Music suggestion for Gracie Gold | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Music suggestion for Gracie Gold

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Off topic, but maybe someone can enlighten me. I never saw the movie, but why did the snowman want summer to come?

It was a running joke that was ironic. He had never experienced summer so he didn't know that he would melt if he were exposed to summer. But (SPOILER) apparently he knew that all along.

It's a Disney movie. Not worth trying to interpret (in every sense of the phrase "not worth trying to interpret", Gracie).

DianaSelene

Medalist
Re: Michelle skating to Disney songs, her two programs (Mulan and Pocahontas) were gorgeously choreographed and delivered. That Pocahontas program was incredible; all of the nuances in the choreography were amazing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fbLdsAh7_cc#t=47

As for Let It Go, the song is nice but for me, it didn't fit in with the movie. If someone asked me, "Do you think this song is part of a Disney movie or a Broadway play?" I'd say Broadway. It just didn't fit in to me. As for the movie itself, I thought it was cute and I think the whole Let It Go sequence was beautifully done...but other than that I wasn't all that blown away by the story overall. To me, Tangled was was better: music and story wise.

Anyhoo, re: Gracie skating to LIG as a competitive program, um no. Hell no. I was disappointed with exhibition program. She looked lovely but the program was carried by the music; the choreography/performance was pretty meh to me. This season I'd like to see Gracie skating to powerful music, though I have a feeling Frank is going to continue to push the ice princess persona. I like Gracie but her performances come off very pageant-like and I just can't connect to her skating...all of her "performance" is strictly on the surface. I hope she continues to improve to the point where she can actually connect with the audience and really draw people in to her performances. Of all of the top ladies coming into the season, I think she's the weakest when it comes to performing. Adelina, Elena, Ashley, Julia, Polina and maybe even Anna are all better performers than Gracie.

:thumbsup:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
... This year I'm betting that a lot of novice and junior skaters will be using this music. I'm not sure it's suitable for a senior skater who may be the standard bearer for the U.S. ladies. ...

Kristi Yamaguchi and her daughter Emma skating to Frozen
Published on Apr 25, 2014
1:36 in length
http://youtu.be/Mta7J4R38oM

Dunno whether this vid was posted elsewhere on GS in the past??

It's a lot of fun to see young Emma skating with her mother ... but Olympia's point re a higher bar for Gold's competitive music makes sense to me.

[Tip o' the hat to @yukinieve]

DianaSelene

Medalist
They look beautiful in those white dresses !!! :love:
I think Suzuki wore that same dress for Phantom of the Opera during the Olympics.

AsadaFanBoy

Final Flight
Hate to be someone who brings up another skater in another skater's thread but that picture of Ando, Imai, and Suzuki convinces me Suzuki is the right character for Elsa and should probably portray her in an on ice special. I can't get enough of her skating. -cries-

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Hate to be someone who brings up another skater in another skater's thread but that picture of Ando, Imai, and Suzuki convinces me Suzuki is the right character for Elsa and should probably portray her in an on ice special. I can't get enough of her skating. -cries-

If anyone could skate to Let It Go and interpret it beautifully and inspirationally without coming across as kitschy or eye-roll worthy, it would be Suzuki. :love:

Amei

Record Breaker
If anyone could skate to Let It Go and interpret it beautifully inspiring without coming across as kitschy or eye-roll worthy, it would be Suzuki. :love:

Agree - anyone else, I'm muting the TV and muttering about how they need to go back to the old rules about lyrics/vocals.

desertskates

Medalist
I can't even begin to imagine that as a competitive program. My jaw just about hit the floor when I heard it was her exhibition. It was everywhere and I was already sick of it. I'd like to see her come out with a strong classical program, more along the lines of what Ashley tends to use.

IcyEdges

Match Penalty
I would like to see Gracie go back to the Three Preludes violin thing. That was great music and (at Skate Canada) she interpreted the heck out of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EsNKmH2Prg8

I loved that program after it grew on me just in time for her to yank it. Even though it was inevitable once she went to Frank.

This program will never come back as long as she's working under Franks tutelage because he told her it sounded like "cats fighting" and that it had to go!:laugh:

skatedreamer

Medalist
Country
United-States
I loved that program after it grew on me just in time for her to yank it. Even though it was inevitable once she went to Frank.

This program will never come back as long as she's working under Franks tutelage because he told her it sounded like "cats fighting" and that it had to go!:laugh:

Finally watched the YT clip today and agree that the music really worked well for Gracie. She seemed to relate to it in a way that didn't show up nearly as much in her 2014 programs, especially her LP, even though I still liked it. It would be great if she could find something with a similar feel. (On a side note, her hair looked great, too; works better than the bun).

With all due respect to Frank, he simply doesn't know from cats fighting. They sound a helluva lot worse than that (and I'm a die-hard cat person)! ;) Still, he's got a point -- the violins did sound really scratchy, at least in that recording. Maybe the "scratchy" part is what he meant. :laugh:

IcyEdges

Match Penalty
Finally watched the YT clip today and agree that the music really worked well for Gracie. She seemed to relate to it in a way that didn't show up nearly as much in her 2014 programs, especially her LP, even though I still liked it. It would be great if she could find something with a similar feel. (On a side note, her hair looked great, too; works better than the bun).

With all due respect to Frank, he simply doesn't know from cats fighting. They sound a helluva lot worse than that (and I'm a die-hard cat person)! ;) Still, he's got a point -- the violins did sound really scratchy, at least in that recording. Maybe the "scratchy" part is what he meant. :laugh:

LOL! I have to agree with Frank though, music sounds very different from say an ipod or youtube or even a stereo system at home or a computer. When you have it on in an arena with each arena's different acoustics etc, it takes on a whole new life and sound almost.

I had heard it live and it almost did sound like "cats fighting" lol and maybe that's why I didn't like it at first. But like I said, it did grow on me after awhile. I hated her FS from day one. And Zoueva needs to stick to choreographing for ice dance only at this point. She proved with Gracie's 2 programs last year that singles programs just isn't her niche. :disapp: Not that I really liked the SP that Nichol gave her for the remainder of the season, and I'm not thrilled at all that she's reusing it this season. Though, I'm not a huge Gracie fan anyway so :laugh:

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
I'd like to see Gracie skate to some hard core, classic rock that's heavy on guitar riffs... I think she has the right attitude to pull off say Jimi Hendrix. Alas, Frank would never allow it so I resign myself to warhorses and pretty girl music... which makes me sad