Not open for further replies.

satine

v Yuki Ishikawa v
Record Breaker
Wow. I was not expecting the article to be so rancid.. :slink:

alebi

Medalist
bah.. I don't know what to say except for this

With Mao choosing to sit out this season and Akiko Suzuki retired, the Japan Skating Federation will be fielding a much younger and inexperienced lineup in the women’s events.

Murakami, Imai and Miyahara are young but definitely not inexperienced!

HanDomi

Record Breaker
With Sochi silver medalist Patrick Chan of Canada and Daisuke Takahashi taking the season off, it appears that Hanyu’s primary competition is likely to come from Kazakhstan’s Denis Ten, the surprise bronze medalist in Sochi.

:unsure:

That was clearly written by someone ho didn't watched too much figure skating events past season apart from olympics...

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I should have stopped at the byline.

alebi

Medalist
:unsure:

That was clearly written by someone ho didn't watched too much figure skating events past season apart from olympics...

I think it refers mainly to Japan NHK, that's why Fernandez is never mentioned!

EDIT sorry I checked and not even Ten is joining NHK... so the article is really nonsense!

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Pathetic article. Poor Adelina. I hope she takes bodyguards to this event if this is an indication of her reception there.

The men's part was a laugh. Here is the men's lineup for NHK: Reynolds, Luan, Liebers, Righini, Hanyu, Mura, Kim, Voronov, Abbott, Farris, Miner. That is hardly a weak field. Any of Reynolds, Liebers, Mura, Abbott, Farris or Miner could end up on that podium with Hanyu, who will unquestionably also experience what that article so disparagingly refers to as "home cooking"!

NMURA

Medalist
I must say men's field is weak. Hanyu could win by 25 points margin even with 3-4 errors.

Sotnikova will be welcome by Japanese fans since Kim is loathed by the large majority of them.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I disagree. Any of Reynolds, Mura, Voronov, Farris or Abbott could challenge if they hit and Hanyu was less than clean. But Hanyu will get home scoring, too, which has to be taken into account.

jace93

On the Ice
I disagree. Any of Reynolds, Mura, Voronov, Farris or Abbott could challenge if they hit and Hanyu was less than clean. But Hanyu will get home scoring, too, which has to be taken into account.

I think that the only way that any of those skater has to beat Hanyu is to have the competition of a lifetime (like Reynolds 2013 4cc, Abbot 2014 worlds, Voronov 2014 europeans, all possibly with better sp rispect those competition) and Hanyu having Skate America 2013, 4cc 2013, Skate Canada 2014 kinda of skate... not impossible, but a far cry from a sure bet... and that's not even counting home advantage...

HanDomi

Record Breaker
^

Yeah, Hanyu will have to totally bomb, and someone from mentioned group to have perfect skate to beat him on the free, not mentioning there is still SP in which he has usually quite a margin counting last season. We will see, but if Hanyu will master 4S then there is no option at this two grand prix events to beat him, because it was 4sal that was causing most of his problems in free skates last season :scowl:

Hopefully everyone will have great skates ;)

YesWay

四年もかけて&#
Record Breaker
Pathetic article.

As soon as you see the name "Jack Gallagher", you know it's going to be garbage.

Looks like he is still crying himself to sleep every night because his queen wasn't awarded Olympic gold, and this article is just a thinly disguised excuse to air his bitterness some more.

Krunchii

Record Breaker
The Korean Skating Union’s understandable protest of the decision by a suspect panel of judges was recently denied by the International Skating Union in another miscarriage of justice. I

Did he even read what the KSU submitted to the ISU? It was garbage and deserved to be rejected

Now I'm one of the ones who believe that awarding Adelina the gold was a mistake but she's far from being a bad skater. This article is complete garbage, full of bitterness, she didn't reward herself that gold, the judges did.

Last edited by a moderator:

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Sotnikova has never been that solid in her GP skates. Part of what made her Olympic win so controversial was it was the FIRST win she'd had in two seasons of senior competition. She had never won a Senior B, a GP event or Euros, or even stood on the podium at Worlds.

anyanka

Record Breaker
Sotnikova will be well-received in Japan. She was invited to ice shows there and there was no, controversy, and no haters assembling. I didn't agree with the Sochi result but I for one look forward to seeing her attack and hope she's got some kick-a$$ programs for the year.

The author writes from his opinion first, and his choice of language in some instances is inflammatory and provocative. This has a major editorial slant to it that really should be left out of straight reporting and confined to his Olympic wrap-up article from last winter.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
She had never won a Senior B, a GP event or Euros, or even stood on the podium at Worlds.

Is Golden Spin of Zagreb a Senior B? She, Carolina and Yuna won the event in the last three years. But I agree, her results didn't make her one of the gold medal favorites; going in to Sochi I think everyone viewed her chances behind Yuna, Caro, Mao, Julia and perhaps Akiko, Ashley and Gracie.

Sotnikova has never been that solid in her GP skates. Part of what made her Olympic win so controversial was it was the FIRST win she'd had in two seasons of senior competition. She had never won a Senior B, a GP event or Euros, or even stood on the podium at Worlds.

I don't see anything controversial about someone skating only so-so at one competition, then skating great at the next.

Adelina's win at Sochi was "controversial" only in the sense that some people thought Yuna Kim skater better, while others disagreed. The same will probably happen at NHK. Some fans will like Sotnikova's performance, maybe others will like Miyahara's.

Status
Not open for further replies.