Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Why no Solo Dance?

Why no Solo Dance?

In roller skating, solo dance competitions are really popular and we have Senior and Junior categories who compete at Worlds together with Singles, Pairs and Dance Couples; for example, these are the reigning WCs, both from Italy: Paola Fraschini http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TxWlspY6gSg and Alessandro Spigai http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_vjX5nPwTBs. A lot of people compete both in SL and Couples: for example, Alessandro is WC in Solo Dance and in Dance Couples (with Anna Remondini).
    I know that there are Solo Dance competitions in the US, but at low levels: what would you think about making it an international discipline, with the same importance as the others (as it is in roller skating)? I personally think that, with all the beautiful opportunities that skating on ice gives (for turns and flow, a lot more than roller skating for sure!), we would see wonderful programs and skaters! And maybe some skaters who are not great jumpers but are able to skate with excellent edges, posture, basic technique etc. could have a chance to shine in these competitions without having to skate with a partner! What do you think?

great! I have never seen before...

But I don't like to see this on ice. The skaters are dancing + jumping. More exciting.

Custom Title
    I often read some people want to see artistry and complaining about falling in jumps, too many jumps etc. So probably this single/solo dance can be a category to satisfy this group of viewers/fans...artistry rather than athletics.

Custom Title
    Not sure about the solo. If solo is introduced, how about Pas de Trois, Pas de Quatre...

Quote Originally Posted by JayW View Post
    Not sure about the solo. If solo is introduced, how about Pas de Trois, Pas de Quatre...
    The thing is: we have both solo skaters and couples executing jumps/spins, but we have only couples performing Ice Dancing, why this difference? (Because this is the tradition, I know, but this is what I propose to discuss about in this thread )

I love it when singles skaters incorporate dance into their programs, but I don't watch a lot of ice dance because I find it rather dull watching team after team without any jumps at all. I think ice shows and exhibitions are the best place for those kinds of skaters to show off what they can do. It would be nice if there were more opportunities for them, though, no question.

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    Solo dance is competed in some countries. It is part of the Lake Placid Ice Dance Competition in the US every year, for example.

There is no ISU Solo Dance at this time, I believe.

Custom Title
    I'm not against this in principle. I dunno if I'll find it as interesting as dancing with jumps, but if there's duo ice dance why not a solo one? The question is, how will such a contest be judged? It'll be even harder to judge than ice dance: no lifts, no holds, no matching lines/synchronization/side-by-side twizzles to judge, and less ability to tell a story since you have only one character to work with. I don't want it to be "4 minutes of tedious COP step sequence," on one end of the spectrum, but I also don't want it to be "who can make the best faces at the judges?"

Custom Title
    Solo dance is huge in the US.

http://www.usfsa.org/Programs.asp?id=479

Custom Title
    I would love to see this take off as another discipline. I expect that it will build from the bottom up. If enough federations end up holding national championships in solo dance, and maybe offering the event at various internationals, not necessarily senior-only, eventually there will be dedicated international solo dance competitions.

If becomes popular enough with participants, the ISU may offer a world championship in the discipline.

Whenever that happens, which may take decades, then it will start attracting more talented skaters who choose to focus on skating and music interpretation rather than jumps, or who have the wrong body type to master triple jumps or to skate and perform lifts with an opposite-sex dance partner, but who otherwise have everything it takes to reach an elite level.

If the ISU should offer solo dance championships before the discipline builds up its own stars from the grassroots up, they could attract more preteen/teen skaters sooner to choose that discipline as a first choice. Meanwhile, if they wanted to hold championships before enough elite-level skaters had worked their way up through the solo dance ranks, we'd probably see mostly established ice dancers without partners and a few elite singles skaters who have chosen (or their bodies chose for them) to take their focus off jumping.

Custom Title
    ^That sounds like it'll attract more girls than guys, because, well, puberty monster...

Custom Title
    I'd rather see the removal of "ice dancing" from figure skating disciplines than development of "solo dance".

Custom Title
    If you're not interested, you don't have to watch.

If few fans want to watch, then there won't be TV contracts and it's less likely that the ISU would be interested in setting up championships.

But if enough skaters want participate at a grass roots level and entry fees cover the costs of the competitions, the existence of a non-fan-friendly discipline would have no impact on what fans do want to see.

Same with synchronized skating, which does have world championships now.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by gkelly View Post
    If you're not interested, you don't have to watch.
    I'm not sure I'd watch solo dance myself, but why should I take anything away from those that do (and those who wish to participate)?

Custom Title
    Sure, institute it, but I wouldn't make it an Olympic or World medal worthy sport any time soon, given the lack of distinguishable elements (compared to other disciplines) and HUGE subjectivity involved in determining a winner.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast