Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Music suggestion for Gracie Gold

Michelle Kwan was 15 when she used music from Pocohontas as an exhibition. (I think this was before she signed on with Disney for a million bucks. ) Let it Go is too young for Gracie at this stage of her competitive career.

go figure
    Quote Originally Posted by coolboogie22 View Post
    Do you think that Gracie could skate to «let it go» for her FS ?
    I have to second the others. I don't think it would do Gold much good to skate to music for a children's/teens movie in FS. But, it could make a lovely and fun exhibition, granted she has a fitting costume for the role (I'm a big fan of skater costumes mimicking the movie version when skating to soundtracks, especially in exhibitions). I usually don't watch youtube videos because they keep freezing on me, and are blurred - for a program I haven't seen yet, I prefer seeing it on TV to make a first impression. Also, believe it or not, I've never heard the song (though I know it exists). :P An exhibition to Let It Go would be quite fine by me.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    Michelle Kwan was 15 when she used music from Pocohontas as an exhibition. (I think this was before she signed on with Disney for a million bucks. ) Let it Go is too young for Gracie at this stage of her competitive career.
    Yeah, this. It would be cute if a 11 year old did it, it's not so cute when a grown women is doing it. Plus, I find the whole "ice skater = ice princess" thing really corny.

Also, I think Gracie needs to build a stronger reputation with the judges before she can try anything too daring. I think she should stick to classical, instrumental tracks for the next season and build her reputation up. She just needs better suited programs and better choreography. Last season the music didn't highlight her best attributes, and they were choreographically bland.

Landing 3As in my dreams! skatedreamer's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandpiper View Post
    Why the heck are people bringing up Kwan's scores in the early periods of COP, before inflation set in, and which Michelle competed while perishing from injuries?

I don't think any skater will hit 150 skating to Let It Go. Unless all their competitors skated to Justin Bieber. (Now watch as someone proves me wrong next season . Er, the Let It Go part, not the Justin Bieber part).

The difference is that Michelle was seen by most people as an enchanting artist on ice, while Gracie is already getting a lot of "pageant queen" labels. Skating to Let It Go wouldn't be the best idea for anyone, but it goes for Gracie in particular. (You don't have to agree that Michelle was an artist or that Gracie is pageanty, but that's how many people perceive them).
    Once again, Sandpiper just said pretty much everything I was about to type...

Although LIG is a cute song, it's also rather trite and has been played so much that it's getting boring. There's so much other wonderful music out there -- why use something that's already yesterday's news?

Quote Originally Posted by satine94 View Post
    I thought the same thing. And I just can not understand the hype for this song
    I don't get the hype either. After watching Frozen for the first time, I did not even remember Let It Go. It all just kind of meshed with every other song and none of them stood out to me. And suddenly I heard that it was the best song of the year, of the decade, of the century, of the millenium and every single girl was singing it.

I have seen most of the animated disney movies and could provide quite a long list of much more memorable songs.

Custom Title
    I cannot see Frank Carroll allowing Gracie to skate to Let it Go as a competitive program. He's too smart to allow her to skate to a song from a children's cartoon plus the song is played out. Gracie needs to be taken seriously this season.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Jammers View Post
    I cannot see Frank Carroll allowing Gracie to skate to Let it Go as a competitive program. He's too smart to allow her to skate to a song from a children's cartoon plus the song is played out. Gracie needs to be taken seriously this season.
    its not a cartoon

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by DianaSelene View Post
    I don't get the hype either. After watching Frozen for the first time, I did not even remember Let It Go. It all just kind of meshed with every other song and none of them stood out to me. And suddenly I heard that it was the best song of the year, of the decade, of the century, of the millenium and every single girl was singing it.

I have seen most of the animated disney movies and could provide quite a long list of much more memorable songs.
    I agree! I was all ready to like the song, and then when I saw the film, I felt that it did not illuminate the character of that princess at all. In fact, most of the plot seemed contrived to me, with no motivation for events or characters' reactions. (And I like Disney!) Add to that the fact that the song didn't have (for me, at least) a rich melodic core, it never gave me the exhilaration that it's designed to give, and I am lukewarm about anyone skating to it. You're right that a large number of other Disney songs are much more memorable, especially those from Pocahontas. The whole score of that film is lovely in my opinion, even the song about "the Virginia Company" sung at the beginning. Not that I'm suggesting that Gracie skate to that!

Quote Originally Posted by Sandpiper View Post
    The difference is that Michelle was seen by most people as an enchanting artist on ice, while Gracie is already getting a lot of "pageant queen" labels. Skating to Let It Go wouldn't be the best idea for anyone, but it goes for Gracie in particular. (You don't have to agree that Michelle was an artist or that Gracie is pageanty, but that's how many people perceive them).
    The part in bold makes a great point. Personally, I don't regard Michelle Kwan (my favorite skater ) as an exquisite artist, but rather as a great performer. I was just watching a video from the 2010 MTV series "Made" where Michelle was trying to help a young aspiring figure skater. Michelle demonstrated a few moves and then told the girl something like, "See? It looks like I am doing something, but actually I am just moving my arms up and down."

I do not regard Gracie Gold as a pageant-y ice princess in the least. To me, "robust athlete" is closer to the mark.

Quote Originally Posted by Kwanford Wife View Post
    Here's what I'd like to see from Gracie in upcoming seasons: strong, athletic music that puts her ice princess on the shelf and showcases her inner tough girl. One of the reasons her Let it Go program is so painful to watch is that she skates it like she knows it's stupid. She's no sweetheart (and I mean that in the best way possible) she should put all the preconceived notions on the shelf and just go be awesome.
    Hi, KFW. Thank you for saying straight out what I think a whole lot of people have been tip-toeing around on this thread.
    Last edited by Mathman; 07-03-2014 at 04:02 PM.

Custom Title
    I cannot see Frank Carroll allowing Gracie to skate to Let it Go as a competitive program. He's too smart to allow her to skate to a song from a children's cartoon plus the song is played out.
    I beg of Frank Carroll to refuse to allow her (or any of his skaters) skate to that song.

Though - it would be slightly humorous if his 18 year old skater wants to do a Disney princess song and the skater he referred to as a 'little girl' in the Olympics when choosing her music went for Schindler's List, a piece of music far from Disney princess music.

Gracie needs to be taken seriously this season.
    I don't think that her music selections will do much for her whether it be really good or really bad music; if Gracie wants to be taken seriously internationally she needs to start finishing on the podium more consistently and podium finishes need to be more 1st place then 2nd or 3rd.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by sky_fly20 View Post
    wow this will be hard to beat, Gracie is setting a trend, Let it go could be a trademark music and program from Gracie
    this music with her planned elements, we could see a potential 140-150 free skate maximum score.
    Don't you mean 170+?

This is a bad idea. Obviously. It will be a worse farce than Amodio's Fergalicious.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by CanadianSkaterGuy View Post
    Don't you mean 170+?

This is a bad idea. Obviously. It will be a worse farce than Amodio's Fergalicious.
    no other skater has skated as a competitive program "Let it Go"
    it could be her trademark or what Gracie will be known for the future

it is well known music and could generate new fanbase in FS epecially in America
    it suits her perfectly, and she is blonde beauty like Elsa

Custom Title

it is well known music and could generate new fanbase in FS epecially in America
    No, it couldn't. It would be a stupid idea. The song is already driving people bonkers; put it on the international scene and people will go bonkers. It made a pretty exhibition, but it's not a competitive song.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by karne View Post
    No, it couldn't. It would be a stupid idea. The song is already driving people bonkers; put it on the international scene and people will go bonkers. It made a pretty exhibition, but it's not a competitive song.
    I personally don't like Let it Go song either
    what I'm saying is that exposure to a well known song could
    make Gracie a household name in the US and attract new fanbase for figure skating

isnt that a win-win situation

Custom Title

No one has skated to it yet because it was such a new song last season, and most skaters' programs were probably already created when the film came out. This year I'm betting that a lot of novice and junior skaters will be using this music. I'm not sure it's suitable for a senior skater who may be the standard bearer for the U.S. ladies. I also worry that because the pacing and intensity of the song are the same throughout, there's not much room for variety of presentation of elements (such as footwork, for example). At the very least, it would need to be blended with other music from the soundtrack.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast