Russia’s Maxim Kovtun moves forward | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Russia’s Maxim Kovtun moves forward

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
...Should we take this to the quads thread? I mean, we're still talking about Kovtun, but since the mods specifically made a quads thread to keep this one on topic...?

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
...Should we take this to the quads thread? I mean, we're still talking about Kovtun, but since the mods specifically made a quads thread to keep this one on topic...?

Sure... I mean, I think I kept discussing it here because Kovtun talked about trying 5 quads in the article and then the discussion was talking about the merits of him including 5 quads or not. But I guess it could apply to either topic.

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
I was trying to be careful after the mods split the two threads. Though we're still on the topic of Kovtun, our conversation (and especially my latest reply, which is on the other thread) has drifted into talking about 5-quad programs in general (and whether that's preferable to good artistry, ect).

Wo|flax

Final Flight
My main problem with Kovtun in particular doing more quads is that his three-turn into them takes so long. I don't blame him for long prep into a quad; but more quads = more time taken to set them up= less time for choreo/expression. Though I guess you could argue that if the choreo isn't going to be ground-breaking anyway, why not take the time for the quads. Also I think the slowness (idk if he just takes a lot of ice and isn't actually slow though) exacerbates the unpleasantness of his quad technique.

/goes back to lurking

aschiutza

On the Ice
Bot exactly for programs with falls and rewarded falls i am not keen. You might think is wise, but even if it is for him wise to rack that points, i don't have to like them or to be excited about them. If the jumps were beautiful executed, maybe, but when the jump technik is so weird .... (no, i don't like Murakami either. I don't have also no problem with long time taken for a jump).

I have the feeling, that if any russian male skater will have decent jumps and loads of charisma, will overtake Kovtun in no time. Just my impression. A clean Gachinski packed in an interesting program from Tarasova and with only 3 quads would beat Kovtun with 5 quads.

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
A clean Gachinski packed in an interesting program from Tarasova and with only 3 quads would beat Kovtun with 5 quads.
We can make a decent case that he "should" (I know some posters here will really disagree, but I think there's a case for it). I don't think he would (but who knows, TAT's politiking could change that). But kinda a moot point because I doubt Kovtun will be able to hit 5 quads more than once every two seasons, if at all.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
I have the feeling, that if any russian male skater will have decent jumps and loads of charisma, will overtake Kovtun in no time. Just my impression. A clean Gachinski packed in an interesting program from Tarasova and with only 3 quads would beat Kovtun with 5 quads.

I highly doubt this. Kovtun with 5 quads easily beats any Russian with 3 quads. It's mathematics, and based on PCS. Gachinski with a clean SP with a quad will be pressed to score 90, whereas Kovtun's clean SP with 2 quads will likely score around the 93-94 range this season, minimum. In the FS, Kovtun with 2 axels and 3 quads would likely beat Gachinski with 2 axels and 2 quads. It might not be a runaway but a clean Kovtun with 5 quads should be most of the field, save for maybe Hanyu, Machida and Fernandez (or possibly Ten if he decides to do a 2 axel/2 quad LP).

gmyers

Record Breaker
Gachinski spent a little too much time in the doldrums and won't have the pcs I agree.