Aaron and Settlage make the jump to Seniors | Golden Skate

Aaron and Settlage make the jump to Seniors

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
USA’s Madeline Aaron and Max Settlage have had little time for pause since the 2014 World Junior Figure Skating Championships, where they placed a respectable fifth in their first time at the event. The skaters took a week off in Arizona immediately after, but have been training ever since. More...

Last edited:

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Nice article Paula! It's always great to read something about teams just moving to seniors.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Many thanks for showcasing Aaron/Settlage with such a lengthy article, gsk8. I hope that they have a great season. Look forward esp. to The King and I.

And Happy Birthday to Max S. :hb:
@MaddieAaron25
Happy Birthday to my amazing partner, @Max_Settlage !! Hope you have a great day!!! 🎂🍰😄
7:19 AM - 1 Jul 2014
https://twitter.com/MaddieAaron25/status/483978100649500672

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Many thanks for showcasing Aaron/Settlage with such a lengthy article, gsk8. I hope that they have a great season. Look forward esp. to The King and I.

And Happy Birthday to Max S. :hb:
@MaddieAaron25
Happy Birthday to my amazing partner, @Max_Settlage !! Hope you have a great day!!! 🎂🍰😄
7:19 AM - 1 Jul 2014
https://twitter.com/MaddieAaron25/status/483978100649500672

Happy birthday to Max S! You know, if any TPTB is listening, that Skate America TBD might make for a lovely birthday present. And you don't even need wrapping paper!

Last edited by a moderator:

MFarone

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Thanks for the article! I enjoyed reading about them and wish them the best for the coming season.

noskates

Record Breaker
When I saw them at Nationals this year I thought they were a very interesting pair. Wouldn't it be loverly if they stayed together long enough to make a difference in US Pairs!

ice coverage

Record Breaker

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Today Nebelhorn was added to Aaron/Settlage's international plate ... joining SLC and Skate Canada. :yay: (Thx to sk8ingcoach for posting the assignments in the Nebelhorn thread.)

ETA, serendipitous that Max Aaron will be a teammate for their first senior international as well as their first senior GP. :)

BTW, regarding Settlage's artwork: USFS also tweeted the above-mentioned illustration of Maddie and himself. :)

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Cross-posting from the Colorado Champs thread:

Wow ... Aaron/Settlage WON :)yay:) the Colorado Championships, according to Sarah Brannen's comments in today's IN article. Congratulations to Maddie and Max!

Madeline Aaron and Max Settlage started the season with a bang, winning the Colorado Championships by 20 points. This elegant young team has already been together for four years, and they are just what the U.S. pairs program needs.

[Scimeca/Knierim also competed -- as did Budd/Blackmer.]

flutzy13

On the Ice
Cross-posting from the Colorado Champs thread:

Wow ... Aaron/Settlage WON :)yay:) the Colorado Championships, according to Sarah Brannen's comments in today's IN article. Congratulations to Maddie and Max!

Madeline Aaron and Max Settlage started the season with a bang, winning the Colorado Championships by 20 points. This elegant young team has already been together for four years, and they are just what the U.S. pairs program needs.

[Scimeca/Knierim also competed -- as well as (AFAIK) Budd/Blackmer.]

I can't imagine A/S beat alexa and chris. Did they only do one segment?

ice coverage

Record Breaker

Scimeca/Knierim competed in both the SP and FS. :yes:

All three pairs skated both programs. (I am about to edit my post above accordingly.)

Sylvia

Record Breaker
I don't see the "by 20 points" in the article - it must have been an error and removed.

ETA that the official results have been published for the Colorado Championships that took place in early August - I've posted the link in the thread for the competition.

The combined (SP+FS) scores for the 3 Senior pairs at the Colorado Championships club competition are:
Alexa Scimeca/Chris Knierim 160.98 (58.23 SP, 102.75 FS)
Madeline Aaron/Max Settlage 156.85 (50.43 SP, 106.42 FS)
Kaitlin Budd/Matthew Blackmer (new) 125.22 (43.43 SP, 81.79 FS)

ice coverage

Record Breaker

Thx to Sylvia for noticing that the IN article was revised after I posted the quote above. (And for posting the CC results links in the competition thread.)

The revised comments from Sarah Brannen:

Madeline Aaron and Max Settlage started the season well, winning the free skate at the Colorado Championships. This elegant, young team has already been together for four years, and they are just what the U.S. pairs program needs.

In any case, they still are Brannen's choice as "breakout" stars among U.S. pairs.

And they still have my congratulations for winning the FS :) -- by 3.67 over S/K.

flutzy13

On the Ice
I don't see the "by 20 points" in the article - it must have been an error and removed.

ETA that the official results have been published for the Colorado Championships that took place in early August - I've posted the link in the thread for the competition.

The combined (SP+FS) scores for the 3 Senior pairs at the Colorado Championships club competition are:
Alexa Scimeca/Chris Knierim 160.98 (58.23 SP, 102.75 FS)
Madeline Aaron/Max Settlage 156.85 (50.43 SP, 106.42 FS)
Kaitlin Budd/Matthew Blackmer (new) 125.22 (43.43 SP, 81.79 FS)

WOW even if they didn't beat them outright, pretty amazing that A/S edged S/K in the FS. Of course summer comps aren't incredibly telling but that sounds like a strong start for A/S and a sluggish one for S/K. Considering people have been anointing them the savior of US pairs, this makes things a whole lot more interesting.

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
6th @ Nebelhorn, 3rd @ USFS Classic, and 5th at SA - not a bad start to their first senior season!

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I am excited about this team's prospects.

She is very elegant, and not using Gumby definition of the word, wherein contortion = elegance. They seem reasonably sound with their elements.

He needs to get stronger. The lifts and the split-twist did not appear light and easy. But the beginnings of an excellent pairing are showing.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Good photo showing Maddie and Max's strong connection :) -- from their FS at Skate America.

Maddie and Max's post-SP Truth Booth video at Skate America:
http://web.icenetwork.com/video/topic/99569318/v36868591 (0:56 -- viewable without a paid subscription to IN)​

Their SP video is one of IN's Skate America highlights :):

(All the other IN highlights are from Skate America medalists, except for Abbott's SP.)​

Best to Maddie and Max at Skate Canada International. :yay: