Good eye :thumbsup: