Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Canada’s Osmond seeks redemptive season

Quote Originally Posted by chuckm View Post
    But her free skates---not so much, that's when it becomes element after element, her skating looks 'heavy', and she loses the performance towards the end.
    I agree with you. The FS was "heavy" and she lost the performance, too many errors also. But I hope it was because of her injury.
    I expect much more from her the coming season.

I still think Kaitlyn is an average skater. She isn't the worst, but she isn't the best. Again she has potential and maybe injury free she can lose some of the sluggishness people are seeing in her. She is pretty. I hope that if she is nice maybe that will set an example as a roll model to younger skaters. I think a little bit of nice is a good thing for skating.

Custom Title
    Came back and re-read this thread and I'm glad some of you posters got what I meant and agreed about "heavy!" It certainly wasn't meant as a comment about her body. I will say this though. I have very dear friends who are Canadian and figure skater fans and they are SO happy that a Canadian woman is showing promise. For that alone I would root for her.

Tripping on the Podium
    She is indeed lovely and entertaining to watch and a natural performer on ice. However, figure skating is still a sport. She does not have a true lutz, no real 3-3s, the showmanship in the SP does not translate so well in the FS perhaps due to her lack of stamina. Lets face it. Under CoP, you win by having attack, big jumps, power and athleticism. Even an etheral skater like Kostner without the big jumps has the ability to go full speed into her jumps and have some of the best basic skating skills and deep secure edges which gain lots of points in the PCS. I am afraid that KO just does not have the technical goods yet to challenge the Russian youngsters, although I think she will be the best exhibition and show skater of her generation.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Globetrotter View Post
    She is indeed lovely and entertaining to watch and a natural performer on ice. However, figure skating is still a sport. She does not have a true lutz, no real 3-3s, the showmanship in the SP does not translate so well in the FS perhaps due to her lack of stamina. Lets face it. Under CoP, you win by having attack, big jumps, power and athleticism. Even an etheral skater like Kostner without the big jumps has the ability to go full speed into her jumps and have some of the best basic skating skills and deep secure edges which gain lots of points in the PCS. I am afraid that KO just does not have the technical goods yet to challenge the Russian youngsters, although I think she will be the best exhibition and show skater of her generation.
    To be fair, there are lots of skaters who don't have a true lutz (or flip) and have inconsistency with their 3-3. It's a bit misleading to say Osmond has no real 3-3 when she's done the 3T+3T several times, and also landed her 3F+3T in her most recent competition. She has the technical goods, but her consistency needs to improve. She gets lots of speed and her jumps are big and she does transitions into them, however she doesn't always control the axis of her jumps or check out solidly which leads to errors.

As far as challenging the Russian youngsters, that's a tall order for any skater, seeing as how 3Z+3T is the standard for them and half loop 3S combos now. You just need to look at the protocol for Russian JUNIOR Nationals to realise that every country/skater is pretty much screwed at the moment. The only exception could be Edmunds, IMO, who just might have the technical ambitiousness to keep up with them. Park has yet to prove herself beyond her stellar Worlds, Li and Gold need to gain more consistency, Wagner has 3-3 issues, and Osmond herself is battling consistency/injury issues.

Custom Title
    What makes Osmond more vulnerable is that she lacks the loop and therefore has less choice in her jump repertory. By doing 3f+3t, 3ze, 2a in her SP, under the new rules Osmond could get a huge edge deduction that reduces the value of the lutz to that of a mediocre salchow. Gold doesn't do the flip in her SP but instead does 3z+3t, 3lo, 2a. Kaetlyn doesn't have that option, and doing a 3s instead of the 3z isn't a satisfactory solution.

Osmond needs to place as high as possible in the SP because without a clean lutz and no loop, her FS doesn't have the technical content to challenge the top skaters.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3