Canada’s Osmond seeks redemptive season | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Canada’s Osmond seeks redemptive season

coolboogie22

Match Penalty
I know there are some major fans of hers in this forum, but I can't say I have ever been impressed by any of her performances I have seen. Can any fans explain what they find special about her? I'm genuinely curious. Would be happy to watch some 'best of' performances, too.

With her SP from last season:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a8PFf9VBzfg
It is impossible to not like her.
This program is contagious :love:
Her joy, speed and energy, makes us forget that this is a competition.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
With her SP from last season:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a8PFf9VBzfg
It is impossible to not like her.
This program is contagious :love:
Her joy, speed and energy, makes us forget that this is a competition.

That's the sign of a wonderful skater... they're delivering a performance, and not merely reeling off elements. Even when Osmond makes errors she doesn't let the performance go, and that's a rare quality as not just a competitor but also as a performer.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
But her free skates---not so much, that's when it becomes element after element, her skating looks 'heavy', and she loses the performance towards the end.

Maybe this coming season she will put in enough practice time on her free skate to build up the stamina she needs to get through it without all the stumbles and stepouts.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
She already has been in the 2012-2013 season. ;) With the dropouts and likely a healthier year (hopefully), a top 10 finish should be easy for her this year. Top 5 will be much harder to crack, but she has the potential I think.

But her free skates---not so much, that's when it becomes element after element, her skating looks 'heavy', and she loses the performance towards the end.

Maybe this coming season she will put in enough practice time on her free skate to build up the stamina she needs to get through it without all the stumbles and stepouts.

I agree that with freeskates, there's a lot greater focus on the elements and she has a tendency to make errors and lose the performance. With greater stamina, she can certainly create freeskates that maintain character and energy from start to finish. I'd also like to see her try something classical that relies more on nuance and grace rather than showmanship (which clearly she's more comfortable with).

skateluver

Rinkside
I think she is very talented!! She has the goods to make it all the way to the top. She has great preforming skills and all the technical goods. On top of it she is beautiful to watch. I hope she gives the Russian girls and Gracie run for their money this year and stays healthy!!

Coltrocks12

On the Ice
I think she is a meh skater, but she has potential. I don't see anything special here either. I much prefer Gracie, the Russian gals, and some of the Asian ladies.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
With the dropouts and likely a healthier year (hopefully), a top 10 finish should be easy for her this year. Top 5 will be much harder to crack, but she has the potential I think.

There are more additions to replace the dropouts---e.g. Radionova, and Sotnikova will be back. It isn't going to get any easier, especially with the bigger flutz and lip deductions.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
I know there are some major fans of hers in this forum, but I can't say I have ever been impressed by any of her performances I have seen. Can any fans explain what they find special about her? I'm genuinely curious. Would be happy to watch some 'best of' performances, too.

I think her popularity stems from:

1. She is a pretty girl
2. She is a very nice person
3. Her style is flirtatious, fun, spontaneous, and just fun to watch regardless of its scoring merit or objective standard
4. She is a pretty good skater, and being a Canadian ladies single that is even pretty good is a rather rare and exciting thing in the last 20 years. Really only Rochette is a better skater in the post Chouinard years, regardless how many Canadian titles Robinson won in a weak era
5. She is young, and some feel she has potential to be a lot better and a medal winner someday (whether this is true or not remains to be seen)

Becki

Medalist
I think she is a meh skater, but she has potential. I don't see anything special here either. I much prefer Gracie, the Russian gals, and some of the Asian ladies.

I think Katelyn is the most exciting newcomer out of all the young Russia, American and Asian girls. She has this "it" factor - similar to Mirai Nagasu - that cannot be acquired. Her skating is fun to watch and she sure knows how to entertain.

Alba

Record Breaker

I agree with you. The FS was "heavy" and she lost the performance, too many errors also. But I hope it was because of her injury.
I expect much more from her the coming season.

Coltrocks12

On the Ice
I still think Kaitlyn is an average skater. She isn't the worst, but she isn't the best. Again she has potential and maybe injury free she can lose some of the sluggishness people are seeing in her. She is pretty. I hope that if she is nice maybe that will set an example as a roll model to younger skaters. I think a little bit of nice is a good thing for skating.

noskates

Record Breaker
Came back and re-read this thread and I'm glad some of you posters got what I meant and agreed about "heavy!" It certainly wasn't meant as a comment about her body. I will say this though. I have very dear friends who are Canadian and figure skater fans and they are SO happy that a Canadian woman is showing promise. For that alone I would root for her.

Globetrotter

Medalist
She is indeed lovely and entertaining to watch and a natural performer on ice. However, figure skating is still a sport. She does not have a true lutz, no real 3-3s, the showmanship in the SP does not translate so well in the FS perhaps due to her lack of stamina. Lets face it. Under CoP, you win by having attack, big jumps, power and athleticism. Even an etheral skater like Kostner without the big jumps has the ability to go full speed into her jumps and have some of the best basic skating skills and deep secure edges which gain lots of points in the PCS. I am afraid that KO just does not have the technical goods yet to challenge the Russian youngsters, although I think she will be the best exhibition and show skater of her generation.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
She is indeed lovely and entertaining to watch and a natural performer on ice. However, figure skating is still a sport. She does not have a true lutz, no real 3-3s, the showmanship in the SP does not translate so well in the FS perhaps due to her lack of stamina. Lets face it. Under CoP, you win by having attack, big jumps, power and athleticism. Even an etheral skater like Kostner without the big jumps has the ability to go full speed into her jumps and have some of the best basic skating skills and deep secure edges which gain lots of points in the PCS. I am afraid that KO just does not have the technical goods yet to challenge the Russian youngsters, although I think she will be the best exhibition and show skater of her generation.

To be fair, there are lots of skaters who don't have a true lutz (or flip) and have inconsistency with their 3-3. It's a bit misleading to say Osmond has no real 3-3 when she's done the 3T+3T several times, and also landed her 3F+3T in her most recent competition. She has the technical goods, but her consistency needs to improve. She gets lots of speed and her jumps are big and she does transitions into them, however she doesn't always control the axis of her jumps or check out solidly which leads to errors.

As far as challenging the Russian youngsters, that's a tall order for any skater, seeing as how 3Z+3T is the standard for them and half loop 3S combos now. You just need to look at the protocol for Russian JUNIOR Nationals to realise that every country/skater is pretty much screwed at the moment. The only exception could be Edmunds, IMO, who just might have the technical ambitiousness to keep up with them. Park has yet to prove herself beyond her stellar Worlds, Li and Gold need to gain more consistency, Wagner has 3-3 issues, and Osmond herself is battling consistency/injury issues.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
What makes Osmond more vulnerable is that she lacks the loop and therefore has less choice in her jump repertory. By doing 3f+3t, 3ze, 2a in her SP, under the new rules Osmond could get a huge edge deduction that reduces the value of the lutz to that of a mediocre salchow. Gold doesn't do the flip in her SP but instead does 3z+3t, 3lo, 2a. Kaetlyn doesn't have that option, and doing a 3s instead of the 3z isn't a satisfactory solution.

Osmond needs to place as high as possible in the SP because without a clean lutz and no loop, her FS doesn't have the technical content to challenge the top skaters.