Tarosava and Sasha | Golden Skate

Tarosava and Sasha

f_skater89

Spectator
why did Tarosava stop coaching Sasha? whats the real story behind that?? im some what confused..:confused:

heyang

Record Breaker
Only Tarasova and Sasha know the truth and it's probably somewhere in the middle given their different perspectives.

jesslily

Final Flight
I think that they had difference on what and how many competitions they should go. Sasha planned more than she could really handle, and TT only wanted her to go to a few which mattered. Too many competitions worn out Sasha and she did couple of them poorly but she felt that TT did not train her well.
Now Sasha realized that she overloaded her early season.

Seonaid920

On the Ice
I think TT is used to controlling her skaters. Usually they live with her in her house and she can keep an eye on what they eat and where they go etcetera. She seems very over-bearing and smothering and it probably didn't fit well with Sasha who is probably used to more freedom. I'd say it was probably a clash of personalities like somebody else said. I think Robin will know her place a bit more, she is working for Sasha, not the other way around.

soogar

Record Breaker
I think all coaches control their students to a point. Yes, the coach is working for Sasha, but much like a teacher in school, Sasha the student has to defer to her teacher. Sasha is paying a lot of money to have her coach's judgment , and with her involvement in the sport, the coach would have a lot of control over other aspects of her life as well. I don't think that Robin Wagner would be less involved with Sasha's personal life, esp since Sasha is living with Robin.

jesslily

Final Flight
I agree with what Soogar described about the coach-skater relationship in reality. Especialy in lower and local level skating, even you pay the coach and sounds like you hire the coach, but in most situation the coach makes the final decision about every thing, and they really enjoy that they have the power to make the final decision.

TT sure has the skaters bording at her house so she can keep an eye about how they eat and sleep. Sasha stayed with Robin abd her husband after switched to her. And I also don't feel Robin is any different than any other coach.

berthes ghost

Final Flight
Well, the skater (or her family) hires the coach, not the other way around.
Actually, in most cases the skater and coach both sigh a contract that spells out the limits of thier agreement.
I saw this documentary that followed 3 skaters, 2 from UK and 1 from Canada. Anyway, at one point the Irish skater was about to go train with a very well known and respected coach, but at the last minute pulled out of the deal. Why? Because the coach insisted in the contract that he have total control. Costumes, music, everything. She was too independant minded and wouldn't sign the contract, so the deal was off.

I don't know if I would call TT "smuthering". One of the common "complaints" is that the skater is paying for TT, but spends most of her trainig time with Maia, Evgeny,etc... TT is faous for coaching by comittee.

Robin, OTOH, is a one woman coaching team. She does the choreo, the coaching, she drives them to and from practice, she has a lot to say about the costume, etc... There is no way I'd be able to even breathe if Robin was my coach. JMHO.

soogar

Record Breaker
I would think that it's almost better to be coached by a team rather than one person and a majority of coaches have assistants. When Bowman trained with Cranston, Toller just focused on choreography while Ellen Burka trained him on elements. In TT's case, not knowing the whole arrangement and what Platov and Usova instructed, it would be advantageous to have Maia work on extension and ballet and Platov work on footwork while TT talks with the judges for the higher scores (this is just a hypothetical situation).

In Robin's case, I hope that she's good at handling all the aspects b/c I really wasn't impressed with Sarah's choreo when they were together.

Lantz

Rinkside
Then Sasha lives with her coach? Is this frequent, that the skater who hires a coach live in her/his house?

RIskatingfan

On the Ice
Lantz said:
Then Sasha lives with her coach? Is this frequent, that the skater who hires a coach live in her/his house?

Why not if you have to move away from your family, for example, and you don't want to spend money by renting a house and being alone all the time there? if they don't mind and they have no problems, I don't see why not.

Tarasova's students who live with her are mostly Russian skaters without enough money to be living somewhere else.

icenut84

Final Flight
berthes ghost said:
Actually, in most cases the skater and coach both sigh a contract that spells out the limits of thier agreement.
I saw this documentary that followed 3 skaters, 2 from UK and 1 from Canada. Anyway, at one point the Irish skater was about to go train with a very well known and respected coach, but at the last minute pulled out of the deal. Why? Because the coach insisted in the contract that he have total control. Costumes, music, everything. She was too independant minded and wouldn't sign the contract, so the deal was off.

I saw that too - it was called Ice Girls. The skater & coach you are referring to are Vicki Hodges (who has won medals a few times at Senior British Nationals, I believe) and I think the coach was Yuri Bureiko (who coaches Jenna McCorkell, national champion - I've met him too, and he was very nice and helpful to me even though he didn't know me). Although Vicki said those things in the documentary about Yuri, I believe she later started being coached by him again (don't know if she still is, but maybe).

Re: Tarasova & Sasha, Tarasova was interviewed by Eurosport at Worlds and she was complimentary to Sasha, saying Sasha was 100% ready for it (Worlds, her shot at the world title) and she didn't mind where the gold went because Shizuka and Sasha were both so ready/talented etc. Before the medal ceremony, there was also a shot of Tarasova backstage congratulating the medallists, including hugging Sasha.

hockeyfan228

Record Breaker
icenut84 said:
The skater & coach you are referring to are Vicki Hodges (who has won medals a few times at Senior British Nationals, I believe) and I think the coach was Yuri Bureiko (who coaches Jenna McCorkell, national champion - I've met him too, and he was very nice and helpful to me even though he didn't know me).
Ironically McCorkell is an Irish girl who did move with her family to train with Bureiko. Bureiko made several courtesy visits to talk to a small British contingent sitting behind me at Euros in Malmo, and my impression of him during several 20-30 minute eavesdropping sessions was that he was intelligent, unfailingly patient and polite -- these people were rather horrid; I don't know how he did it -- and rather humble.