Sotnikova to headline field at NHK Trophy | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Sotnikova to headline field at NHK Trophy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Icey

Record Breaker
It will be interesting to see how Sotnikova handles being an OGMedalist. Lots to live up to and high expectations.

Jack has been a sports journalist in Japan for more than 15 years.

skatedreamer

Medalist
Country
United-States
Sotnikova will be well-received in Japan. She was invited to ice shows there and there was no, controversy, and no haters assembling. I didn't agree with the Sochi result but I for one look forward to seeing her attack and hope she's got some kick-a$$ programs for the year.

The author writes from his opinion first, and his choice of language in some instances is inflammatory and provocative. This has a major editorial slant to it that really should be left out of straight reporting and confined to his Olympic wrap-up article from last winter.

I was curious enough to click on Gallagher's bio in the Japan Times. Apparently he has done a lot of work in PR as well as sports writing; to me it sounds like he has chosen to ignore the idea that PR-type editorializing has no place in serious journalism.

anyanka

Record Breaker
I was curious enough to click on Gallagher's bio in the Japan Times. Apparently he has done a lot of work in PR as well as sports writing; to me it sounds like he has chosen to ignore the idea that PR-type editorializing has no place in serious journalism.

That's what rankles in this article. He wrote a strong, persuasive (if provocative) piece on the Sochi ladies' free skate event. It was clear it was an opinion piece. Perhaps he should have left it out here in what should be pure reporting on the GP series. Thoughts?

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
This is part of his ICE TIME column, so it's not a straight news story:http://www.japantimes.co.jp/sports/column/ice-time/

Personally I don't think it was as bad as everyone thought it was. To sum it up: He writes that it's time for a new season. Last season, there was a controversial result that I and many others don't agree with, but we must move on. And this season, the person who was at the center of that controversial result is at NHK.

He only spends about 12 percent of his 853-word column talking about Sochi, it's hardly an Adelina hate piece. He doesn't insult Adelina's skating at all in the piece, just the judging and the ISU.

anyanka

Record Breaker
This is part of his ICE TIME column, so it's not a straight news story:http://www.japantimes.co.jp/sports/column/ice-time/

Personally I don't think it was as bad as everyone thought it was. To sum it up: He writes that it's time for a new season. Last season, there was a controversial result that I and many others don't agree with, but we must move on. And this season, the person who was at the center of that controversial result is at NHK.

He only spends about 12 percent of his 853-word column talking about Sochi, it's hardly an Adelina hate piece. He doesn't insult Adelina's skating at all in the piece, just the judging and the ISU.

As usual Mrs. P, you've given a clear-eyed view on this.
And agreed that he wasn't hating on Adelina, although he certainly disagreed vehemently with the judging.
Thanks for your analysis, as always. :)

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Then maybe the OP which apparently only posts his articles should stop putting the news icon on their posts. Of course that's just my opinion. :biggrin:

Some of us are protective of this sport for our own individual reasons....it's hard to not :rolleye: when poorly written articles with clear bias keep appearing. Whether its news or opinion it isn't being recieved well by some.

papa

Match Penalty
Other notable entries will see American Mirai Nagasu vie for honors at Skate America and the Cup of Russia, and Russia’s Julia Lipnitskaia (who finished fifth in Sochi) in the field at the Cup of China and Trophee Bompard.
That's really "adequate" description of Yulia's 2013-14 season. "Congrats" to the author. :sarcasm::disapp:

Sam-Skwantch

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
That's really "adequate" description of Yulia's 2013-14 season. "Congrats" to the author. :sarcasm::disapp:

My guess is that he only watched the Olympics in terms of figure skating. Maybe even only the individual event. I prefer him to leave her out of his stories if at all possible. :)

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
It's just annoying to read a so-called-journalist write things like "The Korean Skating Union’s understandable protest of the decision by a suspect panel of judges was recently denied by the International Skating Union in another miscarriage of justice." What was suspect about the panel? There was one Russian judge in the LP and none in the SP, yet both panels gave Adelina almost the same PCS as Yuna. It's unnecessarily inflammatory with no analysis to back it up.

Yeah, IMHO Mr. Gallagher missed the chance to say, "It's a new skating season and Olympic Gold Medalist Adelina Sotinikova will be at NHK to take on the next generation of skaters from Japan and around the world! Yay!"

Instead, as Phil Hersh would say, Gallagher's lead is same old, same old.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Yeah, IMHO Mr. Gallagher missed the chance to say, "It's a new skating season and Olympic Gold Medalist Adelina Sotinikova will be at NHK to take on the next generation of skaters from Japan and around the world! Yay!"

Instead, as Phil Hersh would say, Gallagher's lead is same old, same old.

Phil Hersh would never write that either. ;)

AliceInWonderland

On the Ice
Did he even read what the KSU submitted to the ISU? It was garbage and deserved to be rejected

Now I'm one of the ones who believe that awarding Adelina the gold was a mistake but she's far from being a bad skater. This article is complete garbage, full of bitterness, she didn't reward herself that gold, the judges did.

:thumbsup:

Sam-Skwantch

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Or post in my thread here :)
http://www.goldenskate.com/forum/showthread.php?50873-Global-Language-of-Inspiration&highlight=

Seriously though. No one is asking for all good news but instead I think there is a cry for fair and insightful news or opinions instead of biased and spiteful news. There is a difference and it os not unreasonable IMO.

And they do exist. IT's just that they're not talked about very often because they don't post anything controversial.

Jeff Seidel, a columnist at Mathman's hometown paper, the Detroit Free Press, has written a variety of interesting analysis and columns on figure skating since he took over for Jo Ann Barnes last year. He did a great piece on the strong Ice Dance presence in Detroit: http://www.freep.com/article/20140216/COL38/302160088/sochi-olympics-ice-dancing-canton

Nancy Armour who used to work for AP but is now at USA Today also does great work: She wrote a great piece about Hanyu overcoming his challenges to win gold: http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...ating-men-winter-olympics-sochi-2014/5478783/

The best way to support these kind of writers is to post their stories on social media and also express praise to them personally. Trust me, they will appreciate it!

^ I think Drivingmissdaisy’s point is that besides the two judges that you mentioned, there were also seven other judges from all over the world and they liked Sotnikova’s performance, too. And so did the nine short program judges, none of whom were from Russia.

I look at it this way. My favorite skater missed out on the Olympic Gold Medal twice, both times losing to skaters that I will go to my grave believing that she was better than. But Tara in 1998 and Sarah in 2002 skated like they wanted it, and that’s how it turned out.

MK's Winter

Record Breaker
^ I think Drivingmissdaisy’s point is that besides the two judges that you mentioned, there were also seven other judges from all over the world and they liked Sotnikova’s performance, too. And so did the nine short program judges, none of whom were from Russia. I look at it this way. My favorite skater missed out on the Olympic Gold Medal twice, both times losing to skaters that I will go to my grave believing that she was better than. But Tara in 1998 and Sarah in 2002 skated like they wanted it, and that’s how it turned out.

MM you are always in my head.

skatedreamer

Medalist
Country
United-States
As usual Mrs. P, you've given a clear-eyed view on this.
And agreed that he wasn't hating on Adelina, although he certainly disagreed vehemently with the judging.
Thanks for your analysis, as always. :)

Agree; Mrs. P is spot-on. :yes: My beef is that the first 12% of the article sort of drowned out the rest of it, which was legitimate news. The "move on" concept got lost in his rant at the ISU.

Even though I basically agree w/ Gallagher's opinion, the self-righteous tone he takes just rubs me the wrong way. I, of course, am always right and never, ever self-righteous. (And if you believe that, there's a bridge not far from here that's for sale -- a famous one that has a nice view of Brooklyn! :laugh:)

Status
Not open for further replies.