Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Canada’s Osmond seeks redemptive season

Quote Originally Posted by CanadianSkaterGuy View Post
    Totally. She also had an endearing humble attitude and is a natural performer.

Other skaters look like its a day at the office whereas she wants to impress the audience.
    I agree.

This is what I like about Kaetlyn: She looks happy, she appears to be really enjoying the performance even if she makes some mistakes, she has charisma and enough skill and she's a bit different from the stereotypical princessy lady skater. She has many of the qualities that Jason Brown has -joy in skating, born performer, charisma and a happy off-ice personality - and I like those qualities.

Custom Title
    Considering she lost almost all the points on her layback spin (received 0.39 points for it) in the short program and received an edge call on her lutz, I think her sp score was about right.

Last year during the short program, the British commentators praised her "always doing something", so it will be interesting to see how this doing less approach plays out with the judges.

Custom Title
    I've never been impressed with Kaetlyn. To me she looks "heavy" on the ice. I don't see the energy or charisma at all. Maybe its because I didn't care for the black black hair and the costumes last year. Wish she would dress more age appropriate. Would really love to see her do well this year for Canada though.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by TMC View Post
    I agree.

This is what I like about Kaetlyn: She looks happy, she appears to be really enjoying the performance even if she makes some mistakes, she has charisma and enough skill and she's a bit different from the stereotypical princessy lady skater. She has many of the qualities that Jason Brown has -joy in skating, born performer, charisma and a happy off-ice personality - and I like those qualities.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by noskates View Post
    I've never been impressed with Kaetlyn. To me she looks "heavy" on the ice. I don't see the energy or charisma at all. Maybe its because I didn't care for the black black hair and the costumes last year. Wish she would dress more age appropriate. Would really love to see her do well this year for Canada though.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k24XVTVSxks

You don't see any energy or charisma in that performance?

Not sure what you mean by "heavy"... I'm assuming you're not referring to her build, but rather the way she moves on the ice. I agree that she needs refinement and "reining it in" a bit, and she doesn't have the "ethereal" quality that someone like Kostner/Edmunds has, but I think she has good speed, attack, flow and transitions.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by aromaticchicken View Post
    I know there are some major fans of hers in this forum, but I can't say I have ever been impressed by any of her performances I have seen. Can any fans explain what they find special about her? I'm genuinely curious. Would be happy to watch some 'best of' performances, too.
    With her SP from last season:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a8PFf9VBzfg
    It is impossible to not like her.
    This program is contagious
    Her joy, speed and energy, makes us forget that this is a competition.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by coolboogie22 View Post
    With her SP from last season:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a8PFf9VBzfg
    It is impossible to not like her.
    This program is contagious
    Her joy, speed and energy, makes us forget that this is a competition.
    That's the sign of a wonderful skater... they're delivering a performance, and not merely reeling off elements. Even when Osmond makes errors she doesn't let the performance go, and that's a rare quality as not just a competitor but also as a performer.

Custom Title
    But her free skates---not so much, that's when it becomes element after element, her skating looks 'heavy', and she loses the performance towards the end.

Maybe this coming season she will put in enough practice time on her free skate to build up the stamina she needs to get through it without all the stumbles and stepouts.

Rinkside
    I think if she has more consistent LP's she can for sure become a top ten skater.

Custom Title
    She already has been in the 2012-2013 season. With the dropouts and likely a healthier year (hopefully), a top 10 finish should be easy for her this year. Top 5 will be much harder to crack, but she has the potential I think.

Quote Originally Posted by chuckm View Post
    But her free skates---not so much, that's when it becomes element after element, her skating looks 'heavy', and she loses the performance towards the end.

Maybe this coming season she will put in enough practice time on her free skate to build up the stamina she needs to get through it without all the stumbles and stepouts.
    I agree that with freeskates, there's a lot greater focus on the elements and she has a tendency to make errors and lose the performance. With greater stamina, she can certainly create freeskates that maintain character and energy from start to finish. I'd also like to see her try something classical that relies more on nuance and grace rather than showmanship (which clearly she's more comfortable with).

Tripping on the Podium
    I think she is very talented!! She has the goods to make it all the way to the top. She has great preforming skills and all the technical goods. On top of it she is beautiful to watch. I hope she gives the Russian girls and Gracie run for their money this year and stays healthy!!

I think she is a meh skater, but she has potential. I don't see anything special here either. I much prefer Gracie, the Russian gals, and some of the Asian ladies.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by CanadianSkaterGuy View Post
    With the dropouts and likely a healthier year (hopefully), a top 10 finish should be easy for her this year. Top 5 will be much harder to crack, but she has the potential I think.
    There are more additions to replace the dropouts---e.g. Radionova, and Sotnikova will be back. It isn't going to get any easier, especially with the bigger flutz and lip deductions.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by aromaticchicken View Post
    I know there are some major fans of hers in this forum, but I can't say I have ever been impressed by any of her performances I have seen. Can any fans explain what they find special about her? I'm genuinely curious. Would be happy to watch some 'best of' performances, too.
    I think her popularity stems from:

1. She is a pretty girl
    2. She is a very nice person
    3. Her style is flirtatious, fun, spontaneous, and just fun to watch regardless of its scoring merit or objective standard
    4. She is a pretty good skater, and being a Canadian ladies single that is even pretty good is a rather rare and exciting thing in the last 20 years. Really only Rochette is a better skater in the post Chouinard years, regardless how many Canadian titles Robinson won in a weak era
    5. She is young, and some feel she has potential to be a lot better and a medal winner someday (whether this is true or not remains to be seen)

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Coltrocks12 View Post
    I think she is a meh skater, but she has potential. I don't see anything special here either. I much prefer Gracie, the Russian gals, and some of the Asian ladies.
    I think Katelyn is the most exciting newcomer out of all the young Russia, American and Asian girls. She has this "it" factor - similar to Mirai Nagasu - that cannot be acquired. Her skating is fun to watch and she sure knows how to entertain.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast