Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 LastLast

Thread: Who will push the technical edge in Ladies FS?

Hate fake smiles and horrendous costumes Meoima's Avatar
    Clear water has no fish.

Custom Title
    At the end of every Olympic circles, people tend to drop the veteran skaters like a sack of potatoes. Who knows what will happen in the future. For good or bad every sports evolve in some way. But the accomplished athletes deserve some recognitions in their own rights. Yuna and Mao are the best of their era. End of story.

Next phase definitely will be very interesting. Russian already have solid team. US's new bloods look promising. Korea has So-Youn and Hae-jin plus Da Bin Choi. Being part of OG team in their own country will be a big boost for their determinations. Japanese men are super secure now. Hope to see more of the promising new faces from the European side too.

Quote Originally Posted by NMURA View Post
    Kim hasn't push the boudary at all. She came out with "6 triples" when everyone is doing 7 triples, and expected to "win" as long as skating "cleanly". Kim is the symbol of "play it safe". Its defeat marks the arrival of the new era.
    yeah.. because the 7 triple program with questionable technique just to show everyone "OMG it's a 7 triple program..yada yada.." is the real definition of pushing the boundary..

i guess quality and consistency doesn't count..

Quote Originally Posted by cooper View Post
    yeah.. because the 7 triple program with questionable technique just to show everyone "OMG it's a 7 triple program..yada yada.." is the real definition of pushing the boundary..

Well consistency shouldn't. It's about how you do on the night.

But in response to the question - I worry that Liza won't want to increase the mental load of her programs by adding a 3A yet.

Maybe Adelina with the quad? Her triple toe is huge.

Quote Originally Posted by NMURA View Post
    Kim hasn't push the boudary at all. She came out with "6 triples" when everyone is doing 7 triples, and expected to "win" as long as skating "cleanly". Kim is the symbol of "play it safe". Its defeat marks the arrival of the new era.
    Mao hasn't either. She won silver in 2010 with 4 triples. Hardly a push

Hate fake smiles and horrendous costumes Meoima's Avatar
    Not fan of 2 ladies and I find you guys utterly funny to watch.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Icey View Post
    And Americans are not good at Japanese-----and, too often, even English. You need not apologize
    Thanks. You are very kind

Quote Originally Posted by Macassar88 View Post
    Well consistency shouldn't. It's about how you do on the night.

But in response to the question - I worry that Liza won't want to increase the mental load of her programs by adding a 3A yet.

Maybe Adelina with the quad? Her triple toe is huge.
    yeah.. like one hit wonder..

Custom Title

I think Yuna did indeed choose the "play it safe" strategy. I'm not saying that this was a bad strategy, it worked very well for her, but she didn't push the technical side of ladies figure skating at all. Again, I'm not saying that this was a bad thing, Yuna had a wonderful career, no one can deny that.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Melon View Post
    Mao hasn't either. She won silver in 2010 with 4 triples. Hardly a push
    Mao did the 3A. If that's not a push, I don't know what is.

Banned

A skater can have double jumps always peformed in high quality.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by AliceInWonderland View Post
    Mao did the 3A. If that's not a push, I don't know what is.
    Two 3A and one in combo? Btw who else besides Mao perfomed a trixel in combo? Midori?

skating philosopher
    Perhaps in the last few years she did not push the technical side of ladies skating, but I think we have to remember that in the previous quad 2006-2010, SHE was pushing the technical boundaries despite not doing a 3Lo. She was one of the few Ladies skaters during the quad to do a 3-3 AND a 2A-3T consistently. Not only that she mastered two different 3-3 (3F-3T and 3Z-3T).

During that quad, Mao and Miki Ando were probably the only skaters who had harder technical elements (and in the later half, Miki stopped doing those elements).

And in 2010 Olympics, Yuna DID have the highest BV.

I suppose if Yuna "played it safe" during the 2010-2014 quad, I would think it was more because of the need to make sure she didn't re-injure herself. She was super prone to injuries during the 2006-2010 quad and I think it was probably smart of her not to overdo it.

Ultimately, I don't think most people, save for a few fans, will look back at Yuna's career as playing it safe at all.
    Last edited by Mrs. P; 07-14-2014 at 06:54 PM.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by mich2 View Post
    Two 3A and one in combo? Btw who else besides Mao perfomed a trixel in combo? Midori?
    How quickly we forget:
    Tonya Harding was the first to complete a triple axel combination with the double toe loop.

Mao was practicing her 3A all her life, as her 2a, 3f, etc. she dedicated a lot of her time to the 3a, who else does that???, really, no one, even if they dont want to say it, it is not private practice, people would be seeing, I doubt someone of the new top figure skaters practice a 3a or quad like other basic element, if we are lucky we will be watching a 3a in 7-10 years, but not Gracie, Adelina, Mirai, Elena, Ana or Julia. So dont worry, they wont do it, all of you can be happy and relaxed, this girls can push the artistic side or at their best to try to do the most perfect 3-3

Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 LastLast