Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: Sotnikova to headline field at NHK Trophy

Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    Yeah, IMHO Mr. Gallagher missed the chance to say, "It's a new skating season and Olympic Gold Medalist Adelina Sotinikova will be at NHK to take on the next generation of skaters from Japan and around the world! Yay!"

Instead, as Phil Hersh would say, Gallagher's lead is same old, same old.
    Phil Hersh would never write that either.

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. P View Post
    Phil Hersh would never write that either.
    See? That's why I need to be a newspaper reporter. Only good news.

See? That's why I need to be a newspaper reporter. Only good news.
    MM you're welcome to start your own website.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Krunchii View Post
    Did he even read what the KSU submitted to the ISU? It was garbage and deserved to be rejected

Now I'm one of the ones who believe that awarding Adelina the gold was a mistake but she's far from being a bad skater. This article is complete garbage, full of bitterness, she didn't reward herself that gold, the judges did.

Size 7 Knife Boots Sam-Skwantch's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. P View Post
    MM you're welcome to start your own website.
    Or post in my thread here
    http://www.goldenskate.com/forum/sho...ion&highlight=

Seriously though. No one is asking for all good news but instead I think there is a cry for fair and insightful news or opinions instead of biased and spiteful news. There is a difference and it is not unreasonable IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam-Skwantch View Post
    Or post in my thread here
    http://www.goldenskate.com/forum/sho...ion&highlight=

Seriously though. No one is asking for all good news but instead I think there is a cry for fair and insightful news or opinions instead of biased and spiteful news. There is a difference and it os not unreasonable IMO.
    And they do exist. IT's just that they're not talked about very often because they don't post anything controversial.

Jeff Seidel, a columnist at Mathman's hometown paper, the Detroit Free Press, has written a variety of interesting analysis and columns on figure skating since he took over for Jo Ann Barnes last year. He did a great piece on the strong Ice Dance presence in Detroit: http://www.freep.com/article/2014021...dancing-canton

Nancy Armour who used to work for AP but is now at USA Today also does great work: She wrote a great piece about Hanyu overcoming his challenges to win gold: http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports...-2014/5478783/

The best way to support these kind of writers is to post their stories on social media and also express praise to them personally. Trust me, they will appreciate it!

^ I think Drivingmissdaisy’s point is that besides the two judges that you mentioned, there were also seven other judges from all over the world and they liked Sotnikova’s performance, too. And so did the nine short program judges, none of whom were from Russia.

I look at it this way. My favorite skater missed out on the Olympic Gold Medal twice, both times losing to skaters that I will go to my grave believing that she was better than. But Tara in 1998 and Sarah in 2002 skated like they wanted it, and that’s how it turned out.

In reference to this article >

Keeper of the Kweens OGM. MK's Winter's Avatar
    ^ I think Drivingmissdaisy’s point is that besides the two judges that you mentioned, there were also seven other judges from all over the world and they liked Sotnikova’s performance, too. And so did the nine short program judges, none of whom were from Russia. I look at it this way. My favorite skater missed out on the Olympic Gold Medal twice, both times losing to skaters that I will go to my grave believing that she was better than. But Tara in 1998 and Sarah in 2002 skated like they wanted it, and that’s how it turned out.
    MM you are always in my head.

Landing 3As in my dreams! skatedreamer's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by anyanka View Post
    As usual Mrs. P, you've given a clear-eyed view on this.
    And agreed that he wasn't hating on Adelina, although he certainly disagreed vehemently with the judging.
    Thanks for your analysis, as always.
    Agree; Mrs. P is spot-on. My beef is that the first 12% of the article sort of drowned out the rest of it, which was legitimate news. The "move on" concept got lost in his rant at the ISU.

Even though I basically agree w/ Gallagher's opinion, the self-righteous tone he takes just rubs me the wrong way. I, of course, am always right and never, ever self-righteous. (And if you believe that, there's a bridge not far from here that's for sale -- a famous one that has a nice view of Brooklyn! )

In search of a summer sport to love <3 desertskates's Avatar
    Thanks, Mrs P. for providing the link to the fair articles! Although I'm not a fan of some results, I hate attacks that place so much weight on the shoulders of girls that are so young. I'm really happy to see Adelina's return. I truly had doubts that she would, but it proves that she is tough as nails.

On the Ice
    Quote Originally Posted by desertskates View Post
    Although I'm not a fan of some results, I hate attacks that place so much weight on the shoulders of girls that are so young.
    Can't agree more, all these hate attacks are not really necessary. As she is a (deserved or not) gold medalist, I do have high expectations and can't wait for her performance.

Custom Title
    I look at it this way. My favorite skater missed out on the Olympic Gold Medal twice, both times losing to skaters that I will go to my grave believing that she was better than. But Tara in 1998 and Sarah in 2002 skated like they wanted it, and that’s how it turned out.
    Until you mentioned Tara I thought you were talking about Mao

Medalist
    holy crap someone finally said it! sotnikova came to beat herself, which she did. kim did not come to beat herself, and she did not. both were deserving, but it defaulted to adelina since she wanted it more. nuff said.

Custom Title
    What a bitter, badly-written, poorly researched article. If you're going to write about the GP series, it's best not to drown out the actual news with ramblings about Sochi judging. It's reports like this that are turning me off from the hardcore Yuna crowd (even when I agree with them on the issue). Adelina doesn't deserve this crap. Heck, Yuna doesn't deserve certain crazy fans (of which this writer seems to be one) making her entire fandom look nutty.

Even the part about the actual GP series is pretty .

Russia’s Julia Lipnitskaia (who finished fifth in Sochi)
    Such a good summary of Yulia's accomplishments. Not misleading readers at all.

With Sochi silver medalist Patrick Chan of Canada and Daisuke Takahashi taking the season off, it appears that Hanyu’s primary competition is likely to come from Kazakhstan’s Denis Ten, the surprise bronze medalist in Sochi.
    I'm not sure even Team Denis Ten has that much confidence in Denis Ten.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast