Who will push the technical edge in Ladies FS? | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Who will push the technical edge in Ladies FS?

pec0

Match Penalty
Why someone should push the technical edge? No one should. 3A is nothing but curse. Behold, now is kimyuna era. Also it's time GOE king was rising from KOR. It's unfair and racism that only men are expected to push technical edge.

NMURA

Medalist
Yes GOE is always swayed by whims of the judges as seen in Sochi. So is the PCS. Only BV is the reliable thing. With a retirement of the low BV "queen", they should know which path to follow.

pec0

Match Penalty
Yes GOE is always swayed by whims of the judges as seen in Sochi. So is the PCS. Only BV is the reliable thing. With a retirement of the low BV "queen", they should know which path to follow.

BV? WHat is BV? No one knows such a thing.:)

NMURA

Medalist
BV means the 7 triples program which is impossible for kimyuna. That will be the de facto standard for top ladies in this quad. and adding the extra trick is the key to make a difference (between good and great). Even at junior words, all ladies in the top 8 had 7 triples free programs and about a half of them did complete.

Just for clarification, what is a 3R?

R stands for (Werner) Rittberger, the German skater who is given credit for inventing the loop jump. 3R instead of 3Lo is ofter used in Europe.

Thanks for posting. I'm sorry I missed the chance to welcome you when you posted in the music thread, so I will do so now. :)

Why someone should push the technical edge? No one should. 3A is nothing but curse. Behold, now is kimyuna era. Also it's time GOE king was rising from KOR. It's unfair and racism that only men are expected to push technical edge.

Elvis has left the building.

pec0

Match Penalty
BV means the 7 triples program which is impossible for kimyuna. That will be the de facto standard for top ladies in this quad. and adding the extra trick is the key to make a difference (between good and great). Even at junior words, all ladies in the top 8 had 7 triples free programs and about a half of them did complete.

As preceding comments pointed out that 7 triples did not beat the Queen. Korean judges and friends Cinq can make use of anonymous judge system. Obviously trend is simpler lovelier and prettier.

NMURA

Medalist
As preceding comments pointed out that 7 triples did not beat the Queen. Korean judges and friends Cinq can make use of anonymous judge system. Obviously trend is simpler lovelier and prettier.

Don't you remember 6 triples were beaten by 7 triples fair and square? If the low BV "queen" was daring enough, she could make a challenge again. These days, the meager 6 triples even can't win JGP events, though.

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
Mao definitely had a connection with the triple axel, which is why she never let go of it no matter what results it led to. Judging by the recent interview posted on her Fan Fest thread, what she's been chasing since Vancouver was her dream program. And there's no way Mao Asada's dream program can exist without a triple axel.

It's true, I dunno if any of the Russian girls will feel that need to include it in their programs. Maybe Liza, if she feels like she needs it to move up in the standings. If Mao returns, perhaps her presence can push the other girls to do 3A.

pec0

Match Penalty
Don't you remember 6 triples were beaten by 7 triples fair and square? If the low BV "queen" was daring enough, she could make a challenge again. These days, the meager 6 triples even can't win JGP events, though.

Asada challenged herself but pretty much laughed at as you know. Asada is so vain, childish and stubborn. I think Asada did well to show the technical edge and possibility of the sport, so there is no need for other skaters anymore to take such risk. Skaters to compete at international events have responsibility as representative of mother country. If 6 triples and more back crossing to gain speed can win, it is just good. There will be lower risk of injury.

Lucky Star

Final Flight
Maybe Adelina could try 3A, on Russian Olympic broadcast they compared elements of different skaters (jumps for singles, throws and twists for pairs) and measured height and distance. They compared Mao's 3A and Adelina's 2A, Adelina's jump was higher, so it seems she has an ability to at least try. But I'm not sure if she needs that, IMO, first she needs to work on her 3F-3T to put it in programs (it looked good at Olympic practices), but if she ever wants to try something like 3A or quad - next season is the best time to do it. She has a reputation and PCS advantage over someone like Radionova or Pogorilaya to still make the team even if she isn't always clean and other youngsters are still in juniors. Maybe Liza if she gets herself together could try 3A (and she needs it more than Adelina), but I'm not sure about her. My bet is on someone like Gubanova, she is very young, but her jumps are huge and technically correct, or Tsurskaya, they will need difficulty when they are eligible to make the team, because competition in Russia is only going to get harder.
As for Americans, Gold has an ability, but I don't think it will happen under Carroll. Mirai - no, I don't believe she could land and get it ratified, she has trouble to even rotate her triples. As for Japanese, I'm not sure about younger ones like Honda, but older girls have a lot of technical issues and flawed technique. Even Mao mostly needed her 3A to cover her lack of consistent 3-3 and her UR issues (and still she lost to Yuna who didn't even have 3Lo, let alone 3A, but had a consistent 3Lz-3T and other jumps)

pec0

Match Penalty
Maybe Adelina could try 3A, on Russian Olympic broadcast they compared elements of different skaters (jumps for singles, throws and twists for pairs) and measured height and distance. They compared Mao's 3A and Adelina's 2A, Adelina's jump was higher, so it seems she has an ability to at least try. But I'm not sure if she needs that, IMO, first she needs to work on her 3F-3T to put it in programs (it looked good at Olympic practices), but if she ever wants to try something like 3A or quad - next season is the best time to do it. She has a reputation and PCS advantage over someone like Radionova or Pogorilaya to still make the team even if she isn't always clean and other youngsters are still in juniors. Maybe Liza if she gets herself together could try 3A (and she needs it more than Adelina), but I'm not sure about her. My bet is on someone like Gubanova, she is very young, but her jumps are huge and technically correct, or Tsurskaya, they will need difficulty when they are eligible to make the team, because competition in Russia is only going to get harder.
As for Americans, Gold has an ability, but I don't think it will happen under Carroll. Mirai - no, I don't believe she could land and get it ratified, she has trouble to even rotate her triples. As for Japanese, I'm not sure about younger ones like Honda, but older girls have a lot of technical issues and flawed technique. Even Mao mostly needed her 3A to cover her lack of consistent 3-3 and her UR issues (and still she lost to Yuna who didn't even have 3Lo, let alone 3A, but had a consistent 3Lz-3T and other jumps)

That's good news to make Asada most happy. It will be greate to see 3A again in future.

NMURA

Medalist
Sotnikova's (toe) jumps are high but she doesn't have fast rotation. That's why she often receives UR calls. Maybe that could be overlooked in Russia but not everywhere. Doubtful about her 3A, let alone the quad. She has some advantages in reputation to allow her a few mistakes, though. Anyway I hope she tries more difficult jumps than the 3Lz-3T, which can be done by a 11 y/o novice girl these days. I don't think Sotnikova is seriously aiming for the next Olympics. She may need motivations other than medals.

Tuktamysheva -- she doesn't have much to lose now. At least, she can try not worrying too much about results. But if she can't improve her SP consistency, even landing a lucky 3A won't be enough to go anywhere higher than GPS.

Lip and Radionova -- They will be able to make european/world teams as long as they skate reasonably clean. So they don't have strong motivation to make technical challenges. Also their 2A are small and rather ugly.

jennyanydots

On the Ice

Actually a 2A having more height than a 3A isn't out of the ordinary. A skater has to pull in sooner on a 3A so that the height of the jump is often compromised. Agree that Adelina isn't a quick rotator. She's better off working on correcting her flutz and underrotated 3-3's.

Vanshilar

On the Ice
Maybe Adelina could try 3A, on Russian Olympic broadcast they compared elements of different skaters (jumps for singles, throws and twists for pairs) and measured height and distance. They compared Mao's 3A and Adelina's 2A, Adelina's jump was higher, so it seems she has an ability to at least try.

Huh do you have a link for that? I wonder how the Russians do their math. I haven't seen any ladies' 2A's that are remotely close to the height of Mao's 3A. Although some of the numbers may change when I do a more detailed analysis, using air time as a proxy for height, for the Olympic FS so far it looks like Mao's 3A is around 17/25 = 0.68 seconds (counting number of frames in the air from a video running at 25 FPS), while Adelina's was 14/25 = 0.56 seconds. Adelina's, Yuna's, and Carolina's 3Lz's (the first jump of the program) were all about 15/25 = 0.60 seconds, by comparison. Mao's SP 3A where she fell was around 33/50 = 0.66 seconds, to give you an idea of how much height (or rotation, etc.) she has.

Granted, Mao's own 2A later in the program was also 14/25 = 0.56 seconds, so it's certainly possible that if Adelina puts a 3A (or 2A) at the beginning of her program it will have similar height as Mao's 3A, seeing as how their 2A's in the middle of the program had pretty much the same height (Yuna's and Carolina's were smaller). But that's significantly different than saying that Adelina's 2A in the middle of her program was higher than Mao's 3A at the top of hers.

Yes I've read that a 3A is not necessarily higher than a 2A (the additional revolution comes from getting into the rotation position earlier as well as having a tighter position -- Mao's rotation speed in her 3A is slightly faster than Yulia's in her 3Lz IIRC), but it seems like for the ladies so far this holds up; Mao's 3A is simply higher than any other jump in the Olympics that I've measured so far.

gravy

¿No ven quién soy yo?
Record Breaker
Huh do you have a link for that? I wonder how the Russians do their math. I haven't seen any ladies' 2A's that are remotely close to the height of Mao's 3A. Although some of the numbers may change when I do a more detailed analysis, using air time as a proxy for height, for the Olympic FS so far it looks like Mao's 3A is around 17/25 = 0.68 seconds (counting number of frames in the air from a video running at 25 FPS), while Adelina's was 14/25 = 0.56 seconds. Adelina's, Yuna's, and Carolina's 3Lz's (the first jump of the program) were all about 15/25 = 0.60 seconds, by comparison. Mao's SP 3A where she fell was around 33/50 = 0.66 seconds, to give you an idea of how much height (or rotation, etc.) she has.

Granted, Mao's own 2A later in the program was also 14/25 = 0.56 seconds, so it's certainly possible that if Adelina puts a 3A (or 2A) at the beginning of her program it will have similar height as Mao's 3A, seeing as how their 2A's in the middle of the program had pretty much the same height (Yuna's and Carolina's were smaller). But that's significantly different than saying that Adelina's 2A in the middle of her program was higher than Mao's 3A at the top of hers.

Yes I've read that a 3A is not necessarily higher than a 2A (the additional revolution comes from getting into the rotation position earlier as well as having a tighter position -- Mao's rotation speed in her 3A is slightly faster than Yulia's in her 3Lz IIRC), but it seems like for the ladies so far this holds up; Mao's 3A is simply higher than any other jump in the Olympics that I've measured so far.

Exactly. A great jumper would be someone who can combine delaying the twisting as long as possible to achieve more height and someone who can then twist quickly enough to fit in the rotations before landing. It's a very difficult thing to do. Midori Ito always comes to my mind when considering these two criteria.

Meoima

Match Penalty
Exactly. A great jumper would be someone who can combine delaying the twisting as long as possible to achieve more height and someone who can then twist quickly enough to fit in the rotations before landing. It's a very difficult thing to do. Midori Ito always comes to my mind when considering these two criteria.
When it comes to jumping ability, Midori Ito is = :bow::bow::bow: