Tuktamisheva aims to return to previous form | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Tuktamisheva aims to return to previous form

surimi

Onward and forward, Sota!
Record Breaker
I couldn't care less what Liza's (or anyone else's) body type or weight is. If she chooses a program that suits her, and performs it clean and with impeccable timing, I'll be perfectly happy. A smartly chosen costume doesn't hurt of course. :) I like seeing all body types of skaters in the field, from skinny to well-muscled; if someone has a bit of fat on their body (which I doubt, given the amount of exercise these people go through daily), I am content too.
I am curious what Liza's other program will be. I must agree we've seen enough of Latin music from her- I hope it's something different this time.

/edit - the first sentence isn't aimed at you, meoima. I've just noticed how the sequence of your post and mine might look, so I'm clearing this up just in case. ;) /

zamboni step

Final Flight
I don't think it's possible to count out someone with such incredibly good jumping technique, her FS at Euros wasn't perfect but she still broke 130 before all this inflation started, skating clean now after establishing some reputation and with a biellmann she could top that and make the team. She'll have to work very hard though, even with the best 3Lz going after the retirements.

It seems Liza has lost some weight, there are some new photos of her on facebook (at the training camp, I suppose) https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10203326981288956&id=1643330029

Not a fan of the black dress, hoping it's just for practice. But wow, she looks great there and I don't think she ever had a weight problem. She's definitely lost some weight but thankfully it appears to be in a healthy manner, not the over-zealous (to put it mildly) "One meal a day" way. Good for Liza! :biggrin:

FSGMT

Record Breaker
I do think her ship has sailed somewhat but if Liza can get her jumps back, she can stay in the mix. When she hits, her jumps are beautiful. Like Alba said we discussed a little while ago, Liza is still capable of hitting all of her jumps. It's not like she's URing everything or something like that...she's just not landing the jumps. Whatever mental block she has is holding her back.

As great as her jumps are, alone they won't be enough to move up in the Russian ranks. I think if Liza comes on strong this season she will be even with Anna. Then again, if Anna has made some improvements over the summer she may stay ahead of Liza. I think Liza is a very vibrant performer and I hope whatever programs she chooses this year will be very different from the last three years. Hopefully no more black dresses either.

I wish her all of the best, but she does have her work cut out for her.
Completely agree! When she lands them, her jumps are beautiful, so her problem is not physical (while for example when you take other skaters, they have periods when they aren't able to land their jumps with the quality they used to); what she needs is the ability to pull things together and produce decent performances under pressure

bartlebooth

Record Breaker
I couldn't care less what Liza's (or anyone else's) body type or weight is. If she chooses a program that suits her, and performs it clean and with impeccable timing, I'll be perfectly happy. A smartly chosen costume doesn't hurt of course. :) I like seeing all body types of skaters in the field, from skinny to well-muscled; if someone has a bit of fat on their body (which I doubt, given the amount of exercise these people go through daily), I am content too.
I am curious what Liza's other program will be. I must agree we've seen enough of Latin music from her- I hope it's something different this time.

:clap: :clap: :clap:

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
sky_fly to enter this thread and tell us all it's because she's too fat in 3...2...1...

And....

Liza started to really struggle since she gained weight, when I saw her mother's pics I knew she would become broad and stocky, I guess its not her fault for her body type / genetics. Mihsin has also mentioned about Liza has bad eating habits like eating ice cream

she needs to lose weight, even If that means taking powder for meals like Julia, I am surprised Mishin is not controlling what she eats

she needs to lose 10 pounds or more, her jumps will get stable as she loses weight

"Stocky"?! 10 pounds lost on a 5'2" frame? :rolleye: A powder diet? Good lord, just stop. You have no idea what you're talking about.

I agree with Sam... there are a lot of young skaters who read or hear these types of asinine comments, and it reflect poorly on their confidence, self-esteem and in turn their health. You should be ashamed for perpetuating this type of crap, sky_fly. In general, people who have their own body image issues project their own hangups onto celebrities/athletes/etc.

If Liza really wants to develop confidence, it's not about losing a few pounds or eating right. It's also about embracing her body as one that isn't that of a tiny little girl, and translating that into more mature expression, and using her body to generate power which she otherwise wouldn't be able to do if she were a stick.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
unless you are liza's nutritionist/personal trainer or liza herself, i don't think anyone should speculate on diet or how much weight she (or any other skater) should or should not gain. i realize she is an athlete, but even so, her body is not up for the public's discussion. it is inappropriate and at times, downright cruel. as some others have pointed out, skaters at all levels of competition come in different sizes and shapes. and i'm very sure liza and many other impressionable female skaters who compete at these levels are well-aware of the difficulty of having to make these physical and emotional adjustments while trying to land triple jumps.

Bingo. :clap:

Components

Match Penalty
And yes, Liza's greatest issue isn't her weight... it's that she's in an insanely deep Russian field.

This is the biggest issue all of these ladies have. There are so many good Russians that you can get passed up on any day. Luckily she is still young so she still will have another chance to make an Olympics if she can keep her jumps, which is more than possible.

BusyMom

Medalist
Completely agree! When she lands them, her jumps are beautiful, so her problem is not physical (while for example when you take other skaters, they have periods when they aren't able to land their jumps with the quality they used to); what she needs is the ability to pull things together and produce decent performances under pressure
:thumbsup: Mental block might not be the real reason for her bad performance also. She didn't seem to have dear in the headlights expressions before her jumps just blank stares. I think she need to get back her love of skating which we saw during her pre-puberty years.

I went back to watch her 2011 GPF in Canada. 14-years old Liza was such a joy to watch. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZSNl8j6J7xI (It was sad to hear about Mao's mother all over again. This was the event she had to WD and went back to Japan. Her mom past away during the event. Dark time for Mao's fans. :cry:)

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
The thing is she has to strive to be far better than her "previous form". Even her best possible skating would not have gotten her on the Olympic team the way Julia and Adelina skated at Nationals and throughout the season. Now we have more people moving up and the field of up and comers is so strong most don't see Sotnikova even on the 2018 team, and many don't think Julia will make it either (granted there is no saying both would even try for it). So where does that leave Tuktamysheva who is roughly the same age and has seen both of those fly past her. Unless she improves every aspect of her skating, even her famed jumps, but every non jump aspect an even larger amount, she is pretty much done as far as making any major teams for Russia. And the only way that will happen is to leave Mishin ASAP, she has no future if she stays with him.

Totentanz

Ursula Gumennik
Medalist
I also don't think that her regress was caused by weight. Maybe to some degree, but we have also seen that she landed jumps with her current body. So it was more of a psychological war she was experiencing. And I believe that she can overcome this thing soon or late in the future. She is just 17 and she can keep trying as long as she wants to do. There are lots of examples who reached their peak in late 20s. Good luck Elizaveta Tuktamysheva!

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
She does have to get her nerves, especialy in the short program under control. However even doing that she will only place 3rd-6th amongst current Russian women without a significant upgrade in some aspect of her current skating. Right now she wont ever beat a clean Lipnitskaya or clean Sotnikova, no matter what she does.

Totentanz

Ursula Gumennik
Medalist
She does have to get her nerves, especialy in the short program under control. However even doing that she will only place 3rd-6th amongst current Russian women without a significant upgrade in some aspect of her current skating. Right now she wont ever beat a clean Lipnitskaya or clean Sotnikova, no matter what she does.

Never say never. We don't know who will skate clean, who will not. Let's say if Tuktamysheva returns to previous form, this will raise the tension for others.

Btw I don't prefer any of Russian ladies over another one. They can be all amazing when they are on fire.

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
Great interview! I hope Liza returns with a vengeance just to stick it to everyone who's writing her off. ;) I'm looking forward to seeing her next season. I think Liza has the exotic looks to pull off an Indian program.

Talking about "She'll never make it to 2018!" is too soon. Just because Olympic gold has likely "passed her" doesn't mean she should just retire. There's so much else a talented young skater can accomplish. She's only seventeen.

What I hope for Liza next season isn't to suddenly win Europeans or get on the Worlds podium. I just hope she can skate cleanly to rebuild the reputation with the judges (and Russian Fed) that she has lost. And let's face it, talented as all the Russians are, no one has proven themselves to be totally reliable (Yulia included). We'll have to wait and see what happens on a given day.

Components

Match Penalty
The thing is she has to strive to be far better than her "previous form". Even her best possible skating would not have gotten her on the Olympic team the way Julia and Adelina skated at Nationals and throughout the season. Now we have more people moving up and the field of up and comers is so strong most don't see Sotnikova even on the 2018 team, and many don't think Julia will make it either (granted there is no saying both would even try for it). So where does that leave Tuktamysheva who is roughly the same age and has seen both of those fly past her. Unless she improves every aspect of her skating, even her famed jumps, but every non jump aspect an even larger amount, she is pretty much done as far as making any major teams for Russia. And the only way that will happen is to leave Mishin ASAP, she has no future if she stays with him.

I'm not even sure Adelina sees herself on the 2018 team. Yuna Kim had a lot of issues with motivation following her win at the Olympics and Tara Lipinski has even remarked not having the same will or drive to compete/win after the Olympics. It comes as no surprise that so many skaters have retired soon after winning the Olympics. It's very hard to have the same mindset (and hunger) you had in an Olympic year four years later after you've won the Olympics. Maybe Witt did, but Witt is a psychological anamoly compared to most other skaters and she didn't have to meet the types of technical benchmark expected/required of skaters these days. At this point, she should be skating for herself, and indeed if it were not for this chance in mindset Yuna Kim probably would have burnt out before she got to Sochi.

If Tuktamysheva improves her spins (her spins are decently centered and have decent speed, it's mostly the positions that need work) and in-between skating even marginally I don't see her losing to Lipnitskaya if both of them skate cleanly, because she should be pooping all over Lipnitskaya in Gump GOE and it's not like Lipnitskaya will be outPCSing her by 15 points. Tuktamysheva is not devoid of reputation and even given her current Spin Quality and Skating Skills she was still able to score over 130. Any improvements would inch her towards the 140 mark in realistic scoring potential for a clean FS, which is medal-threat-competitive on the World Stage.

In the competition where she got injured months ago, she was lighting it up before the ankle incident, which goes to show just how much talent and potential this skater has. She just needs to get over the hurdles, get her jumps back (which she apparently has save for the 3/3's) and improve the areas that she needs to improve on (Spins and Skating Skills/Transitions). Also, better programs won't hurt, but I actually think she should go for the style that suits her. She's the one who has to perform, we're just spectators.

She looks GOOD in that picture, wow.

Video Reference: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MgqdNt4SXS4

Components

Match Penalty
Great interview! I hope Liza returns with a vengeance just to stick it to everyone who's writing her off. ;) I'm looking forward to seeing her next season. I think Liza has the exotic looks to pull off an Indian program.

Talking about "She'll never make it to 2018!" is too soon. Just because Olympic gold has likely "passed her" doesn't mean she should just retire. There's so much else a talented young skater can accomplish. She's only seventeen.

What I hope for Liza next season isn't to suddenly win Europeans or get on the Worlds podium. I just hope she can skate cleanly to rebuild the reputation with the judges (and Russian Fed) that she has lost. And let's face it, talented as all the Russians are, no one has proven themselves to be totally reliable (Yulia included). We'll have to wait and see what happens on a given day.

As far as results and performance history are concerned, Julia is reliable. Considering the amount of clean programs she has skated, I don't think anyone can deny her that.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
Julia gets very high jump GOE from the judges (not really deserved, but she gets it anyway), and she scores far higher than Elizaveta in spins and non jump elements. Her PCS are also much higher. Unless Elizaveta significantly improves her spins and PCS she has no hope vs a clean Julia. And Julia pretty much always skates clean or close to it.

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
The biggest 3Lz-3T now that Yuna's gone. :clap: Slightly unsteady landing (second jump was running dangerously close to the boards), but she was doing quite well up until the accident. 2A flew across the ice.

As far as results and performance history are concerned, Julia is reliable.
Notice I said "totally reliable." Yulia is the most consistent skater competing next season, and compared to the rest of the field, she absolutely is reliable. But she's still at the beginning of her career, and she's had her moments of unreliability. I hope she continues putting out a plethora of clean skates in the future though. ;)

Julia gets very high jump GOE from the judges (not really deserved, but she gets it anyway), and she scores far higher than Elizaveta in spins and non jump elements. Her PCS are also much higher.
Just because that's the current state of affairs doesn't mean it'll be the state of affairs forever. Nobody's writing off Anna because her spins aren't the strongest, her PCS aren't there, and she isn't consistent. No reason to write off Liza either. Only difference--Anna came off one good Worlds and Liza's coming off one terrible injury.

anyanka

Record Breaker
unless you are liza's nutritionist/personal trainer or liza herself, i don't think anyone should speculate on diet or how much weight she (or any other skater) should or should not gain. i realize she is an athlete, but even so, her body is not up for the public's discussion. it is inappropriate and at times, downright cruel. as some others have pointed out, skaters at all levels of competition come in different sizes and shapes. and i'm very sure liza and many other impressionable female skaters who compete at these levels are well-aware of the difficulty of having to make these physical and emotional adjustments while trying to land triple jumps.

Thank you!!

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I think Liza is extremely beautiful, and one of the most beautiful ladies in figure skating. Dare I say it, she has a very Hollywood diva look to her. ;)