Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Bobrova & Soloviev- the wild cards of ice dancing this season

Quote Originally Posted by Macassar88 View Post
    I hope that Bobrova and Soloviev come back and win a world title. They probably would have at least medalled in Japan.
    I don't think so.. not even P/B were able to get better than bronze,and they skated well, plus they normally defeated B/S during the season.

Custom Title
    I still don't understand why P/B didn't win Worlds after I/K's twizzle disaster. It's like the judges were intentionally trying to break their hearts by making them the eternal bronze medallists, even with both D/W and V/M not there. And they actually had the highest technical scores, IIRC. Their PCS held them back, which I just cannot agree with.

Anyway, I'm not sure if P/B's lack of love from the judges meant B/S would receive the same treatment. P/B normally defeated B/S... but they normally defeated the two teams in front of them too.

No strong opinions about B/S from me. I'd rather they win Worlds than have C/L defending their title though (a lot depends on programs though).

Custom Title
    Yes, ice dance is in a tizzy. Definitely interesting with a Olympic cycle beginning. Bobrova and Soloviev leave me flat. I just don't see the great skill nor fabulous artistry or emotion. I had hoped they would find the Russian Ice Capades and move on. Apparently not. So are Pechalat and Bourizat staying amateur? After that puss on her face at Worlds medal ceremony, I thought she was done! Although very, very skilled, some time their artistry is so out there that we (and the judges) are left scratching our head. Le Petit Prince is enchanting as a child's story but trying to translate it to ice with clown outfits on just didn't work. I am also surprised that Capellini and Lanotte are still hanging on. I thought they'd capitalize on their win and hit the European circuit. Chock and Bates are certainly interesting. I am still disappointed that Evan broke the partnership with Emily Samuelson. Now that could have been something special. Evan and Madison are good and maybe can find the right vehicle to take it to the next level. The Shibs, too, have potential but it's tough being siblings and getting the right connection especially with this year's SD I believe being the paso doble. The other Russians are total mysteries. But my favorite right now are Weaver and Poje. I know they don't have the skill of P/B but I love, love the emotion and connection they put on the ice.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by blue_idealist View Post
    I don't think so.. not even P/B were able to get better than bronze,and they skated well, plus they normally defeated B/S during the season.
    Yeah I dont think B&S would have medaled at worlds either. We will never know, but my guess is they would have finished 4th or even 5th (I&K as firm Russian #1 politically now might have been pushed over B&S overall despite blowing the OD, especialy as they did win the FD with a huge score despite staying 4th overall). In that sense IMO it was much better for them to have not skated at worlds, and instead go into next season having beaten everytime out there, including W&P and C&L in all their competitions last season. Even with that I dont think they enter next season as the #1 in peoples minds, probably the #3 for now, but they are atleast closer to it than they gone to worlds and had a not so good result, which I think is what more likely would have happened. At the Games W&P not even in the final flight beat them in the FD, and that was with the crazy pro Russian scoring of the Games.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandpiper View Post
    I still don't understand why P/B didn't win Worlds after I/K's twizzle disaster. It's like the judges were intentionally trying to break their hearts by making them the eternal bronze medallists, even with both D/W and V/M not there. And they actually had the highest technical scores, IIRC. Their PCS held them back, which I just cannot agree with.

Anyway, I'm not sure if P/B's lack of love from the judges meant B/S would receive the same treatment. P/B normally defeated B/S... but they normally defeated the two teams in front of them too.

No strong opinions about B/S from me. I'd rather they win Worlds than have C/L defending their title though (a lot depends on programs though).
    P&B probably did themselves no favors by mouthing off about the judging after the dissapointment of losing the bronze to I&K (probably stung more because of the crazy scores I&K received that indicated they had no chance, as it should have atleast probably been closer between them). I actually predicted before worlds there might be a bit of backlash for that. While it is impossible to say for sure that happened, it wouldnt shock me if it did.

I can understand C&L staying in. They only have 1 world medal to date (even if a gold) and 2 Europeans medals. I am sure they want to take the opportunity as world champions to see what they can achieve, and they atleast have the chance for now to shoot for more major medals, possibly even gold. However I think they will have a hard time staying above W&P this season, and possibly B&S depending how B&S's programs look, and if C&L stay in beyond another year or two they could see themselves passed by a variety of up and coming teams from the U.S and Russia. In short I dont see them the ones to beat even now, and think to try and stay until 2018 would be very bold on their part, but who knows. Nobody would have predicted them winning worlds either, even with V&M and D&W out.

Banned
    C&L competing until 2018 is as doubtful as Kostner/B&H making a 2018 skate

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by pangtongfan View Post
    P&B probably did themselves no favors by mouthing off about the judging after the dissapointment of losing the bronze to I&K (probably stung more because of the crazy scores I&K received that indicated they had no chance, as it should have atleast probably been closer between them). I actually predicted before worlds there might be a bit of backlash for that. While it is impossible to say for sure that happened, it wouldnt shock me if it did.

I can understand C&L staying in. They only have 1 world medal to date (even if a gold) and 2 Europeans medals. I am sure they want to take the opportunity as world champions to see what they can achieve, and they atleast have the chance for now to shoot for more major medals, possibly even gold. However I think they will have a hard time staying above W&P this season, and possibly B&S depending how B&S's programs look, and if C&L stay in beyond another year or two they could see themselves passed by a variety of up and coming teams from the U.S and Russia. In short I dont see them the ones to beat even now, and think to try and stay until 2018 would be very bold on their part, but who knows. Nobody would have predicted them winning worlds either, even with V&M and D&W out.
    I don't think P/B should be punished for stuff that happened off the ice (AKA "mouthing off"). I think they skated better than the teams in front of them in Saitama and deserved the gold. That's all there is to it.

I would've placed C/L in third place behind both P/B and W/P in Saitama... perhaps the result indicates that the judges disagree. But with the scores so close, I'm certainly not ready to declare C/L the new favoured team.

Rinkside
    Quote Originally Posted by slider11 View Post
    So are Pechalat and Bourizat staying amateur? After that puss on her face at Worlds medal ceremony, I thought she was done!
    Hi slider11,

Thanks for the reference to the Worlds medal ceremony - I haven't previously watched this, and I enjoyed watching it here.

I particularly enjoyed the little psychodrama when Ottavio Cinquanta presents Kaitlyn Weaver with her "Silver Medal" at 11:57. When Cinquanta goes back for the "Silver Medal" for Andrew Poje, Kaitlyn takes a quick look at her "Silver Medal" and, to her horror, sees that it is actually a Bronze Medal. She quickly tells Andrew what has happened, and she discreetly shows Cinquanta the mix-up and keeps the Bronze Medal covered with her hands (the TV camera catches this as though it's been choreographed). While Cinquanta beats a hasty retreat to retrieve the Silver Medal, Kaitlyn turns to Anna Cappellini at 12:15 and tells her that it's Bronze: Anna cracks up, but tries to hold her composure. As Cinquanta returns with the Silver Medal, the crowd has figured out what's happening and they all crack up. Cinquanta points to Kaitlyn's Bronze Medal: she turns around and removes it very discreetly and slides it to Cinquanta, who finally presents her with her Silver Medal.

I find this whole episode to be hilarious. [I don't know whether it's been pointed out by anyone else.]

Custom Title
    Yes, Spindrift, that medal mix-up was hilarious. Good 'ole Cinquanta can't even get the medal color right! I'm sure he chewed out some poor little medal holder girl for not telling him he was giving the wrong medal. "Hey, leader of figure skating...give her the silver one, she's in second place..." If you watch the whole thing, Nathalie's devastation and frankly pout-y look is pretty evident. She needs to reign that in and be a little more gracious. It was a close competition. If anyone could have been resentful it could have been Kaitlyn and Andrew. I think their FD was far superior to Anna and Luca's. But that's the way it goes sometimes and next time you may be in the favor.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandpiper View Post
    I don't think P/B should be punished for stuff that happened off the ice (AKA "mouthing off"). I think they skated better than the teams in front of them in Saitama and deserved the gold. That's all there is to it.

I would've placed C/L in third place behind both P/B and W/P in Saitama... perhaps the result indicates that the judges disagree. But with the scores so close, I'm certainly not ready to declare C/L the new favoured team.
    I would have had it W&P gold, P&B silver, C&L bronze. P&B did not perform a great SD so there was some validation for their placing behind W&P and C&L, although I understand some still thinking they were robbed. I was happy for C&L and their win, but I almost think it was a consolation choice since the judges weren't ready to crown another NA team as champions so soon after V&M and D&W retiring, and they also weren't comfortable giving it to P&B for some reason. I&K were supposed to win it in a cakewalk so I don't think the judges had even considered what to do if they had a huge problem. So they settled on C&L. I am not saying they didn't deserve it, although I wouldn't have gone with them, they did skate very well and the points went there way. However like you I certainly don't see them as the dominant team or even really the team to beat moving forwards. Contenders in the short term, but that is all.

umm...
    I will be surprised if C&L defend their world title. I see them probably on the podium but only with silver or bronze, and if they stay past this year they will probably drop out of the top 3 in favor of some up and coming teams. I think W&P or B&S (probably more likely W&P) will win it this year. Lets just say their surprise world title last year was not the dawning of them as the new dominant team in ice dancing IMO.
    Exactly what I think.
    I also think next season will be more about quality of the FDes than the skills of the pairs. I don't see B/S losing W/P and/or C/L if they have interesting and about same difficulty FD (of course with clean skate). But if their FD will be messy stuff again than they will fall out of TOP 3 for sure.
    And no way in hell they'll lose to C/B or S/S. They will be #1 russian pair and they're established yourself, hello. Of course if they will mess their twizzles or fall....
    About Carmen and Karenina. I don't worry about their SD, they'll do good. And Karenina themed FD is great idea in my opinion. Sounds classic and not overused at the same time.
    And people say the programs sound similar? Why exactly? Because they're named after two beautiful women? Come on! Did you hear Karenina soundtrack at all? It's actually a waltz.

Custom Title
    I would have had it W&P gold, P&B silver, C&L bronze. P&B did not perform a great SD so there was some validation for their placing behind W&P and C&L, although I understand some still thinking they were robbed. I was happy for C&L and their win, but I almost think it was a consolation choice since the judges weren't ready to crown another NA team as champions so soon after V&M and D&W retiring, and they also weren't comfortable giving it to P&B for some reason. I&K were supposed to win it in a cakewalk so I don't think the judges had even considered what to do if they had a huge problem. So they settled on C&L. I am not saying they didn't deserve it, although I wouldn't have gone with them, they did skate very well and the points went there way. However like you I certainly don't see them as the dominant team or even really the team to beat moving forwards. Contenders in the short term, but that is all.
    I think P/B did enough in the FD to overcome their SD deficit (it's not like they made a huge error a la I/K). However, I can see the case for W/P. I'd prefer either the French or the Canadians winning over C/L. There just wasn't any substance in C/L's FD.

Landing 3As in my dreams! skatedreamer's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by slider11 View Post
    Yes, Spindrift, that medal mix-up was hilarious. Good 'ole Cinquanta can't even get the medal color right! I'm sure he chewed out some poor little medal holder girl for not telling him he was giving the wrong medal. "Hey, leader of figure skating...give her the silver one, she's in second place..."
    Lordy, the medal mess was a hoot -- hadn't seen it before, either. Kind of makes me wish a similar mix-up had happened in Sochi, although if it had, I'm sure there would have been a riot in the arena...

Custom Title
    I really hope B/S bounce back this season. The splits in Russian Ice Dance have definitely helped them, as I/K after Sochi were definitely Russian No. 1's if not World No. 1's (twizzle errror aside I think they would have won in Saitama). Priot to worlds I would have expected two Russians and P/B on the podium, I would never have called C/L as world champions.

I am probably one of the few who liked their birds programme, at least I understood what the story was, which is something I can say about very few dance programmes these days. I think all the chopping and changing through the season really undermined them and come Sochi the Russians swung behing I/K after the team comp. I also liked their Man with a Harmonica programme, melodies of the white nights, their chess programme and their sailors short dance.

Not so sure how Carmen suits them but I am really looking forward to their Anna K.

Custom Title
    There's something about Bobrova and Soloviev that doesn't sit right with me. A couple years ago there was a Skate America practice video with Davis and White, Bobrova and soloviev and a couple others on the ice. Davis and White's music was playing and so it was there chance to have command of center ice. That's the rule. Right before Charlie lifted Meryl upside down for one of those difficult one legged super-hard balance moves, Bobrova and Soloviev cur right in front of them and, luckily, Charlie saw it and aborted the lift. It was super scary. This video has been since taken down. So, ok, maybe an accident but since then I've watched Soloviev's demeanor and there seems to me an edge, an arrogance that I'm, not liking. I'm sure his fans will disagree and say it was just an accident and it happens all the time. We'll see...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast