Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Isabella Tobias & Ilia Tkachenko Team Up For Israel

Custom Title

Isabella Tobias & Ilia Tkachenko Team Up For Israel

There's been little coverage of this asides from a picture on the IFS magazine's Facebook page and this article (there are a few more, but none in English):

http://www.olimpiazzurra.com/2014/07...biastkachenko/

There's also a small fan page on Facebook that was started up on July 6, 2014:

https://www.facebook.com/tobiastkachenko?fref=ts

Thoughts? Lots of questions from me, including:

- Who will have to acquire new citizenship? One or both partners?
    - Where shall the pair train? He was last training with Katya in Odintsovo and she was last training in Novi, Michigan.
    - Who will coach the pair? Will he move to the US so that her coach Igor Shpilband will coach them? (They'll share ice time with Cappellini / Lanotte?)
    - How are they covering their finances? I understand that Isabella is from a very wealthy family.
    - Will the Russian skating federation release Ilia?
    - When will they actually compete, as they will have to sit out one year due to the change in nationality?

a cat watching figure skating alebi's Avatar
    according to neveitalia (http://www.neveitalia.it/sport/figur...ura-in-pillole) Isabella seems to have Israel's origins but if they're really going to compete for Israele they'll have to skip next season

my thoughts? LOL... she can really do everything with money

Quote Originally Posted by alebi View Post
    according to neveitalia (http://www.neveitalia.it/sport/figur...ura-in-pillole) Isabella seems to have Israel's origins but if they're really going to compete for Israele they'll have to skip next season

my thoughts? LOL... she can really do everything with money
    Actually, if Tobias has the requisite Jewish ancestry, she doesn't need money; Israeli citizenship would be very easy for her to obtain. Tkachenko would have a far more difficult time of it, however.

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    I take it that Tkachenko does not have Jewish ancestry, say on his mother's side?

Custom Title
    Only one partner has to have citizenship to compete at Worlds, though.
    The question is why Israel? Would Russia be more amenable to releasing Tkachenko to skate for Israel than for Lithuania?

Yeah, that is funny that they didn't just go for Lithuania because I don't think they'd have much competition there, either, and Isabella just got citizenship there.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckm View Post
    Only one partner has to have citizenship to compete at Worlds, though.
    That's not correct. To represent a country at GP events/Europeans/Worlds no one needs citizenship. But they both need citizenship if they wanted to go to Olympics.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by blue_idealist View Post
    Yeah, that is funny that they didn't just go for Lithuania because I don't think they'd have much competition there, either, and Isabella just got citizenship there.
    The question is whether Russian Federation would release him to skate for Lithuania. I read somewhere here on the forum that there are not very warm relationships between Russian and Lithuanian skating federations. Whereas Russian Federation is quite happily releasing skaters to skate for Israel (e.g. Shelepen got released pretty quickly).

Quote Originally Posted by hanca View Post
    The question is whether Russian Federation would release him to skate for Lithuania. I read somewhere here on the forum that there are not very warm relationships between Russian and Lithuanian skating federations. Whereas Russian Federation is quite happily releasing skaters to skate for Israel (e.g. Shelepen got released pretty quickly).
    Ah, ok.

This can be the reason why she changed from Lithuania to Israel when the fed worked so hard to grant Lithuanian citizenship. Maybe they already know that for a Russian skater this is impossible.

Medalist
    I wonder if she wants to make another go for the Olympics? Will that give her 3 passports now? Isn't there some limit to how many passports you can hold at one time? Perhaps she will need to renounce one (I assume Lithuanian).

Any word on whether Ilja has the required Jewish ancestry for Israeli citizenship? This would be a strange choice if not.

Just an average girl
    Quote Originally Posted by MalloryArcher View Post
    I wonder if she wants to make another go for the Olympics? Will that give her 3 passports now? Isn't there some limit to how many passports you can hold at one time? Perhaps she will need to renounce one (I assume Lithuanian).

Any word on whether Ilja has the required Jewish ancestry for Israeli citizenship? This would be a strange choice if not.
    Ilia does not need to have Jewish ancestry. Israel will recognize the team based on her background. However, to get citizenship, he will have to join the Israeli army, which he may not want to do. As I recall, that was largely ceremonial for Sergei Sakhnovsky, who was half Jewish, but it's still a very really commitment.

Mmmh... what you're saying makes me think this couple won't have a very long life =/

On the Ice
    That's not correct. To represent a country at GP events/Europeans/Worlds no one needs citizenship. But they both need citizenship if they wanted to go to Olympics.
    To represent a country at europeans and worlds one partner of a team needs citizenship. It is required at credentialing. Both for Olympics!!

On the Ice
    Quote Originally Posted by Pixie Cut View Post
    Ilia does not need to have Jewish ancestry. Israel will recognize the team based on her background. However, to get citizenship, he will have to join the Israeli army, which he may not want to do. As I recall, that was largely ceremonial for Sergei Sakhnovsky, who was half Jewish, but it's still a very really commitment.
    He only needs to join the army if hes under 21.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast