Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: Kim Yu-na takes part in coaching workshop

  1. #1
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    228

    Kim Yu-na takes part in coaching workshop

    Kim Yu-na Gets Coaching Qualification
    http://english.chosun.com/site/data/...072801684.html

  2. #2
    Custom Title Franklin99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    132
    Quote Originally Posted by Taan View Post
    Kim Yu-na Gets Coaching Qualification
    http://english.chosun.com/site/data/...072801684.html
    I didn't know that you can get a coaching qualification that fast.

  3. #3
    Yuna's Ice Rink cooper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    1,196
    Quote Originally Posted by Franklin99 View Post
    I didn't know that you can get a coaching qualification that fast.
    yeah.. the title of that article was misleading.. she attended a coaching/judging seminar and all attendees got a certification... that's all..

  4. #4
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    253
    God, it's just TWO days workshop, nothing more

    She will be attending a graduate school at Korea university coming September.

  5. #5
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    285
    Quote Originally Posted by nguyenghita View Post
    God, it's just TWO days workshop, nothing more

    She will be attending a graduate school at Korea university coming September.
    Oh was there an announcement? I heard that she would hear by June whether or not she would be attending graduate school but didn't hear about anything after. Congrats to her then.

    And it says it's only domestic competitions as a coach so I guess in South Korea only. I'd like to see her coach young Korean skaters though, when she won Worlds in 2013 she called them her "little Korean skaters" and it was really endearing

  6. #6
    Yuna's Ice Rink cooper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    1,196
    Quote Originally Posted by Krunchii View Post
    Oh was there an announcement? I heard that she would hear by June whether or not she would be attending graduate school but didn't hear about anything after. Congrats to her then.

    And it says it's only domestic competitions as a coach so I guess in South Korea only. I'd like to see her coach young Korean skaters though, when she won Worlds in 2013 she called them her "little Korean skaters" and it was really endearing
    ATS was asked by the media about yuna attending the graduate school in sept.. and they said that she will..

    as for coaching.. well she stayed in la last june together w/ park, hae jin and da bin choi.. there were reports that she was coaching them.. maybe helping them..but yuna said one of her interviews last year that she will not be a good coach because she doesn't have the patience.. so who knows..

  7. #7
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    285
    Quote Originally Posted by cooper View Post
    ATS was asked by the media about yuna attending the graduate school in sept.. and they said that she will..

    as for coaching.. well she stayed in la last june together w/ park, hae jin and da bin choi.. there were reports that she was coaching them.. maybe helping them..but yuna said one of her interviews last year that she will not be a good coach because she doesn't have the patience.. so who knows..
    Alright thanks, and even if she doesn't become a full time coach she could always be a good mentor to younger skaters, I'm sure she still wants to be involved with developing FS in Korea

  8. #8
    Yuna's Ice Rink cooper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    1,196
    Quote Originally Posted by Krunchii View Post
    Alright thanks, and even if she doesn't become a full time coach she could always be a good mentor to younger skaters, I'm sure she still wants to be involved with developing FS in Korea
    yes she is...

    the only problem is the Korean skating union..

  9. #9
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    223
    Is Yuna still going to skate at shows? Will there be more All That Skate shows in the future?

  10. #10
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    253
    Quote Originally Posted by glam View Post
    Is Yuna still going to skate at shows? Will there be more All That Skate shows in the future?
    As far as I know All That Skate will be continued next year with its usual schedule (Spring & Summer shows). Yuna is the ATS's main theme all years so it's impossible for the show without her, so yes, she will skate in her show.

  11. #11
    Rejoicing in the land of Kwan kwanatic's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    1,496
    Quote Originally Posted by Krunchii View Post
    Alright thanks, and even if she doesn't become a full time coach she could always be a good mentor to younger skaters, I'm sure she still wants to be involved with developing FS in Korea
    I think that would be a great role for her. Yu-Na, with her successes and experiences, would be a better mentor than coach...at least at this stage in her life. Mentors are essentially coaches; just not in the stand-by-the-boards-at-competitions/there-at-practice-every-day/tell-you-what-to-do-and-how-to-do-it way. She's been there and done it all--that kind of experience is invaluable. I'm sure she wants to move on with certain aspects of her life outside of skating, so not being 100% tied to a skater as a coach is probably the best bet. She's able to stay connected with the sport but, unlike an actual coach, it won't be her absolute focus. She'll have time and freedom to other things. Maybe in the future if she wants to take up a full-time coaching position she can; but for now I get the sense that she wants a life outside of figure skating, at least for a little bit.

  12. #12
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    966
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanatic View Post
    I think that would be a great role for her. Yu-Na, with her successes and experiences, would be a better mentor than coach...at least at this stage in her life. Mentors are essentially coaches; just not in the stand-by-the-boards-at-competitions/there-at-practice-every-day/tell-you-what-to-do-and-how-to-do-it way. She's been there and done it all--that kind of experience is invaluable. I'm sure she wants to move on with certain aspects of her life outside of skating, so not being 100% tied to a skater as a coach is probably the best bet. She's able to stay connected with the sport but, unlike an actual coach, it won't be her absolute focus. She'll have time and freedom to other things. Maybe in the future if she wants to take up a full-time coaching position she can; but for now I get the sense that she wants a life outside of figure skating, at least for a little bit.
    Yes, thank you! Mentoring is key, and they'll likely depend on her heavily since she remains the ONLY top-level elite skater her country has ever produced. (Check in on So-Youn Park in a few months' time ...)

  13. #13
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    285
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanatic View Post
    I think that would be a great role for her. Yu-Na, with her successes and experiences, would be a better mentor than coach...at least at this stage in her life. Mentors are essentially coaches; just not in the stand-by-the-boards-at-competitions/there-at-practice-every-day/tell-you-what-to-do-and-how-to-do-it way. She's been there and done it all--that kind of experience is invaluable. I'm sure she wants to move on with certain aspects of her life outside of skating, so not being 100% tied to a skater as a coach is probably the best bet. She's able to stay connected with the sport but, unlike an actual coach, it won't be her absolute focus. She'll have time and freedom to other things. Maybe in the future if she wants to take up a full-time coaching position she can; but for now I get the sense that she wants a life outside of figure skating, at least for a little bit.
    Yeah everything I get from Yuna right now is that she'd like to live a normal life for a while without all the attention and pressure, I don't blame her for that. She went with So-Youn to LA so I guess she's already started getting involved. I remember in 2010 she said that she had felt some comfort in having a former Olympic medalist as her coach because he's been there done that. If she's there for younger Korean skaters I'm sure it'll be a good boost of confidence for them.

  14. #14
    On the Ice
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    43
    One of her former coach interviewed that Yuna already has been teaching younger skaters as a skater with seniority but she's not sure about becoming a coach yet. She just wanted to learn the new discipline to help others out better. The coach also said that Yuna has been showing how to do her skills twice a week and it helped them a lot.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •