Isabella Tobias & Ilia Tkachenko Team Up For Israel | Golden Skate

Isabella Tobias & Ilia Tkachenko Team Up For Israel

anyanka

Record Breaker
There's been little coverage of this asides from a picture on the IFS magazine's Facebook page and this article (there are a few more, but none in English):

http://www.olimpiazzurra.com/2014/0...ra-cambio-di-nazionalita-per-tobiastkachenko/

There's also a small fan page on Facebook that was started up on July 6, 2014:

https://www.facebook.com/tobiastkachenko?fref=ts

Thoughts? Lots of questions from me, including:

- Who will have to acquire new citizenship? One or both partners?
- Where shall the pair train? He was last training with Katya in Odintsovo and she was last training in Novi, Michigan.
- Who will coach the pair? Will he move to the US so that her coach Igor Shpilband will coach them? (They'll share ice time with Cappellini / Lanotte?)
- How are they covering their finances? I understand that Isabella is from a very wealthy family.
- Will the Russian skating federation release Ilia?
- When will they actually compete, as they will have to sit out one year due to the change in nationality?

Buttercup

Record Breaker
according to neveitalia (http://www.neveitalia.it/sport/figu...ta-giorni-di-pattinaggio-di-figura-in-pillole) Isabella seems to have Israel's origins but if they're really going to compete for Israele they'll have to skip next season

my thoughts? LOL... she can really do everything with money :think:
Actually, if Tobias has the requisite Jewish ancestry, she doesn't need money; Israeli citizenship would be very easy for her to obtain. Tkachenko would have a far more difficult time of it, however.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I take it that Tkachenko does not have Jewish ancestry, say on his mother's side?

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Only one partner has to have citizenship to compete at Worlds, though.
The question is why Israel? Would Russia be more amenable to releasing Tkachenko to skate for Israel than for Lithuania?

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
Yeah, that is funny that they didn't just go for Lithuania because I don't think they'd have much competition there, either, and Isabella just got citizenship there.

hanca

Record Breaker
Only one partner has to have citizenship to compete at Worlds, though.

That's not correct. To represent a country at GP events/Europeans/Worlds no one needs citizenship. But they both need citizenship if they wanted to go to Olympics.

hanca

Record Breaker
Yeah, that is funny that they didn't just go for Lithuania because I don't think they'd have much competition there, either, and Isabella just got citizenship there.

The question is whether Russian Federation would release him to skate for Lithuania. I read somewhere here on the forum that there are not very warm relationships between Russian and Lithuanian skating federations. Whereas Russian Federation is quite happily releasing skaters to skate for Israel (e.g. Shelepen got released pretty quickly).

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
The question is whether Russian Federation would release him to skate for Lithuania. I read somewhere here on the forum that there are not very warm relationships between Russian and Lithuanian skating federations. Whereas Russian Federation is quite happily releasing skaters to skate for Israel (e.g. Shelepen got released pretty quickly).

Ah, ok.

alebi

Medalist

This can be the reason why she changed from Lithuania to Israel when the fed worked so hard to grant Lithuanian citizenship. Maybe they already know that for a Russian skater this is impossible.

MalloryArcher

On the Ice
I wonder if she wants to make another go for the Olympics? Will that give her 3 passports now? Isn't there some limit to how many passports you can hold at one time? Perhaps she will need to renounce one (I assume Lithuanian).

Any word on whether Ilja has the required Jewish ancestry for Israeli citizenship? This would be a strange choice if not.

Pixie Cut

On the Ice
I wonder if she wants to make another go for the Olympics? Will that give her 3 passports now? Isn't there some limit to how many passports you can hold at one time? Perhaps she will need to renounce one (I assume Lithuanian).

Any word on whether Ilja has the required Jewish ancestry for Israeli citizenship? This would be a strange choice if not.

Ilia does not need to have Jewish ancestry. Israel will recognize the team based on her background. However, to get citizenship, he will have to join the Israeli army, which he may not want to do. As I recall, that was largely ceremonial for Sergei Sakhnovsky, who was half Jewish, but it's still a very really commitment.

alebi

Medalist
Mmmh... what you're saying makes me think this couple won't have a very long life =/

Robin26

Rinkside
That's not correct. To represent a country at GP events/Europeans/Worlds no one needs citizenship. But they both need citizenship if they wanted to go to Olympics.

To represent a country at europeans and worlds one partner of a team needs citizenship. It is required at credentialing. Both for Olympics!!

Robin26

Rinkside
Ilia does not need to have Jewish ancestry. Israel will recognize the team based on her background. However, to get citizenship, he will have to join the Israeli army, which he may not want to do. As I recall, that was largely ceremonial for Sergei Sakhnovsky, who was half Jewish, but it's still a very really commitment.

He only needs to join the army if hes under 21.

hanca

Record Breaker
To represent a country at europeans and worlds one partner of a team needs citizenship. It is required at credentialing. Both for Olympics!!

There were plenty of skaters who represented a country at Europeans/worlds without having citizenship.

carriecmu0503

On the Ice
There were plenty of skaters who represented a country at Europeans/worlds without having citizenship.

Can you give an example of a pair or dance team who skated at Europeans/ Worlds where neither partner had citizenship in the country they represented?

Mattieu

Medalist
Can you give an example of a pair or dance team who skated at Europeans/ Worlds where neither partner had citizenship in the country they represented?

You cannot skate in ISU competitions unless one of the team has citizenship of the country they are representing ;)

alebi

Medalist

This is true if their partner has citizenship. But it's not enough for Olympics, in fact Tobias, Ziganshina, Guignard and many more I don't recall were in trouble till the end. Popova is an example of one who took part to many Euro/World but couldn't join the Olympics.

Tangoer

Spectator
You cannot skate in ISU competitions unless one of the team has citizenship of the country they are representing ;)

What if a team has two skaters from two different countries who have permanent residency status or residency in a third country where the live/work/train? Say two Europeans with Visas/Residency in the US skating for the US?

I am sure IT/IT have figured out their issues regarding both of their citizenship, it would be far too risky to take this route publicly if they had not.