Bobrova & Soloviev- the wild cards of ice dancing this season | Golden Skate

Bobrova & Soloviev- the wild cards of ice dancing this season

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
The biggest question mark going into this season in ice dancing is probably the team of Bobrova & Soloviev. Last year was an interesting season for them to say the least. They did well on the grand prix amidst many thinking their skating and programs were not that strong this season, and they were the biggest wuzgifted team of the early part of the season. Even with that they began to lose regularly to Pechalat & Bourzat, their main rivals for the Sochi bronze. They went into Sochi as firm Russian #1, but found themselves overtaken with a huge bang by their younger teammates who won the bronze while B&S ended up 5th behind P&B again. That team though who looked like the heir apparents for Russian #1 for years to come, are now dunzo, yet have split up to form 2 new teams, and nobody knows how those 2 reincarnations of I&K will pan out, atleast in the short term. Seemingly putting B&S back at #1 for the moment, but that could change, and we will have to see what direction the Russian fed. wants to go in once they see how all 3 teams look to start the season. They then missed worlds with a back injury, the same worlds the now discontinued I&K were supposed to cake walk to gold at but finished 4th after a monstrous OD error.

They are the real wild cards of the whole season. They could conceivably be passed by Chock & Bates, the 2 new Russian teams, and drop to 2nd or 3rd Russians or 5th/6th in the world. Or they could come back with a vengeance and overtake Weaver & Poje and Capellini & Lanotte and become the World Champs. Even their grand prix assignements are very interesting, meeting Chock & Bates in their first outing, Capellini & Lanotte in their 2nd, and a couple up and comers in both. They could conceivably win both events, and be down in 3rd in both.

It will be interesting to see how their fortunes pan out, and how they are scored. Whether they are still a judges pet graced with inflated marks their skating does not merit (like most Russian skaters) or if their skating and programs are actually really strong this year, a big improvement of last year, and merit the high scores they might get. Also whether the Russian fed considers them #1 again thanks to the split of I&K or if they would rather promote one of the new teams above them right away.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
To go from V/M and D/W being champions to B/S becoming World champions would be :eek:

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
To go from V/M and D/W being champions to B/S becoming World champions would be :eek:

Well as much as I like them you could already say the same thing as C/L already having become world champions on the heels of D/W and V/M. Really there are no current teams even close to the level of D/W and V/M, and even moreso that the team with by far the most potential going forward (I/K) are done, probably forever. W/P are the only team I could see down the road reaching close to the level of D/W or V/M, or maybe one of the young Russian teams. In the short term whoever is champion will be a HUGE drop off from V/M and D/W, 2 of the top 5 teams all time.

Anastasi14

On the Ice
A lot will depend on the dances and of course health. BS can't afford another "bird program". They have a chance to show that they are Russian first team. But Carmen and Karenina actually don't sound promising.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
They have good programs next season Carmen(red hair) and Anna Karenina
I think they will be fighting for a podium at Worlds

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
A lot will depend on the dances and of course health. BS can't afford another "bird program". They have a chance to show that they are Russian first team. But Carmen and Karenina actually don't sound promising.

I think this is a make or break it season for them. If they are supplanted (again) as Russian #1 so fast, they probably have no hope of hanging on all the way to 2018 to even make the team then. They will probably just continue to drop both internationally and nationally in that case. However if consolidate themselves again as Russian #1 (atleast for now), and make it back to the podium at worlds, bronze or even better, they have prospects moving forward and can realistically aim for 2018.

I am really looking forward to Skate America. B&S and Chock and Bates both have an opportunity to show that they can't be ignored, while the Shibutanis can make some noise if they finish higher than third.

chameleon

On the Ice
There are a lot of wildcards this season. Not only these two, but also we don't know how I/Z and S/K will perform, Hawayek/Baker are moving up to Seniors this year, and with the two top teams not competing, everyone will be fighting to prove themselves. It's going to be an interesting season.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
There are a lot of wildcards this season. Not only these two, but also we don't know how I/Z and S/K will perform, Hawayek/Baker are moving up to Seniors this year, and with the two top teams not competing, everyone will be fighting to prove themselves. It's going to be an interesting season.

I agree they are many. I think B&S are the biggest one though in that they could be as high as 1st or as low as 5th or 6th. You are right though, there are many unknown factors to the ice dance season and how it will shake out. The rankings within the U.S with D&W out will also be interesting. There are atleast 5 teams really fighting to be on that world team.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker

Well C and L are equally as "bad" or tragic or traumatic imho. C and L should count their lucky stars :) nothing against them but they remind me of those "lucky" teams that snatched bronze and then they sort of disappeared Isareli team and the Lithuainians I believe even the shibutani's. B/S are arguably better than C and L.

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
I think it all depends on their program choices. They have suffered due to choosing bad programs in the past. I think they'll definitely hang on to Russian #1 for at least this year, but after that, I'm not so sure. I'd have to wait to say something about that until after I've seen the two new Russian teams. Unless they really hit it out of the park I think they'll probably take world bronze with C/L and W/P ahead of them, in some order, probably that one. Chock and Bates have been kind of a question mark too so I'm honestly not sure how they'll stack up against them. My guess it's that the Russians will continue to stay a bit ahead of the Americans (Shibs too), but have those teams kind of nipping at their heels, especially C/B.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
I think it all depends on their program choices. They have suffered due to choosing bad programs in the past. I think they'll definitely hang on to Russian #1 for at least this year, but after that, I'm not so sure. I'd have to wait to say something about that until after I've seen the two new Russian teams. Unless they really hit it out of the park I think they'll probably take world bronze with C/L and W/P ahead of them, in some order, probably that one. Chock and Bates have been kind of a question mark too so I'm honestly not sure how they'll stack up against them. My guess it's that the Russians will continue to stay a bit ahead of the Americans (Shibs too), but have those teams kind of nipping at their heels, especially C/B.

I will be surprised if C&L defend their world title. I see them probably on the podium but only with silver or bronze, and if they stay past this year they will probably drop out of the top 3 in favor of some up and coming teams. I think W&P or B&S (probably more likely W&P) will win it this year. Lets just say their surprise world title last year was not the dawning of them as the new dominant team in ice dancing IMO.

Macassar88

Medalist
I hope that Bobrova and Soloviev come back and win a world title. They probably would have at least medalled in Japan.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
B&S's SDs have always been better than their FDs. The Birds program was memorable indeed--for all the wrong reasons. Wulpurgis Night is more memorable for the tacky costumes and utterly atrocious posture than for the program itself. The Man with the Harmonica was 2/3rds of a good program (the tacky discofied Tosca ending notwithstanding). I honestly cannot remember a single other FD of theirs. Their SDs on the other hand tend to be much better for me.

So while their SDs have reliably kept them in the top group, you could say that B/S live or die on the quality of their FD, which is why they've only one World's medal. And I agree they have to put it down this year, or they will be seen as never-wases, let alone also-rans. ID this year is pretty much a clean slate, something which hasn't happened in years and years (if not decades).

And I wouldn't count Chock and Bates out just yet. Not until we have seen the programs. I think with the right FD, C/B can overtake them.

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
I hope that Bobrova and Soloviev come back and win a world title. They probably would have at least medalled in Japan.

I don't think so.. not even P/B were able to get better than bronze,and they skated well, plus they normally defeated B/S during the season.

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
I still don't understand why P/B didn't win Worlds after I/K's twizzle disaster. It's like the judges were intentionally trying to break their hearts by making them the eternal bronze medallists, even with both D/W and V/M not there. And they actually had the highest technical scores, IIRC. Their PCS held them back, which I just cannot agree with.

Anyway, I'm not sure if P/B's lack of love from the judges meant B/S would receive the same treatment. P/B normally defeated B/S... but they normally defeated the two teams in front of them too.

No strong opinions about B/S from me. I'd rather they win Worlds than have C/L defending their title though (a lot depends on programs though).

slider11

Medalist
Yes, ice dance is in a tizzy. Definitely interesting with a Olympic cycle beginning. Bobrova and Soloviev leave me flat. I just don't see the great skill nor fabulous artistry or emotion. I had hoped they would find the Russian Ice Capades and move on. Apparently not. So are Pechalat and Bourizat staying amateur? After that puss on her face at Worlds medal ceremony, I thought she was done! Although very, very skilled, some time their artistry is so out there that we (and the judges) are left scratching our head. Le Petit Prince is enchanting as a child's story but trying to translate it to ice with clown outfits on just didn't work. I am also surprised that Capellini and Lanotte are still hanging on. I thought they'd capitalize on their win and hit the European circuit. Chock and Bates are certainly interesting. I am still disappointed that Evan broke the partnership with Emily Samuelson. Now that could have been something special. Evan and Madison are good and maybe can find the right vehicle to take it to the next level. The Shibs, too, have potential but it's tough being siblings and getting the right connection especially with this year's SD I believe being the paso doble. The other Russians are total mysteries. But my favorite right now are Weaver and Poje. I know they don't have the skill of P/B but I love, love the emotion and connection they put on the ice.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
I don't think so.. not even P/B were able to get better than bronze,and they skated well, plus they normally defeated B/S during the season.

Yeah I dont think B&S would have medaled at worlds either. We will never know, but my guess is they would have finished 4th or even 5th (I&K as firm Russian #1 politically now might have been pushed over B&S overall despite blowing the OD, especialy as they did win the FD with a huge score despite staying 4th overall). In that sense IMO it was much better for them to have not skated at worlds, and instead go into next season having beaten everytime out there, including W&P and C&L in all their competitions last season. Even with that I dont think they enter next season as the #1 in peoples minds, probably the #3 for now, but they are atleast closer to it than they gone to worlds and had a not so good result, which I think is what more likely would have happened. At the Games W&P not even in the final flight beat them in the FD, and that was with the crazy pro Russian scoring of the Games.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
I still don't understand why P/B didn't win Worlds after I/K's twizzle disaster. It's like the judges were intentionally trying to break their hearts by making them the eternal bronze medallists, even with both D/W and V/M not there. And they actually had the highest technical scores, IIRC. Their PCS held them back, which I just cannot agree with.

Anyway, I'm not sure if P/B's lack of love from the judges meant B/S would receive the same treatment. P/B normally defeated B/S... but they normally defeated the two teams in front of them too.

No strong opinions about B/S from me. I'd rather they win Worlds than have C/L defending their title though (a lot depends on programs though).

P&B probably did themselves no favors by mouthing off about the judging after the dissapointment of losing the bronze to I&K (probably stung more because of the crazy scores I&K received that indicated they had no chance, as it should have atleast probably been closer between them). I actually predicted before worlds there might be a bit of backlash for that. While it is impossible to say for sure that happened, it wouldnt shock me if it did.

I can understand C&L staying in. They only have 1 world medal to date (even if a gold) and 2 Europeans medals. I am sure they want to take the opportunity as world champions to see what they can achieve, and they atleast have the chance for now to shoot for more major medals, possibly even gold. However I think they will have a hard time staying above W&P this season, and possibly B&S depending how B&S's programs look, and if C&L stay in beyond another year or two they could see themselves passed by a variety of up and coming teams from the U.S and Russia. In short I dont see them the ones to beat even now, and think to try and stay until 2018 would be very bold on their part, but who knows. Nobody would have predicted them winning worlds either, even with V&M and D&W out.