Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Skate Canada Announces 2014-2015 National Team

News Skate Canada Announces 2014-2015 National Team

PRESS RELEASE

OTTAWA, ON: Skate Canada is pleased to announce its 2014-2015 National Team. Comprised of 25 senior members, the team includes five men, four women, three pair teams, five ice dance teams.

To be named to the National Team a skater must finish in the top five in senior singles, pair and ice dance disciplines at the Canadian Tire National Figure Skating Championships, or be added at the discretion of the International Committee. These skaters may be considered to represent Canada at international competitions.

Their appointment to the national team is effective from June 1, 2014 through to April 30, 2015.

Skate Canada also announced the three teams that will make up the Skate Canada Synchronized Skating National Team.

Men’s
    Patrick Chan, 23, Toronto, Ont.
    Kevin Reynolds, 23, Coquitlam, B.C.
    Liam Firus, 22, North Vancouver, B.C.
    Elladj Baldé, 23, Pierrefonds, Que.
    Nam Nguyen, 16, Toronto, Ont.

Ladies
    Kaetlyn Osmond, 18, Marystown, Nfld. & Sherwood Park, Alta.
    Gabrielle Daleman, 16, Newmarket, Ont.
    Véronik Mallet, 20, Sept-Iles, Que.
    Alaine Chartrand, 18, Prescott, Ont.

Pair
    Meagan Duhamel, 28, Lively, Ont. & Eric Radford, 29, Balmertown, Ont.
    Kirsten Moore-Towers, 22, St. Catharines, Ont. & Michael Marinaro, 22, Sarnia, Ont.
    Brittany Jones, 18, Toronto, Ont. & Joshua Reagan, 24, Waterloo, Ont.

Ice Dance
    Tessa Virtue, 25, London, Ont. & Scott Moir, 26, Ilderton, Ont.
    Kaitlyn Weaver, 25, Waterloo, Ont. & Andrew Poje, 27, Waterloo, Ont.
    Alexandra Paul, 22, Barrie, Ont. & Mitchell Islam, 24, Barrie, Ont.
    Piper Gilles, 22, Toronto, Ont. – Colorado Springs, CO. & Paul Poirier, 22, Toronto, Ont.
    Nicole Orford, 21, Burnaby, B.C. & Thomas Williams, 23, Vancouver, B.C.

Synchronized Skating
    NEXXICE, Burlington SC
    Les Suprêmes, CPA Saint-Léonard
    Edge, Skate Oakville

Custom Title
    So Virtue and Moir aren´t taking the year off?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by cruzceleste View Post
    Chan's name is there too.
    I believe it's par for the course, since neither of them have announced their retirement, to keep their names on the list, irrespective of whether not they have GP assignments.
    Possibly just a formality until the skaters themselves formally say they aren't coming back?

Celebrating the Excellence of #VirtueMoir golden411's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cruzceleste View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by anyanka View Post
    Chan's name is there too.
    I believe it's par for the course, since neither of them have announced their retirement, to keep their names on the list, irrespective of whether not they have GP assignments.
    Possibly just a formality until the skaters themselves formally say they aren't coming back?
    @SkateCanada's reply today to a Twitter query:
    ... #VirtueMoir @Pchiddy will not compete on the GP circuit this fall but have not made a decision as to the 2015 half of the season.
    10:34 AM - 8 Jul 2014
    https://twitter.com/SkateCanada/stat...63882727911425

Yeah, I was surprised to see those three on the list too. I think Chan may do the second half but I doubt V/M will.

Custom Title
    No Jeremy Ten? Is this like Skate Canada's ISP?

P/B Appreciation Squad fleeting's Avatar
    I kind of doubt we'll see V/M back at all this season. Without D/W, it would probably feel like a pretty hollow victory. And since they aren't doing the GP series, they can't win GPF, which is really the only thing they haven't won on the senior circuit.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by icellist View Post
    That's weird. He has a GP event. Although I'm totally cool with the National team as set out. Ten's a lovely skater but he's got a shaky 3A and doesn't attempt quads... a bit of a Shawn Sawyer in some respects.

Celebrating the Excellence of #VirtueMoir golden411's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by icellist View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CanadianSkaterGuy View Post
    That's weird. He has a GP event. Although I'm totally cool with the National team as set out. Ten's a lovely skater but he's got a shaky 3A and doesn't attempt quads... a bit of a Shawn Sawyer in some respects.
    Maybe not so common, but not unique either.

Another example this year of a GP assignment for skaters not on Skate Canada's national team: ice dancers Elisabeth Paradis / Francois Xavier Ouellette, who are assigned to Skate Canada International.

Last year, Purich/Tran competed at TEB without being named to Skate Canada's national team (IIRC).

Custom Title
    Why they don't replace the retired skaters by the 6th or 7th place finisher at national? To make 5 skaters in the 4 disciplines ?

I would have like that Alexandra Najarro replace Amelie Lacoste place, she has great expression and shows much maturity in her skating compared to the youngsters.

Custom Title
    No... Tessa and Scott must return to win GPF...

(Good luck to Team Canada).

Quote Originally Posted by CanadianSkaterGuy View Post
    I'm following him on Twitter and he can do quads in practice, so I'm not sure why he's never attempted one in competition, especially since I think he trains with McLeod along with Kevin Reynolds, the Quad King.

Tessa and Scott to compete in 2014/2015 Link inside.

http://www.freep.com/article/2014070...canada-skating

Chan will also be competing.

I wonder if the silver medals (both V/M and Chan expected Gold) influenced their decision.

Custom Title
    I don't think that they are on the team list mean they are going to compete. I think they just left door open for them if they would like to compete in later season, but nothing sure.

Maybe so, but the writer did mention that the original thought was retirement and they took this to mean that they were not retiring. D/W announced year off and aren't listed on any of our team stuff for 2014/15 so that is something. If they do compete I wonder if they will change coaches or stay in Canton with Marina. I know many were reporting rumors of them cleaning lockers and selling condos, but I have not seen that out of any credible news sources, only from posts on here and at FSU.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast