Who will push the technical edge in Ladies FS? | Page 10 | Golden Skate

Who will push the technical edge in Ladies FS?

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
It's ludicrous to suggest Kim played it safe or didn't technically push the sport, simply because she avoided a 3L to protect her back. She did two of the hardest 3-3 combos and a 2A-3T with ease and made the rest of her skatin look effortless and beautiful.

Globetrotter

Medalist
It's ludicrous to suggest Kim played it safe or didn't technically push the sport, simply because she avoided a 3L to protect her back. She did two of the hardest 3-3 combos and a 2A-3T with ease and made the rest of her skatin look effortless and beautiful.

Hmm I don't think anybody will dispute Yuna Kim's contribution. While she didn't push any specific elements, I think it suffices to say she pushed for delivering a simpler but high quality execution programme, thus using GOE points to make up for lower BV. Delivering clean programmes also mean you can get better PCS. Skating with speed into the jumps and keeping the speed flowing out also goes well under CoP. Yup, so to me thats her major contribution. I think why people found favour with Kim rather than Asada as she represented a more realistic and achievable form of skating. Asada and her 3A and 3F3R craziness is one of a kind talent and not likely to be replicated even if one trains like mad. It is also the same reason why Ito vs Yamaguchi where the former is a once off wonderkind while the latter appears more humanly possible to identify with.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The thread title is who will push the technical edge. Since Yuna is retiring I'm not sure why she is being brought into the discussion unless of course we discuss her potential future impact as a coach.

NMURA

Medalist
The thread title is who will push the technical edge. Since Yuna is retiring I'm not sure why she is being brought into the discussion unless of course we discuss her potential future impact as a coach.

The departure of the defeated "queen" shall pronounce the end of "play it safe". In this sense, Kim will be remembered as a thing of the past. Just like Evan Lysacek for men's.

AliceInWonderland

On the Ice
The departure of the defeated "queen" shall pronounce the end of "play it safe". In this sense, Kim will be remembered as a thing of the past. Just like Evan Lysacek for men's.

Did you just compare Yuna to Lysacek? Do you have a death wish?

In all seriousness, I think Yuna is a far better skater than Lysacek could ever hope to be and has had a much greater impact.

Trolling, but quite unsuccessful. All skaters of the past will be remembered as skaters of the past. Kim will be remembered as a great skater of the past -- one who never missed a podium.

Lysacek will be remembered as World and Olympic Champion.

Last edited:

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker

In all seriousness, I think Yuna is a far better skater than Lysacek could ever hope to be and has had a much greater impact.

One can really just hope that nobody is going to take NMURAs Yuna related posts seriously. Comparing her to Lysacek makes even me angry, and she isn't even one of my favorite skaters. It doesn't take a fanboy to see that Yuna is one of the greatest skaters of all time :unsure:

FSGMT

Record Breaker
No, of course Yu-Na's technical level in Ladies is not as low as Lysacek's was in Men: let's just remember that a SP with 3Lz, 3F and 3T (with either 3F+3T or 3Lz+3T) is still the most difficult layout in the world in Ladies for anyone but Mao (who won't be probably competing anymore), and it is what Yu-Na has been planning since 2005

Macassar88

Medalist

Yeah no contest
Yuna if you adjust her PCS actually beat Evan's FS in vancouver even without adding the extra jump.

aromaticchicken

On the Ice
No, of course Yu-Na's technical level in Ladies is not as low as Lysacek's was in Men: let's just remember that a SP with 3Lz, 3F and 3T (with either 3F+3T or 3Lz+3T) is still the most difficult layout in the world in Ladies for anyone but Mao (who won't be probably competing anymore), and it is what Yu-Na has been planning since 2005
Thank you! I don't understand why people are devaluing her technical prowess. Sure she skated safe at sochi, but it wasn't only her PCS and GOE that gave her wins, her technical content was always one of the most difficult alongside Mao, with one of the best 3lz - 3t in women's skating history up until the new crop started making that 3-3 rather ordinary.

I'm not even a hardcore Yuna fan, I usually root for Mao and even have taken a liking to Ashley, but it's ludicrous to say Yuna wasn't on top of her game (and above the competition) technically with BV for the majority of her career.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Thank you! I don't understand why people are devaluing her technical prowess. Sure she skated safe at sochi, but it wasn't only her PCS and GOE that gave her wins, her technical content was always one of the most difficult alongside Mao, with one of the best 3lz - 3t in women's skating history up until the new crop started making that 3-3 rather ordinary.

I'm not even a hardcore Yuna fan, I usually root for Mao and even have taken a liking to Ashley, but it's ludicrous to say Yuna wasn't on top of her game (and above the competition) technically with BV for the majority of her career.
Yuna's 3lz-3t was anything but ordinary. The new girls only wish their 3-3 was nearly as good. No one comes close to Yuna's 3-3 in terms of speed going into it and the flow coming out of it.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I hope Mirai lands a 3a and soon so we can stop talking about skaters who aren't going to be around to push the technical edge of skating. My money is on Adelina still but who knows really. So many girls are at the forefront of the technical limitations of the sport that nothing would really surprise me.

Does anyone even keep tabs on Maé-Bérénice Méité? With her power I could see her doing both 3a and quad jumps.

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
:rofl: Yuna is female Lysacek? Well, yeah, in the sense that his hardest 3-3 is the same as hers, and his hardest 3A combination was something Mao Asada could do.

(Sorry, I probably shouldn't reply, but this is too hilarious).

Barb

Record Breaker
I hope Mirai lands a 3a and soon so we can stop talking about skaters who aren't going to be around to push the technical edge of skating. My money is on Adelina still but who knows really. So many girls are at the forefront of the technical limitations of the sport that nothing would really surprise me.

Does anyone even keep tabs on Maé-Bérénice Méité? With her power I could see her doing both 3a and quad jumps.

One random 3a is not enough, it will be relevant if she to land it in some competitions.

aromaticchicken

On the Ice
Correction: none of the jumps (no matter if it's a triple axel or a quad lutz) will be relevant if someone attempts and/or lands them if they don't *win* competitions with it. Otherwise why push the technical score if you're still winning on GOE?

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
^Agreed. I wouldn't say Brandon Mroz pushed the technical side of FS simply 'cause he did quad lutz. Whereas Yuna's 3-3 has been instrumental to pushing the 3-3 in ladies FS. I think Mao had a certain impact because of some rule changes she created, but it remains to be seen if anyone after her will attempt 3A.