Music suggestion for Gracie Gold | Golden Skate

Music suggestion for Gracie Gold

ucrgirl

On the Ice
I'm exited about the new rule who allows vocal music for the FS :yay:

Do you think that Gracie could skate to «let it go» for her FS ?

I have watch her exhibition: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pbKdMG-NiU4 and I think that it could be an amazing program if she manages to make this ex. a FS program :)

I don't think Frank would let her and I am glad. It's a fun program but a Disney song does not a senior FS program make. (Besides, that song is EVERYWHERE and it's getting old, in my opinion.)

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
It would be a serious copyright issue (DISNEY) and all her videos would be taken down so fast.

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
I think that would be a very bad idea. Gracie is already accused to being too "pageanty" and "Disney" (myself among those accusations, admittedly), so a program to Let It Go would just fuel those criticisms. Even if it's the most beautiful program ever, people will find it difficult to see past her reputation. Same reason why Liza skating to another Latin piece would be bad--even if the program is a masterpiece, it just gives people more reason to complain.

Me, personally? Don't really find Let It Go any better or worse a program than Gracie's current ones. I hope she'll work on her line/extension on the spiral and Ina Bauer though (the former isn't too bad, but US ladies are generally known for having incredible spirals, so I admit I hold Gracie to a lofty standard). And please don't lip sync to the lyrics!

skatedreamer

Medalist
Country
United-States
It would be a serious copyright issue (DISNEY) and all her videos would be taken down so fast.

But she's used it in an exhibition, right? So.....so far, so good unless I'm missing something. Have to believe someone jumped through the copyright hoops before doing the program for her. :think:

Having said that, agree that while LIG is lots of fun it's still sort of meh as a piece of music and is definitely getting old. I loved the exhibition, too, but IMO Gracie needs something more sophisticated for a senior level FS. Whoever chose the Grieg Piano Concerto for her 2013-2014 SP was on the right track; hope she goes more in that direction instead of Disney.

No disrespect to the OP -- just one person's opinion.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I meant copyright issues on YouTube. I can't even watch the video the OP linked for this reason. So all her videos will be taken down....or at least difficult to access.....right?

I would flip if that happened to my favorite skater.

Gracie is using the same SP right. Thought I read that today on the news feed.

satine

v Yuki Ishikawa v
Record Breaker
I think that would be a very bad idea. Gracie is already accused to being too "pageanty" and "Disney" (myself among those accusations, admittedly), so a program to Let It Go would just fuel those criticisms.

I thought the same thing. And I just can not understand the hype for this song :frown:

Hanmgse

Record Breaker
It's a lovely EX but I can't see it as her FS and I admit I'm tired of that song :slink:

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I personally hope that Gracie will "Let it Go" after this year. :laugh:

I didn't really enjoy it at SOI.

Icey

Record Breaker
That would almost be a kiss of death lol. And as others have said, Frank would undoubtedly put his foot down on that.

skatedreamer

Medalist
Country
United-States
I meant copyright issues on YouTube. I can't even watch the video the OP linked for this reason. So all her videos will be taken down....or at least difficult to access.....right?

I would flip if that happened to my favorite skater.

Gracie is using the same SP right. Thought I read that today on the news feed.

Oh. I didn't try the link -- remembered the program from the Olympics gala (I think). Anyway, you're right: if you can't watch on YT, there are issues somewhere.

pista04

On the Ice
There are, however, some American exhibition programs that are truly beautiful and could EASILY translate into a senior-appropriate program. For example, Jeremy Abbott's The Fear by Ben Howard as well as Wagner's Sweet Dreams Are Made of This.

Amei

Record Breaker
There are, however, some American exhibition programs that are truly beautiful and could EASILY translate into a senior-appropriate program. For example, Jeremy Abbott's The Fear by Ben Howard as well as Wagner's Sweet Dreams Are Made of This.

I wonder if we'll see several skaters take their exhibitions and make them into competition programs.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I was actually quite disappointed in Gracie's Let it Go. There was so much potential there and it looked like the program was thrown together in a couple of hours before the show. :(

All the same, it's not a great idea for an LP (is it even long enough?) and we're going to hear it enough this year; don't torment us so!

noskates

Record Breaker
I wasn't much a fan of it at SOI either. Gracie needs a great program with great music this year to show last year wasn't a fluke!

Components

Match Penalty
I think people's expectations of SoI Exhibition programs are a bit too high at this point in history :)

In any case, Michelle Kwan skated to Pocahontas and the world went Gaga over it, so I don't see an issue with someone using Disney. I still wouldn't want to watch it. I prefer classical for figure skating because the music is generally composed a bit better and has a bit better structure for laying programs out to it. But other genres can and often do work fine as well. Just my preference.

I actually think another year of classical would do Gracie some good to make her learn how to interpret music better. A lot of other music holds the skater's hands and gets in the way of them genuinely progressing, musically speaking.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
wow this will be hard to beat, Gracie is setting a trend, Let it go could be a trademark music and program from Gracie
this music with her planned elements, we could see a potential 140-150 free skate maximum score.

Krunchii

Record Breaker
Didn't she say in an interview that she wouldn't be doing lyrics this season? I don't see it happening

Components

Match Penalty
wow this will be hard to beat, Gracie is setting a trend, Let it go could be a trademark music and program from Gracie
this music with her planned elements, we could see a potential 140-150 free skate maximum score.

Gracie is not going to get the PCS she needs to get a 150 score. The Olympics are over.