Who will push the technical edge in Ladies FS? | Page 7 | Golden Skate

Who will push the technical edge in Ladies FS?

Meoima

Match Penalty
And the height she gets on some of them! :clap: When she was at her best, she skated with so much exuberance -- I loved that about her.
She still jumps extremely high now, for a 44 years old skater! I mean, can we name Midori Ito the demi-god of jumping! :bow:

pec0

Match Penalty
To break curse of K and push technical edge, one contestant is not enough. There should be more than one challenger and dreamer from more than one countries, or she shall be insulted, mocked and disgraced by corrupt judges. This is insight from sochi.

Meoima

Match Penalty
To break curse of K and push technical edge, one contestant is not enough. There should be more than one challenger and dreamer from more than one countries, or she shall be insulted, mocked and disgraced by corrupt judges. This is insight from sochi.
Can you PLEASE STOP!!!!!! :bang: seriously some Yuna fans never forget, and some of her rivals' fans never forget, too. I am fed up with you guys. just stop! You guys are not children!

NMURA

Medalist
We're already in the era of 7 triples. Ladies with anything less than that won't be treated as top skaters. Chan heralded the new quad era for men. Men have no option to avoid the quad to compete at the top. So are ladies. At the time of Vancouver Olympics, four ladies had 7 triples programs (Rochette, Suzuki, Leonova, Flatt). At Sochi, it was ... more than 12. They don't have an option to omit jumps which they are not good at. The 7 triples era for ladies was not opened by Sotnikova alone. This tide is irreversible. When everyone is doing 7 triples, something extra is necessary to lead the pack.

pec0

Match Penalty
Im not a child. Im not good at English. Japanese people are not good at English. Sorry..:confused:

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
We're already in the era of 7 triples. Ladies with anything less than that won't be treated as top skaters. Chan heralded the new quad era for men. Men have no option to avoid the quad to compete at the top. So are ladies. At the time of Vancouver Olympics, four ladies had 7 triples programs (Rochette, Suzuki, Leonova, Flatt). At Sochi, it was ... more than 12. They don't have an option to omit jumps which they are not good at. The 7 triples era for ladies was not opened by Sotnikova alone. This tide is irreversible. When everyone is doing 7 triples, something extra is necessary to lead the pack.
Umm... Chan didn't bring the quad to men's skating, and the Russian ladies didn't bring in the 7-triple LP. The quad was pushed by Stojko back in the '90s, and the 7-triple LP by Michelle Kwan and her contemporaries (Kurt and Midori, respectively, did the elements first, but they didn't really inspire other skaters in their own era to do the same). The number of Olympic quads landed still hasn't surpassed SLC.

Quad and seven triples got pushed back under COP because with the way points worked, you could win without them. Also, a variety of factors led to people being successful without quad/seven triples: the quad guys--Lambiel and Joubert--struggled somewhat after Torino, leaving the door open for quadless guys like Buttle, Lysacek, and even Chan himself to set the anti-quad trend. Yuna was a GOE and 3-3 phenomenon, making up for her lack of a loop. The quad and 7-triple LP came back after the fallout from Vancouver (quad's value raised, GOE becomes less of a factor). All Chan and the Russian ladies did was follow the trend, since they wanted to win. They certainly weren't the ones to create the rule changes. The quad and 7-triple LP were going to come back, no matter who led the charge.

EDIT: In fact, I'd argue the 7-triple LP never really left. Yuna was just an exception, due to her unmatched jump quality and 3-3s.

Franklin99

Medalist

And yet, Yuna never placed off the podium with her 6 triple programs.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
Umm... Chan didn't bring the quad to men's skating, and the Russian ladies didn't bring in the 7-triple LP.

As you full well know I am no Chan fan, but I would have to agree he brought the quad back in mens skating, or atleast as a must to win. It was only 6 months before Chan's 2-3 year dominance of the sport began that Evan Lysacek, a skater without even exceptional artistry, super quality jumps, or exceptional spins or footwork, won Olympic gold without a quad. The mens competition in Vancouver was dire, with barely any successful quads, and the few that were made by skaters with empty programs, with an old and way past his prime Plushenko the best of that small lot. Chan a skater with top notch skating skills, very good (and overmarked) artistry, excellent footwork, and reasonable spins, putting quads into his program, ensured such a thing would never happen again. A skater of his caliber doing quads, meant others now had to do quads to even stand a chance of winning. Chan did bring the quad back to mens skating, and make it a must to hope to win mens events again. Now the field has thankfully turned the page on the fall happy Chan and made it so you not only need quads, but need to avoid falling 3 or more times per program and winning, so we have taken the next step to restoring mens skating yet again, but Chan did lead the way to the first one.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
As you full well know I am no Chan fan, but I would have to agree he brought the quad back in mens skating, or atleast as a must to win. It was only 6 months before Chan's 2-3 year dominance of the sport began that Evan Lysacek, a skater without even exceptional artistry, super quality jumps, or exceptional spins or footwork, won Olympic gold without a quad. The mens competition in Vancouver was dire, with barely any successful quads, and the few that were made by skaters with empty programs, with an old and way past his prime Plushenko the best of that small lot. Chan a skater with top notch skating skills, very good (and overmarked) artistry, excellent footwork, and reasonable spins, putting quads into his program, ensured such a thing would never happen again. A skater of his caliber doing quads, meant others now had to do quads to even stand a chance of winning. Chan did bring the quad back to mens skating, and make it a must to hope to win mens events again. Now the field has thankfully turned the page on the fall happy Chan and made it so you not only need quads, but need to avoid falling 3 or more times per program and winning, so we have taken the next step to restoring mens skating yet again, but Chan did lead the way to the first one.
Yes and now thanks to Patrick we get the Mens event in Sochi which had everyone trying quads and falling on their asses in one of the worst Mens competition in Olympic history. Not sure that is progress either.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
Yes and now thanks to Patrick we get the Mens event in Sochi which had everyone trying quads and falling on their asses in one of the worst Mens competition in Olympic history. Not sure that is progress either.

It is the seeds of progress. I am glad as heck the quad is a must to win now, especialy for a non special type skater like Evan. I would have rather the Sochi mess than the horror of something like a quadless Lysacek winning again. Once he saw in his comeback delayed by injuries, he would not be able to get the quad back he didnt even bother going to Nationals, as he knew without the quad there was no hope for him, even in a splatty event like Sochi. Thank goodness for that. As with all seeds there growing pains before the blooming. Mens skating, especialy the technical side, reached such a dark low in Vancouver, it wont perk back up overnight, but the re-infusion of the quad was the start, and a mens event at worlds almost devoid of falls by the medalists and top skaters after years of Chan splatty wins was the next step.

Alba

Record Breaker
It is the seeds of progress. I am glad as heck the quad is a must to win now, especialy for a non special type skater like Evan. I would have rather the Sochi mess than the horror of something like a quadless Lysacek winning again. Once he saw in his comeback delayed by injuries, he would not be able to get the quad back he didnt even bother going to Nationals, as he knew without the quad there was no hope for him, even in a splatty event like Sochi. Thank goodness for that. As with all seeds there growing pains before the blooming. Mens skating, especialy the technical side, reached such a dark low in Vancouver, it wont perk back up overnight, but the re-infusion of the quad was the start, and a mens event at worlds almost devoid of falls by the medalists and top skaters after years of Chan splatty wins was the next step.

I agree.

jace93

On the Ice

As well as world 2014... that was arguably the best male competition of the last 8 year...

Meoima

Match Penalty
I think in Sochi the schedule killed men event. All had difficult layouts but they had little time to rest. They had to stay up very late after the SP, then woke up very early for practice, then performed their LP right after. In Saitama they all had one day to rest between SP and LP, despite 4 hours on bus a day from hotel to the arena.

jimeonji

Final Flight
I think in Sochi the schedule killed men event. All had difficult layouts but they had little time to rest. They had to stay up very late after the SP, then woke up very early for practice, then performed their LP right after. In Saitama they all had one day to rest between SP and LP, despite 4 hours on bus a day from hotel to the arena.
But then again, the top 3 ladies were all clean and most did 3-3s and had 7 triple programs. Did the ladies event follow the same time schedule? Could it just be the Olympic pressure that was not present at Worlds?

Meoima

Match Penalty
But then again, the top 3 ladies were all clean and most did 3-3s and had 7 triple programs. Did the ladies event follow the same time schedule? Could it just be the Olympic pressure that was not present at Worlds?
Ladies have no quad and any 3A except Mao. Top men have 2-3 quads and 3As in their programs.

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
There were plenty of splatty men's competitions over the past four years. I don't see Sochi as an aberration. While the schedule didn't help, I don't think it was only due to the Team Event. The men have always been more splatty than the women, even during 6.0 (see 1998 and 2000 Worlds). Sochi was an unfortunate case that happened at the Olympics, but it's hardly a surprise considering what happened in the build-up.

I still believe the rule changes were what brought back the quad. It made the quad greater reward and lower risk. Chan himself now needed the quad to win (especially with his not-ideal triple axel), so quad it was for him. He certainly wouldn't have won any of his titles if he'd skated with no quad and a constantly unclean 3A. His closest competitor, Dai, would've gone for the quad no matter what Chan did, so I wouldn't say Chan brought back the quad.

EDIT: To simplify things: I think the quad would've been needed to win competitions for the last four years even if Patrick Chan didn't exist. Whereas, if Elvis Stojko didn't exist, I'm not sure where we'd be today. Probably quad-ing anyway, occasionally, but we definitely wouldn't have had the golden SLC age.