Radionova ready to take on senior skating world | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Radionova ready to take on senior skating world

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker
I'm with the positive posters :thumbsup:

LOL... Elena gave me so many smiles last season. I have showed her zombie performance to Figure Skating no no people and all were captured :laugh:

anyanka

Record Breaker
I BELIEVE. I'm a convert. Technically she was always spot-on last season but I simply could not get beyond the whole tiaras-and-toddlers look she wore in her FS to appreciate her skating (it was distracting). But this season she is packaged FAR better and she's clearly enjoying herself. Go Lena!!

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
She's one hell of a performer and I really respect how she sells her programs. I... admit I didn't enjoy either of her programs this year (SP = chaotic, LP = cannot live up to that iconic music), but if she keeps thundering around the rink with two 3-3 combinations, I can look past the music choices. :)

KKonas

Medalist
I guess I have seen too many "jumping beans" from girls who have yet to go thru puberty. I don't find any particular artistry here as she seems to "rush" thru everything regardless of what music is playing, and yes, children are often fearless - give her a few more years.

Alba

Record Breaker
She's one hell of a performer and I really respect how she sells her programs. I... admit I didn't enjoy either of her programs this year (SP = chaotic, LP = cannot live up to that iconic music), but if she keeps thundering around the rink with two 3-3 combinations, I can look past the music choices. :)

That's exactly how I feel. I don't like the music of her SP at all - I was hoping in a real flamenco not JL - and I don't like her posture either.
But even with a not very good skate I just couldn't take my eyes off her.
She attacks everything and perform no matter what. Fire and sparkle. That's what I love about her.

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
Elena is a tremendous exciting talent, look forward to see how she progresses. Although it must be said I do wish her team can be a bit more selective with her programs. Schindler's list works for Julia because 1) Age Appropriate. 2) Compensate emotional quotient. 3) Complement introspective skating Julia does. 4) The program subject sells itself with a ready built audience/emotion investment, very commercial. 5) Less effort needed on presentation and just need to focus on the skating.

Elena's packages are all over the place, energy wasted on B rated programs that felt rushed/thoughtlessly put together. Even though her tech and natural talent is strong today, she need to think long term. More disciplined approach can help to develop her own artistry instead of through forced mismash packaging. She need to leave some room for refining her skills in prep of her body changes. The sport favour the young, and federations can be fickle minded with who they favours year by year, particularly Russia is full of young wannabes and many have the potential for it.

yyyskate

Record Breaker
Radionova report: jumps condition not as good as last time SA, but still does X+3t+3t+3t like nothing. I will not worry about her jumps even if she has a bad practice day. This girl is also a little diva already. confident introduce herself in English. and when give interview so talkative. :laugh:
working the hardest, almost always the last one to leave the ice, and non-stop skating.
Her programs this year however is not as stunning and suited for her as last year. Last year, her first SA debut was just charming. this time not so much. I was expecting something special from Radionova but kinda a little disappointed when watch her live this time.
And I assume they spend more time on making her EX costume than actually choreo that program.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I was a bit disappointed with her programs. She rushed through them at top speed so I didn't really see her musicality, and her hunched shoulders were a distraction. The girl has such a short neck to begin with, so when she hunches her shoulders, her neck disappears completely and what you see is her head atop her torso. The bedazzled FS costume top didn't help that look much either. The SP costume with the bare shoulders was much much better. For Elena, less is definitely better when it comes to costuming.

mrrice

Record Breaker
" Honestly, I didn’t expect that from Adelina"

Haha neither did the rest of us

Um, I did. With her fire and technical ability I thought to myself. If there's going to be a Sarah Hughes moment { Meaning, she's a great skater but I never thought she'd win the whole thing } at these Olympics, I bet it's going to be from Sotnikova.

anyanka

Record Breaker
Um, I did. With her fire and technical ability I thought to myself. If there's going to be a Sarah Hughes moment { Meaning, she's a great skater but I never thought she'd win the whole thing } at these Olympics, I bet it's going to be from Sotnikova.

I hope you bet money on that. You would have made a small fortune. ;)

mrrice

Record Breaker
I hope you bet money on that. You would have made a small fortune. ;)

Not a dime. However, I think her performance along with Lipnikskia's team performance were all the payment I needed. Truly epic !!

RobinA

On the Ice
I guess I have seen too many "jumping beans" from girls who have yet to go thru puberty. I don't find any particular artistry here as she seems to "rush" thru everything regardless of what music is playing, and yes, children are often fearless - give her a few more years.

My thoughts exactly. Talk to me about any female skater post-puberty. Before that, yada yada, I've heard it a million times.

shine

Record Breaker
Radionova report: jumps condition not as good as last time SA, but still does X+3t+3t+3t like nothing. I will not worry about her jumps even if she has a bad practice day. This girl is also a little diva already. confident introduce herself in English. and when give interview so talkative. :laugh:
working the hardest, almost always the last one to leave the ice, and non-stop skating.
Her programs this year however is not as stunning and suited for her as last year. Last year, her first SA debut was just charming. this time not so much. I was expecting something special from Radionova but kinda a little disappointed when watch her live this time.
And I assume they spend more time on making her EX costume than actually choreo that program.
I agree. Last year's LP was so much more musical and had so much unique interpretation that was done specifically to the music. This year the LP choreography is so generic compared to last year, and the SP is not good IMO. Still love her personality, but the lack of well thought-out choreography coupled with her growing pain (her limbs are looking too long for her body now) makes me think her presentation has regressed a bit. Same with the exhibition - it was AMAZING last year, and this year was kind of a let down :( Her posture is also starting to bother me more than ever, perhaps because her limbs are so long. In the past, even though her shoulders have always been high, she looked like she still had pretty good control of her limbs and made the lack of good posture less distracting. But she has now lost that control. Maybe I'm expecting too much from her and therefore may be a bit too harsh, but I'm such a fan of hers and think she has so much artistic potential and could do much better. I hope everything will get better as she grows into her body more. And I hope she'll work with better choreographers in the future. Ilia did such a good job with the LP last year - what happened to this year's SP which he also choreographed??

hippomoomin

Record Breaker
I think Elena has grown taller quite a bit this year, which somehow makes her landing a little sketchy. IMO, she needs more upper body strength. I don't really see her body getting much heavier than she currently is, most likely the Mao's type of body change, subtle and gradual. I am also disappointed at her programs this year, especially her sp.
Still I think she has the potential to bypass Yulia this year, especially a Yulia without Schindler's List. Without that kind of packing, Yulia's lack of musicality and emotion will be more obvious.

swc0931

Rinkside
IMO, compare to Adelina and Julia, she has a better jumping technique, but compare to Pogo and Liza, she landing are not flawless..
For me, I think she is in rushed when she is about to jumps. Also she should change her music for SP..It was really terrible.