The best strategy for your favorite skater | Page 2 | Golden Skate

The best strategy for your favorite skater

Meoima

Match Penalty
Wow. I would assume someone who could jump like that would have their federation all up in arms to have him compete.
Good jumping ability doesn't always go with the ability to pull it through the performance you know. Some athletes have more talents than the top skaters we've always known but the different is they can't compete. Like they can do very well in practice but couldn't in competition. Not to mention we only see the guy's jumps, not a whole performance with spins, steps and jumps... Can a strong jumper pull other elements as well to make a whole performance, it's is hard to tell.

Anyways I agree with you, we are talking like we know the best but skaters and their coaches have been working for months to plan their layouts, they have reasons for sure and if skaters are not comfortable with that intended layout, they wouldn't agree to follow the plan in the first place.

When some people criticize skaters for watering down their program, I think it's not rightful since the skaters know that problem themselves better than outsiders. It might be that they couldn't do more or they think it will harm their body if they do more.

supsu

On the Ice
Okey, how about other skaters?

Patrick Chan, if he was to return. Has he ever seriously practiced other quads except the toe loop? Cause even though he shines in SS he really needs more TES points. Maybe. At least if other men don't bomb. And because his axel is wonky i kinda think that maybe it would be easier for him to get 4s? Or maybe not anymore from scratch at his age, but if he's practiced it in training before but just didn't feel the need to bring it to programs or competitions.. Well anyways, no matter what his jumps were i wish he comes back..

Gracie Gold. She's not by any means among my favorite skaters because of lack of emotion coming from her, but let's talk about her still. Probably they'll keep packaging her better next seasons and she finds her inner artist (hopefully) but should be up the points still in jumps. Cause apparently she can jump all sorts of combos in training. She has 3lz-3t right? But she didn't have the half-loop-combo or did she? If not, then maybe that is a good idea for her..? Also, i doubt that Frank would consider 3axel for her.. what do u think? Isn't he more into a full package than big tricks? But then again, her axel was kinda wonky at world's. So, is she changing her technique for a triple or was it just wonky for other reasons...? Her spins are great and can't see how she could collect more points from those..

supsu

On the Ice
Sorry OP for digressing so much but I don't know how well I could strategize for my faves when they already devote months to churning out a strategy f'real, haha. I

Maybe as fans we are wiser than some 3rd-class hardly experienced coaches such as Mr Orser or Carroll.....! :bang:
:rock::party2::rofl::hb:

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
When some people criticize skaters for watering down their program, I think it's not rightful since the skaters know that problem themselves better than outsiders. It night be that they couldn't do more or they think it will harm their body if they do more.

Right, that's part of strategy too is knowing how to maximize your abilities without overdoing it. :)

As for Gracie Gold, she attempted the 3F-1L-3S at the start of the 2012-2013 program but then dropped it by nationals. I'd like to see this combo return!

caelum

On the Ice
4lo
4s
4t
---
4t-3a
3a-3t
3lz-1lo-3s
3lz
3f

I highly doubt he'll be able to pull off that layout. Yuzuru barely slogs through his previously demanding long program - let alone a vastly more exhausting one. I guarantee after 3 quads and and a 4T-3A or 3A-4T, he'll just keel over on the ice. I just want to see Yuzuru do an elegant and effortless LP. He's got an Oly, World, and GPF - surely he can layoff the crazy BV routines for one season and just perform something beautiful - he'd probably still win anyway. I would like to see Yuzuru do a 4T + 3A sequence though, since he does them beautifully.

I don't really have a favorite skater - my favorites mostly retired and I have yet to find anyone I strongly favor. The only thing off the top of my head is I'd like to see Lipnitskaya do a spiral, perhaps even a Charlotte, for an extended period of time. I know it's hard to fit these into programs without the spiral requirement now, but I'd like to see it worked out somehow. I think if she managed somehow to integrate a solid spiral sequence, timed and matched with the musical structure and nuances, I think her PCS would be given some favors

jimeonji

Final Flight
Patrick Chan, if he was to return. Has he ever seriously practiced other quads except the toe loop? Cause even though he shines in SS he really needs more TES points. Maybe. At least if other men don't bomb. And because his axel is wonky i kinda think that maybe it would be easier for him to get 4s? Or maybe not anymore from scratch at his age, but if he's practiced it in training before but just didn't feel the need to bring it to programs or competitions.. Well anyways, no matter what his jumps were i wish he comes back..
I watched this interview he did back in 2011 that said he landed 4S in practice, so he definitely can do it - but in practice and in competition are completely different worlds. He and his coach may have never decided to put it in competition because the risk wasn't worth it, and well, he didn't need to, at that point. Worlds in 2012 and 2013 showed that even with technical mistakes he would still be able to win with his PCS cushion. It was only this past season that having just the quad toe wasn't enough for him to win anymore, as doing the quad sal went on an upward trend. And if he comes back, him having only the toe and an unstable 3a will make it difficult for him to get on top again.

DianaSelene

Medalist
Yeah. There's no reason to use that combo to max a skater's TES rn. Maybe in another decade when every man is using bionic knees and consistently doing five different quads (idk the actual math).

Ah this is what I was thinking of earlier! Who IS he?

I think that is Moris Kvitelashvili, one of Tutberidze's students. He can do quads but is not very consistent.

4lo
4s
4t
---
4t-3a
3a-3t
3lz-1lo-3s
3lz
3f

I'm not daydreaming, right? :love::rofl::party:

That's a tad ambitious, but it's on the right track! :yes: I agree with HanDomi that if he is really going to try a 4Lo he could scale back to just two quads (4Lo and 4T) this season.

He should also do 3A+3A+3A (seq, Zayak). He will lose a lot of CoP points, but it would be worth it to intimidate the opposition. :)

LuisRollerArg

On the Ice
Takahito Mura also tried 4T-4T in practice!! I don't know where is the video (in any little video of japanese TV I remember) :p , but I saw it!

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
4Flip
4Sal
3Axel+3Loop
4Toe+3Toe
-----
3Flip+1Loop+3Sal
4Toe
3Axel
3Lutz

The dream.

lady_bee

Medalist
I only wish Yuzuru will slow down all his quads, I am very worried about his health. :slink:
He is already an OGM, world champion... I think it's enough for him to slow down a bit. :cry: I don't want those medals push him too far.

Anyways, I have no particular idea about the jump layout, I think the layout should be reasonable and practical for skater to execute. I hope Yulia will not try the quad until she's 17. I hope Yuzuru will keep his layout for LP as last year since there is little hope that he will water it down, so don't jam-pack it anymore.

I completely agree with you about Yuzuru.

He is still 19 and hasn't got enough muscles nor stamina.

I think at this stage, he should focus on balletic lessons,
which could not only improve his artistry but also help him to built injury-free body.

FSGMT

Record Breaker
For Jason Brown, it would be super awesome to see this layout later in the season:

3z (tano)-2t
4t
3a
--
3lo
3a-1l-3s
3f-3t
3z (tano)
2a

Or if doesn't want to do a second triple axel, this layout would allow him to repeat his strong toe jumps (flip and lutz)

3z (tano)-2t
4t
3a
--
3lo
3f-1l-3s
3f-3t
3z (tano)
2a
I think the first layout would be the best but with a couple of changes:
3Lz (tano)
4T
3A+3T
-
3A
3F+1Lo+3S
3Lo
3Lz+2T
2A
This would allow him to earn a lot of GOE points in the first lutz and have the biggest jumps as early as it's possible without losing a lot of BV points

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Hmm. The best strategy for my favourites.

Max:

To give his all, to enjoy his skating, to take things at full speed and maximum attack the way he does best. Give all, fear nothing.

Jason:

To put his whole heart in his performance as he always does, to forget the problems with the axel and just attack it! To always smile and enjoy his skating.

Joshua:

To believe in himself and his ability. To lose himself in the music and skate with all the passion I know he can and bring that audience to tears. To trust his impeccable technique and land the jumps.

babyskate

On the Ice
Kori seems the type to not over-do it. Jason has avoided major injuries up to now, so I think that would continue. Also Kori is about preserving integrity of a program, so she's not going to let him do it if it takes away from the choreography/overall program -- which is what he is known for and shines in anyway.

I agree completely. His long term goal is 2018 so this can certainly be a year for perfecting everything else, and not rushing to put the quad in his program. His fans and future fans will love him without the quad and the judges reward him for what he does so well.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
My strategy for my fave? It's an ingenious custom winning formula guaranteed for phenomenal success. :yes: What? Public revelation of such a precious secret in a forum? Seriously?! :rofl: