Isabella Tobias & Ilia Tkachenko Team Up For Israel | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Isabella Tobias & Ilia Tkachenko Team Up For Israel

Mattieu

Medalist
What if a team has two skaters from two different countries who have permanent residency status or residency in a third country where the live/work/train? Say two Europeans with Visas/Residency in the US skating for the US?

I am sure IT/IT have figured out their issues regarding both of their citizenship, it would be far too risky to take this route publicly if they had not.

Residency doesn't count, one of them has to have citizenship of the nation they are representing!!

hanca

Record Breaker
Can you give an example of a pair or dance team who skated at Europeans/ Worlds where neither partner had citizenship in the country they represented?

I can't at this particular moment come up with any pairs or dance couple, but in singles the skater also doesn't have to have the citizenship of the country they represent at Europeans or worlds. Citizenship is needed only for Olympics.

Mattieu

Medalist
I can't at this particular moment come up with any pairs or dance couple, but in singles the skater also doesn't have to have the citizenship of the country they represent at Europeans or worlds. Citizenship is needed only for Olympics.

The ISU requires a singles skater to be a citizen of the country he is representing. In dance and pairs only one of them needs to be a citizen, except for the olympics where both of them need to be citizens of the country they are representing.

cassiem

On the Ice
The ISU requires a singles skater to be a citizen of the country he is representing. In dance and pairs only one of them needs to be a citizen, except for the olympics where both of them need to be citizens of the country they are representing.
Elizaveta Ukolova began representing the Czech Republic in 2011
http://www.isuresults.com/bios/isufs_cr_00013651.htm
but her bio says "She received Czech citizenship in 2012."
http://www.isuresults.com/bios/isufs00013651.htm

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Elizaveta Ukolova began representing the Czech Republic in 2011
http://www.isuresults.com/bios/isufs_cr_00013651.htm
but her bio says "She received Czech citizenship in 2012."
http://www.isuresults.com/bios/isufs00013651.htm

Interesting.

Text below is an excerpt from Rule 109 (applicable to international competitions, but not the Olympics), as cited in ISU Communication. No. 1420 -- "Citizenship / Residence requirements and Clearance Procedure." (Emphases added.)

a) In principle, a Skater may compete only as a member of the Member of the country of which he is a citizen;

b) a Skater may compete for the Member of the country of which he is not a citizen if he fulfils the following conditions:
i) he has resided for at least one year in that country and has been permitted to compete for that Member by the National Association of the country of which he is a citizen, or he has resided for at least one year in that country and he (or his parents if he is not of age) has applied for citizenship in that country;
ii) before July 1st immediately prior to his first International Competition as a member of the Member, he has not competed in any International Competition or ISU Championship for another Member during the twelve (12) preceding months;
iii) before July 1st immediately prior to his first ISU Championship as a member of the Member, he has not competed in any International Competition or ISU Championship for another Member during the twenty-four (24) preceding months;
iv) Any denial of a request for permit by the Member submitted in accordance with sub-paragraph (i) above may be the subject of a request to the Council by the involved Skater or any involved Member for exceptional permission as provided in paragraph 5 of this Rule;​

c) in the case of a pair or an ice dance couple, one partner at least must be a citizen of the country of the ISU Member for which the pair or dance couple competes. The other partner may be a citizen or resident of a country of any other Member. The residence and permit requirements and the waiting periods stated above in paragraph 2.b, (i), (ii), and (iii) and in paragraph 3 do not apply to such partner. However, if such partner has already represented another Member, regardless of the discipline, the permit from the Member the Skater represented is required and the waiting period 12 months from the day of the last competition in which the Skater represented another Member applies;