Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Russia’s Maxim Kovtun moves forward

News Russia’s Maxim Kovtun moves forward

It has been a tough year with ups and down for Maxim Kovtun, but the Russian Champion is looking forward to the upcoming season. More...

Custom Title
    Somewhere over the rainbow where blue birds fly
    "The skater plans to put two quads in the short program and three in the long."
    thanks for the interview!

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Hanmgse View Post
    "The skater plans to put two quads in the short program and three in the long."
    thanks for the interview!
    Pretty ambitious, but totally doable. It's insanely difficult to execute 5 quads in two programs when most skaters are doing 3 at the most (with a few exceptions like Fernandez and Reynolds), but that would be amazing if he were the first. I hope not making the Olympic team was a bit humbling for him, and he's realized that he just can't rest on his laurels.

Quote Originally Posted by CanadianSkaterGuy View Post
    I hope not making the Olympic team was a bit humbling for him…
    Doesn't sound like it.

I have mixed feelings about the five quads thing. Big jumps aren't the problem, it's maintaining focus and intensity on the rest of the program.

Cool to see Peter Tchernyshev involved.

Custom Title
    Hah, that's why I said a "bit". No way it would be very humbling. Although I hope he feels a bit humbled every time one of the Russian team pulls up to the rink in their Merc.

Intensity will come. He's actually shown pretty good progress on his jumps from season to season, and just needs consistency and "go for it" instead of being tentative which causes pops/mistakes. His 3A is pretty strong, and he'll usually land at least 1 quad in his FS, so I can picture him doing enough to win with 3 attempts (if they're rotated at least).

If he feels he's capable of doing 5 quads, then good for him! It's admirable the men are constantly pushing the envelope when it comes to technical ability. On the other hand, I hope that by aiming for this he is at least in shape enough to land 3/5 of them & the rest of his program components will not suffer. Having a quad quad quad mentality can really result in an otherwise lackluster-program. And can be too stressful on his body..

Custom Title
    Kovtun has been working with his team on two new programs, but was not ready to reveal his choice of music.

“Petia (Peter) Tchernyshev, Tatiana Anatolievna (Tarasova), and [coach] Elena Germanovna (Buianova) put them together, everybody as always,” the Muscovite shared. “Now it is a completely different level of work.”

“First of all, I now skate up to four hours without a break,” he explained. “Last year, I was able to last for four hours, but it was very tough. At the end, I just couldn’t do it anymore and almost threw up. After two hours the next day, I was exhausted and asked for a day off, but now I’ve worked through a whole week without a break.”

He also feels that he is better able to implement what his choreographer and coach show him.

“Petia shows something and I do the step right away,” said Kovtun. “I already see all these details and can distinguish them.”

Kovtun admitted having difficulty with this last season.

“When we (began training) the Flamenco, it was just hell,” he recalled. “I couldn’t repeat a single step and there were hundreds of them. I needed half an hour to learn one step, so it took a very long time to put this all together. The free program was already somewhat easier.”
    Nice to see him improving.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by HanDomi View Post
    The problem is when they will land all quads then they will miss some other easier jump. It shame that Javier landed all 3 quads, and then popped lutz.... That's just .
    Yeah, I think that is the main problem. Eventually, two quads in the short will be the standard among elite skaters, I believe (maybe not this quad, but eventually). I think the main impediment to a 3 quad+ LP is precisely this reason though. Yeah, you hit the quads, but then you lack the strength and energy to pull off a lutz or axel later in the program. I mean, it's doable, but it will take someone with a lot of stamina.

Quads or no quads there is something in him, in his skating I mean, which I don't like.

Team Russian Silver Foxes gallavich's Avatar
    He posted today a clip of his first public performance of the new program(s)...we don't get to see any of it though, just the applause he got.

http://instagram.com/p/qC3JfyCBT3/?modal=true

Quote Originally Posted by gallavich View Post
    He posted today a clip of his first public performance of the new program(s)...we don't get to see any of it though, just the applause he got.

http://instagram.com/p/qC3JfyCBT3/?modal=true
    Oh for god's sake. Not even Plushy in his prime would put a video like that. What does he want to show exactly?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Alba View Post
    Oh for god's sake. Not even Plushy in his prime would put a video like that. What does he want to show exactly?
    Hah, it's like him skating a test skate that nobody gets to see but OBVIOUSLY he skated it superbly given the reaction.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Alba View Post
    There was no Instagram when Plushy was in his prime.

Custom Title
    Interesting reaction about Flamenco too... it looked like a very ambitious skate to do with all those steps so I'm glad he was challenged. And it certainly turned out great for him.

Custom Title
    Are the Russian skaters given Mercedes----from their government or private donors through their federation?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast