Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: Sotnikova to headline field at NHK Trophy

Custom Title
    Sotnikova has never been that solid in her GP skates. Part of what made her Olympic win so controversial was it was the FIRST win she'd had in two seasons of senior competition. She had never won a Senior B, a GP event or Euros, or even stood on the podium at Worlds.

Custom Title
    Sotnikova will be well-received in Japan. She was invited to ice shows there and there was no, controversy, and no haters assembling. I didn't agree with the Sochi result but I for one look forward to seeing her attack and hope she's got some kick-a$$ programs for the year.

The author writes from his opinion first, and his choice of language in some instances is inflammatory and provocative. This has a major editorial slant to it that really should be left out of straight reporting and confined to his Olympic wrap-up article from last winter.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckm View Post
    She had never won a Senior B, a GP event or Euros, or even stood on the podium at Worlds.
    Is Golden Spin of Zagreb a Senior B? She, Carolina and Yuna won the event in the last three years. But I agree, her results didn't make her one of the gold medal favorites; going in to Sochi I think everyone viewed her chances behind Yuna, Caro, Mao, Julia and perhaps Akiko, Ashley and Gracie.

Quote Originally Posted by chuckm View Post
    Sotnikova has never been that solid in her GP skates. Part of what made her Olympic win so controversial was it was the FIRST win she'd had in two seasons of senior competition. She had never won a Senior B, a GP event or Euros, or even stood on the podium at Worlds.
    I don't see anything controversial about someone skating only so-so at one competition, then skating great at the next.

Adelina's win at Sochi was "controversial" only in the sense that some people thought Yuna Kim skater better, while others disagreed. The same will probably happen at NHK. Some fans will like Sotnikova's performance, maybe others will like Miyahara's.

Size 7 Knife Boots Sam-Skwantch's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by chapis View Post
    Adelina is welcome in
    Japan, and Gallagher is not japanese
    ^This

Love your avatar

Custom Title
    It will be interesting to see how Sotnikova handles being an OGMedalist. Lots to live up to and high expectations.

Jack has been a sports journalist in Japan for more than 15 years.

Landing 3As in my dreams! skatedreamer's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by anyanka View Post
    Sotnikova will be well-received in Japan. She was invited to ice shows there and there was no, controversy, and no haters assembling. I didn't agree with the Sochi result but I for one look forward to seeing her attack and hope she's got some kick-a$$ programs for the year.

The author writes from his opinion first, and his choice of language in some instances is inflammatory and provocative. This has a major editorial slant to it that really should be left out of straight reporting and confined to his Olympic wrap-up article from last winter.
    I was curious enough to click on Gallagher's bio in the Japan Times. Apparently he has done a lot of work in PR as well as sports writing; to me it sounds like he has chosen to ignore the idea that PR-type editorializing has no place in serious journalism.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by skatedreamer View Post
    I was curious enough to click on Gallagher's bio in the Japan Times. Apparently he has done a lot of work in PR as well as sports writing; to me it sounds like he has chosen to ignore the idea that PR-type editorializing has no place in serious journalism.
    That's what rankles in this article. He wrote a strong, persuasive (if provocative) piece on the Sochi ladies' free skate event. It was clear it was an opinion piece. Perhaps he should have left it out here in what should be pure reporting on the GP series. Thoughts?

This is part of his ICE TIME column, so it's not a straight news story:http://www.japantimes.co.jp/sports/column/ice-time/

Personally I don't think it was as bad as everyone thought it was. To sum it up: He writes that it's time for a new season. Last season, there was a controversial result that I and many others don't agree with, but we must move on. And this season, the person who was at the center of that controversial result is at NHK.

He only spends about 12 percent of his 853-word column talking about Sochi, it's hardly an Adelina hate piece. He doesn't insult Adelina's skating at all in the piece, just the judging and the ISU.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. P View Post
    This is part of his ICE TIME column, so it's not a straight news story:http://www.japantimes.co.jp/sports/column/ice-time/

Personally I don't think it was as bad as everyone thought it was. To sum it up: He writes that it's time for a new season. Last season, there was a controversial result that I and many others don't agree with, but we must move on. And this season, the person who was at the center of that controversial result is at NHK.

He only spends about 12 percent of his 853-word column talking about Sochi, it's hardly an Adelina hate piece. He doesn't insult Adelina's skating at all in the piece, just the judging and the ISU.
    As usual Mrs. P, you've given a clear-eyed view on this.
    And agreed that he wasn't hating on Adelina, although he certainly disagreed vehemently with the judging.
    Thanks for your analysis, as always.

Then maybe the OP which apparently only posts his articles should stop putting the news icon on their posts. Of course that's just my opinion.

Some of us are protective of this sport for our own individual reasons....it's hard to not when poorly written articles with clear bias keep appearing. Whether its news or opinion it isn't being recieved well by some.

Custom Title
    Other notable entries will see American Mirai Nagasu vie for honors at Skate America and the Cup of Russia, and Russia’s Julia Lipnitskaia (who finished fifth in Sochi) in the field at the Cup of China and Trophee Bompard.
    That's really "adequate" description of Yulia's 2013-14 season. "Congrats" to the author.

Quote Originally Posted by papa View Post
    That's really "adequate" description of Yulia's 2013-14 season. "Congrats" to the author.
    My guess is that he only watched the Olympics in terms of figure skating. Maybe even only the individual event. I prefer him to leave her out of his stories if at all possible.

Custom Title
    It's just annoying to read a so-called-journalist write things like "The Korean Skating Union’s understandable protest of the decision by a suspect panel of judges was recently denied by the International Skating Union in another miscarriage of justice." What was suspect about the panel? There was one Russian judge in the LP and none in the SP, yet both panels gave Adelina almost the same PCS as Yuna. It's unnecessarily inflammatory with no analysis to back it up.

Yeah, IMHO Mr. Gallagher missed the chance to say, "It's a new skating season and Olympic Gold Medalist Adelina Sotinikova will be at NHK to take on the next generation of skaters from Japan and around the world! Yay!"

Instead, as Phil Hersh would say, Gallagher's lead is same old, same old.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast